A little help please re: taming

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Losian, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Losian

Losian Avatar

Long story short - been messing around on the offline mode the past few days getting a feel for things and whatnot!

Did a bunch of silver mining, got collars and all made, tamed a critter, and for the life of me I *cannot* get it to fight anything. It ignores me being hit, it ignores itself being hit, it doesn't respond to Numpad 6 (numlock on or off), etc. etc. I get the "ignores your command" in the chat window, even.

I tried searching a bit and found all the stuff about cursor and reticle hover, which is *major* awkward when numpad is on the same side as the mouse, but okay.. still didn't work. :( Is there something I'm missing here? A lot of these systems receing updates and overhauls makes it harder still to find current information.

tl;dr - tamed pet won't fight no matter what I do, even when hovering the cursor and all, just ignores command. I even get the 'ignores' response whn trying to use numpad 1/2/3.. are some tamables not capable of combat whatsoever? Is there NO where to see this information? It's one thing to be kinda obfuscated and mysterious, it's another to just be.. utterly in the dark as to whether something is broken or not, and why~

I'm starting to think some things just can't fight, but it'd be nice to.. know that somehow. I just tried fighting a stag and realized they don't fight back - in fact, they don't run or anything, they just walk around as if nothing is happening.. which is weird in and of itself, but stags aren't exactly as non-combative as, say, a chicken or something, so.. I dunno. Do we have no choice at all but to use the same ol' wolves/bears/dragons?

FrostII likes this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Have you checked its current stance? Maybe your pet is set to Passive Stance and thus wont ever fight!

To check this, simply right click on its health bar or on the actual pet, and you should be able to change it to Aggressive (Fight anything it sees) or Defensive (Fights what is hurting you)

FrostII likes this.
  3. Losian

Losian Avatar

There are no such options whatsoever, further leading me to believe some pets just can't fight whatsoever, I guess?

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

5. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

What is the animal you tamed? Is a naturally aggressive one like a wolf, or a "grey"one?

6. Losian

Losian Avatar

I have seen that guide, and several others, none of which mention a bunch of animals have no ability to fight whatsoever. I also didn't see it anywhere more official, either! As mentioned already, I have the creature tamed, I summon it, no amount of hotkey mashing with or without the cursor hovered does anything other than "ignored the command." In fact, you can't even set their stance, that is also "ignored." So I'm going to assume a bunch of animals just can't fight at all.

And I tried both a stag and doe, neither of which.. do anything, actually.

I mean, I "get" it, I guess.. but it's not like a chicken or rabbit or somethin'. Countless herbivores regularly kill carnivores and people for that matter, so it didn't seem like much of a stretch.. especially when you're already in a video game environment by which waving a collar at a wolf magically enslaves it to you for life with perfect obedience and immediate understanding of numerous complex commands, but hey~

Is it a rule of thumb that only "naturally aggressive" animals you tame can actually fight?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

does actually don't have an attack in game, so i understand that one, but i just tamed an obsidian stag, summoned it, and set it to aggressive and it charged off and killed a brown bear. a stag SHOULD be working for you.

vulcanjedi and Margaritte like this.
  8. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Perhaps it was a Young Stag

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  9. Losian

Losian Avatar

It was whichever sort of stag is in the Solace Bridge area since that's what I was most familiar with! When I attacked another one it didn't fight back, so it seems a good test is to see if the animal fights at all when fought, and go from there. Mayhaps I can find some other stags prior to the obsidian (they seem high level based on the various guides) and try that~

Ysold likes this.
  10. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

Try a squeeker. They are a level 1 pet that seem pretty nasty with a knockback and stun :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.