Welcome New Players!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Berek, Jun 9, 2016.

1. mrvongrimmsy0

mrvongrimmsy0 Avatar

Welp, it's been a fun ride, but I think I'm getting off here.

It's been a few days since I've asked for assistance, and outside of one person attempting to help I got nothin' but crickets; I know it's not this forum's job, but 'support' hasn't gotten back to me either, and it very much is their job.

I'm basically here saying: "Please help me find out how to give you money!", and getting no response. That leads me to believe that less serious/important issues may fare even worse when asking for help, but I digress~

I think I got involved in the game too late. That's the biggest problem. Not enough people around to lend a hand, not enough good plots to stake a claim, and far too many ghost towns reserved for people that just don't seem to be coming.

Should just stick to single-player, I guess. At least there I won't be struggling for gold, wishing I could afford the basic necessities of trying to GM the craft skills, and feeling like I take 3 steps back with every 1 step forward.

Thanks to those that welcomed me, and the sole person that helped me in-game.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

The game is not about reaching the ultimate power level quickly. I have not been able to play much, because I cannot play much through the week because of my RL job. Help on the weekends is much easier to obtain and starting a crafting career before you establish yourself as at least a medium adventurer can be very hard. I'm curious as to where you started and where you asked for help? If you can make it to the weekend I plan to play Saturday morning at 8am to 12noon eastern standard time. Login at that time and Voltage Hurricane will lend a hand and help you. The key will be finding a guild that has some likeminded individuals with the same outlook on how you want to play. This isnt a consume the content, get to the end game boss and finish type of game. It's more of a relaxed social game that has tons of things to do and how you play is completely up to you. In some cases, the game just might not be your cup of tea. But if you feel you could have stuck it out to see you progress with a little assistance, look for me at that time...I will be watching universe chat.

Drowan likes this.
  3. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

I saw in an earlier post you were having fun and just 1 week later frustration has set in?? that seems like the game just might not be for you....it doesnt operate at that kind of pace normally. I cannot help you with the technical issue you were experiencing and i'm sorry you havent gotten a resolution.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not to say you're wrong, but I find that hard to believe; this community bends over backwards to help people out.

I think I see the problem- a lot of people gloss over this thread. It's better to start a new thread when asking a question; that'll get more people's attention.

Though, it's been a while- do you still need to pay to get forum access beyond the new player forum? If so, I would suggest checking out the game's Discord channel, many of the most helpful people in the forums hang out over there, too.

Drowan and Anpu like this.
  5. mrvongrimmsy0

mrvongrimmsy0 Avatar

Hey again, all.

It wasn't necessarily the lack of help from players that set me off, just that the support staff for the game themselves seemed to be ignoring my plight (and I've heard from them since - along of the lines of 'sorry, we must've missed your e-mail') - I wanted to sign up for Rewards Program, but due to living in China, parts of the web page they send you to for linking the RP to Steam are blocked. So, short of China changing its internet policies (pretty much impossible), I literally can't start a subscription.

And this leads to me not being able to report bugs (which I have since, through another player's help), and not being able to engage in the community outside of this one thread. All of these issues culminated in pissing me off, and having me walk way from the game... but not for good.

I've been back, still playing, and have engaged with people in /u chat extensively; I'll refrain from posting my in-game name, because this whole situation is downright embarrassing. But I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, I just wish that the RP issue could be resolved! I want COTOs so I can purchase unbreakable tools, damnit! >_<

Alley Oop likes this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. This game can be a little hard to figure out. Plus, there's only a few devs actually working on it. I expect emails probably take a bit to answer. Plus, they're all in Texas, which got roughed up pretty badly by the weather recently. Some of 'em are probably just getting things back to normal now.

mrvongrimmsy0 likes this.
  7. mrvongrimmsy0

mrvongrimmsy0 Avatar

Well I didn't really have any issues figuring things out within the game itself, I'd classify it more as a technical/billing issue; but if you want an example of a complicated game that is brutally unforgiving, try out Kenshi. :p

My biggest problem as a new player in Sota has been trying to keep a moderate amount of gold on hand to cover crafting costs, tools constantly breaking/needing repair, and paying lot taxes. Things have eased up a bit as my skills have improved (...and since I received a generous and surprising windfall from a very kind player), since I can craft some of the repair kits now (as far as carpentry, blacksmith, and tailor tools go, anyway), but I just wish I could start an RP subscription to avoid having the constant nickel and diming hanging over me; yet it seems it's just not going to be in the cards for me.

If Portalarium accepted WeChat as a form of payment, it'd be a non-issue - I've bought games on Steam using WeChat with no issue whatsoever. But I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon~

And I was totally unaware that they were in Texas - my hopes and prayers are with them. Those people got dealt a **** hand, no doubt.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  8. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Just as an FYI, the player that was helping you in-game was a developer incognito playing in their free time. This person is the part-time CS/Admin person, and they've indicated a ticket could not be located. If you're still having issues, please do put in a ticket (and if it would be a second one, apologies) at support@portalarium.com, and we'll do our best to knock it out within 10 days of your request. We usually get them done in the first 1-3 days. We're a tiny team, and there are a lot of you guys, so please be understanding that these things take time, but we always make strong attempts to get every ticket to as complete of a resolution as possible.

9. mrvongrimmsy0

mrvongrimmsy0 Avatar

I did send another email to that address when they responded, along with a copy of the first original email; I also sent another email today, apologizing for my hot-headedness. >_<

Unfortunately as previously stated, I don't think my issue can be helped, short of some sort of change in Portalarium's available payment options. Other than the Rewards Program snafu, I haven't had any real issues to speak of - the few weird things/bugs I discovered, I went over with the incog admin (and - looking back on how helpful he was - I feel even more like a jerk now).

I guess I'll just have to tough it out. The only other thing I could end with is this: Please, please, please consider allowing players to craft Tool Repair Kits and/or to create their own tools. I know we can make cleavers and pots, but we should really be able to make the whole gamut. I know it'd make my dream of being a multi-GM craftsman easier to realize, for one. :D

Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  10. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

Glad to see you have crossed several of the hurdles associated with your plight. Keep in mind this game is very rough on the cash side if you are trying to become a crafter early in your career. The resources and money necessary can be painful. If you can hang in there though you will find it gets much easier as your adventuring level and skills go up. Goodluck!!

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

I followed a similar path and the key for me was being able to kill the mobs (particularly ghosts) in Elysium Mines. Once you can mine there solo, cash and crafting xp needed to get where you want to be, gets MUCH easier.

Time Lord and Elwyn like this.
  12. jayjayarrr75

jayjayarrr75 Avatar

Greetings all.
    I've always wanted to get into playing this game, but for one reason or another never got around to it.
    This may very well be a loaded question, but is it worth while to invest (spend money) at this point in time?
    I see that it still gets updated, but notice it's awfully quiet (in-game and boards) compared to other online titles.
    Anyway, thanks for reading.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You don’t need to spend any money. Hop in, finish the Solace Bridge Outskirts quests, get your free row lot and head to a Player Owned Town and claim a lot and start setting up your home.

But do feel free to spend money like purchasing COTO’s on the official website or join the optional Rewards Program. This helps fund our game.

Let us know if you have more questions and welcome!

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Time Lord, jayjayarrr75 and Elgarion like this.
  14. Zortan

Zortan Avatar

Hello all, I am new to this game and fish a lot. Fishy fishy come to me.....

Time Lord, Elgarion and Winfield like this.
  15. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

And you can also fish in Lava using a Lava Rod and Gemmed Lures. The fun never ends until you run out of bait.
    vj

Time Lord, Elgarion and Winfield like this.
  16. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Welcome fellow fisher!! May the Fish be with you! Here are some ideas:

1. Learn a lot about fishing on SotAWiki. https://sotawiki.net/sota/Fishing_Skills
    2. Ask the NPC Town Criers about Rumors. They usually tell you which towns (2) have the daily boost (higher probability of catch) for fishing.
    3. Look for lots of Fishing competitions announced in the forums. They are a great way to relax, meet people, and get experience.
    4. And of course, sing my Fish Song! https://www.sotawiki.net/sota/Community:Fish_Song

-- Winfield

Drowan, Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

FISH!

Winfield, Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  18. Joe95

Joe95 Avatar

Hi eweribody

Drowan, Anpu, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  19. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Welcome! How are you today? Are you out adventuring?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

@Joe95 ! We've all been waiting for you!'
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

tphilipp likes this.