1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Increase greatly skill buff time

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by FBohler, Apr 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Please increase every buff time to at least 10 minutes @ GM 5-stack.
    No need to extend the "higher effectiveness" time though, as these have a valid and meaningful function in combat.

Reason for the request: swapping decks to buff up between every fight don't add to any level of fun or challenge or reward.

Superbitsandbob and Ysold like this.
  2. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I disagree. Deck building and swapping helps make choices meaningful. In certain zones, I live or die by which buffs I choose to keep going, and I like that strategy and skill play a part instead of just everybody has everything all the time. Chris has given us a complex deck building system, and what you're asking for doesn't sound like fun at all. It sounds like easy mode.

Restless, Adam Crow, Chiasma and 7 others like this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

It adds challenge because you need to build your decks to compensate for these short buff durations, you can either go without your buffs so you don't have to refresh them, which makes you weaker, or find a way to add them to your rotation, and managing your decks and buffs is a skill that you need to train. The reward is being able to run with all these buffs and thus become stronger, and the fun part comes from not having a game with mindless combat.

I agree with Margaritte here, the deck system is very well thought out forcing you into decisions, and making buff durations longer removes this decision making.

Restless, Adam Crow, necronut and 5 others like this.
  4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I currently do everything you both @Violet Ronso and @Margaritte mentioned.

It's not fun, rewarding or challenging for me. It's not "hard" or "complex" either, it's as easy and straight forward as pressing the same button over and over again. It's mindless repetition and managing tiny icons below my health bar.

From my point of view, it's just a nuisance that adds nothing to the game.

If you guys need a meaning to the constant refreshing of those skills, maybe the longer duration could be a lesser version of the buff which is slightly weaker than the current ones. This would make it for me, for I don't find managing icons a very rewarding gameplay mechanic.

I think we may agree to disagree because clearly we have very different standards for what's a challenge and what's fun to play.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  5. necronut

necronut Avatar

I completely agree with Margaritte and Violet here. Simply put, the reason I enjoyed any mmo I've played is the player skill and attention to detail required to stay on top of your buffs and debuffs.

If it's on all the time, I'm not having fun, I'm playing half asleep and on autopilot with my chin in my hand. That's not fun. That's a nuisance and it's not fun to play.

I want challenge, I want my attention to be a requirement, and I want to have to acquire greater skill at playing the game... this easy mode suggestion takes more away from player agency than adding to it.

6. SeyuNanatus

SeyuNanatus Avatar

Ez to Learn - Hard to Master.

Alternative - Only Buff class - Bard + Magic Buffer - Only Live Player.

In Linaege 2 we all time play with - blade dance, sword singer, pp, ee - only class who can only buff party :))

But we play Shroud of the Avatar, in this game group gaming die :))
    And we not need solo buff with 10m, it's just kill hardcore gaming.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think the issue has less to do with buff times and more to do with how many buffs are needed to make any build viable in endgame content. If I only had to keep an eye on three or four timers (and it was a little easier to see the damn things on the screen) it would be a viable method of balancing power. Watching 5-9 of them is a pain. (Sure, some of you are young and agile and gud enough to keep up. But given the average age of players here seems to be on the higher end...) It would be nice if a few more of these were introduced as passives rather than short duration buffs. Especially some of the armor school ones, as those passives would then only be in play if you wearing that type of armor, which would help limit players from having all the buffs all the time. Plus, given the long cast times on some of them, you end up spending as much or more of your combat time rebuffing rather than fighting. But it's probably too late to go back and redo stuff without shrieks of horror from everyone.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  8. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Exactly. It's doable for heavy armour (though not ideal), but the casting time for the most important buffs for light armour is far too long and the duration too short. A hunting trip in light armour is spent mostlty in rebuffing.

FBohler likes this.
  9. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

I find it one of the worst parts of the combat deck system. Zero fun having to keep up with all of the buffs. I'd rather spend more slots on other things. In fact it negatively impacts choice at the high end game as there I skills I would like to try, but they are pretty necessary. Maybe it is because I can only remember playing MMO's without this need. Are there any other games where you have to micro manage buffs to such an extent?

FBohler likes this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

ESO had a bunch of short duration buffs back when I played it, as well as Black Desert Online.

Superbitsandbob likes this.
  11. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Haven't played BDO but I seem to remember many of the buffs in ESO were tied into attack skills so a 10 second buff to damage or defence or whatever had much more value as it damaged the mobs as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.