Air Shield users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I just really really really hope the DEVs read these posts before putting it on the live server.... if not what's the point of QA.

FBohler likes this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

You might want to use the QA feedback section instead, that is where they actually read the feedback on any recent changes.

3. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

Hello @Chris and @Elgarion please read todays comments in this feed before making the decision to patch live. Thank you.

FBohler likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't think new players will be all that affected, because light armor scales up just fine in the early game. You don't start seeing those big hits from mobs until t5 at least, not counting the occasional "+" boss in some lower tier scenes.

I suspect that this is the root of the overall problem; a lot of the game was designed when the developers didn't think anybody would ever GM a skill, and T5 was the toughest thing in the game. The armor system, for both light and heavy, works just great at those levels. But once they started throwing 500 point single hits at you, it just doesn't scale anymore.

I don't deny for a second that a .2 transfer rate is OP. But it's like trying to target millionaires by increasing everyone's taxes the same. The millionaires are still millionaires; it's the guy with a 30k income is the one who feels it. I'd like to find a semi-viable light armor build that doesn't rely on Shield of Air but still lets me get at least some of the bosses I could solo two months ago. I'd be weaker, but at least I'd be out from under the nerf hammer for a while. It may well be that the air shield changes will not hurt me too much. I just don't think for one hot second it'll be the last time it gets nerfed. I was fine and happy with a .4-.5 transfer rate, and if those guys getting .1 and .2 are now getting .3 and .4, I'd bet they can still do a lot of stuff most people can't, and that'll mean another nerf next month.

FBohler and Xee like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I didn't know about this. Wow....

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm not going to bother changing my build.

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Just added on QA, not necessarily going to be in with the new release, but I suspect it will be.

I think the solution for everyone screaming about Torpid Torment is to give it a chance to remove any shield spell, not just SoA. Evenly applied pain and all that. It does feel a little less like a balance change and more like a grudge against a specific class having it only affect the Air tree.

King Robert and FBohler like this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Also, root doesn't necessarily cancel SoA, it has a chance to cancel any one Air buff. So you could just as easily lose your Air's Embrace. Which, again, feels a little more like a vendetta against air than a "balance" change.

King Robert and FBohler like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Even worse.

Cordelayne, FBohler and Krovakin like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Chaos does not make for fun game play.

Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Indeed. "Oops, guy who's entire defense is movement and an magic shield, now you are stuck and have no armor."

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I mean, if these went in for PvP only, I think it would be less of a problem, but still a bit too targeted to feel fair.

FBohler, Krovakin and Barugon like this.
  13. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

So I just spent the last hour testing a no SOA archer build including a frogkin ring and this was the results..... I had 142.25 combat dodge modifier, 90 damage avoidance 1k hp. I was able to kite in spindle for 1.5 pulls .... half way through the 2nd pull 2 spiders 3 shot me and NOT the shadow spiders.... they were savage spiders and did 300+ damage per hit and I didn't dodge once.... I died.... yes I hear people now ... but but but solo is no no.... but here is the thing that means even in a group if an archer is fighting with a tank from a distance and a shadow spider or savage spider pops up and webs him boom dead.... and remember this is a 145+ adv lvl player not a lvl 120..... that's is a ton of dodge and it did nothing.... so again without SOA leather is useless.....

FBohler likes this.
  14. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

Oh and for the record that was my best run. Dodge hardly worked at all and a lot of the time the shadow spiders aoe almost 1 shot me with my avoidance and 1k hp. I'm going to try and up my avoidance more and see but so far the no SOA leather build is not looking good. SOA might work for light armour mages with crazy high focus regen but for archers focus costs and lower focus to get the dex an archer needs SOA is just a focus drain more then a shield the way it is on the QA right now. I spent about 50% of the fight just keeping my focus up and thats not fighting mobs with torpid.... if leather armour had better dmg resist a none SOA archer might be doable but as it stands it's not much better then cloth. These test raised some questions though like what's the point of dodge if 140+ dodge can't keep you alive when you dodge only 3 or 4 out of 8 hits on average in a high teir zone.... and yes that's from me testing it.

FBohler likes this.
  15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

You know, this is the kind of scenario that I find enjoyable in other games! ESO Imperial city Sewers was an open pvp area with plenty of mobs to fight, and several bosses scattered throughout the Sewers. Some of these bosses actually roamed the Sewers, so if you were busy fighting mobs (or players), these roaming bosses could get behind you and one shot your team.

As for your run in Spindleskog, which difficulty was it? Normal, hard or extreme? Makes a big difference I would say.

Now here is the thing, If all sources of rooting can remove a buff from the air tree, it might be a bit too much, granted, and maybe Chris should tone it down, reduce the chance or what not, but for everything else changed, I think this should simply promote group play as well as pulling fewer mobs at once, making us look a bit less like demigods and a bit more like adventurers fighting challenging monsters, at least that is how I see it.

16. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

It was extreme but this is my concern.... currently I pull 8-10 mobs at a time and drink focus pots as often as they cooldown.... when I tried it with the non SOA runs It didn't matter if it was 1 mob or 10, if they hit me I was almost dead..... Its hard for me to compare how this would affect lower archers, but the main point is mages with high focus and int can still use SOA as intended and take dmg in extreme with 0.4 (I tested it) and not die, but archers who have much lower focus and SOA will be useless have no backup alternative.... plate has high resist and health, cloth (mages) have high focus for SOA, archers should be in the middle but they are not. they are just as squishy as cloth wearers and our go to is dodge which was doing almost nothing for me.... I am going to test a new build now a heavy armour archer and see how that goes but this once again makes leather pointless which is my whole argument .... I am fine with never using SOA again as an archer if that's what the devs want, but if they want players to have equal gameplay (or so they say from all the archer nerfs) then don't allow heavy plate to pull 2-4 mobs in spindle (seen it), mages to pull as many as they want (see it daily) but an archer not be able to survive in spindle against 1 or 2 mobs (since a shadow blast will almost or 1 shot them), because that's exactly how it plays out if SOA gets this nerf and is useless to archers so bye bye leather.

Barugon and FBohler like this.
  17. Restless

Restless Avatar

What I'm reading here is "extreme shouldn't mean extreme" and "ranged should be as powerful as mages with magic".

Vesper likes this.
  18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

One simple question:

What does recasting buffs add to gameplay overall? Is it any fun? Is it any rewarding?

King Robert likes this.
  19. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Yes, and yes. Build a good deck, react and counter. As opposed to face tank.

20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

It's called a challenge. Usually, as games get harder, mechanics are introduced to make the game harder, such as having your buffs get dispelled or some attacks become unblockable or stuff like that. Basically, this just means that now instead of walking around with a 60% damage mitigating shield that wears off only when you run out of focus, some mobs have the ability to dispell it, meaning you need to pay attention to your buff and consider having it on a hotbar that you can quickly swap to mid combat, instead of it being a "cast and forget" kind of spell. I use Shield of Air, and I do not see the issue with this new PvE mechanic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.