1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Dev Review] PLAY button issues / GfxDevice is in invalid state

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by QuObert, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

After the patch (this a.m.), the Play button has not worked. I DID play for about 30 minutes before the scheduled maintenance this morning.

I could find no reports of this problem so I removed the game from my PC and re-installed from the web site download. The game ran automatically after that re-install... but now, after I shut down the game to run errands and have returned; the PLAY button does nothing... again.

Been playing for weeks without any problems. I don't know of any other "play" button but just in case... this is the PLAY button in the small dialog window that you get after the launcher checks for updates and is ready for you to launch the game.

PS tried running launcher from folder instead of shortcut... after 2 times got Error During Update message. Error while starting executable at path: C:/Users/ (file path). It has the "Force Launch" and "Retry" options. Will re-try and then use "Force Launch".

Retry option gets the same error. Force Launch option... can't tell, the Error stays there so I can't tell if nothing happened or if the message popped up over the previous error msg.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

okay, if the play button in the small window does nothing, that's not the game, that's the launcher. you don't HAVE to use the launcher to play, only to update. try to find the game executable and run it directly.

3. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Maybe you have multiple instances of the launcher running unintentionally some how and that's causing an issue -- try rebooting your PC?

Like Alley said, you can run the game .exe file directly (as long as it's patched with the launcher), which on Windows is "Shroud of the Avatar.exe"

You might also want to check your security software or AV software, to see if it's interfering or blocking the launcher or Shroud of the Avatar.exe for some reason.

Please report back if any of this helped and/or with any more details or info; marking post as needs more info.

QuObert, Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  4. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

Thank you Alley Oop, I have done that with no luck... which caused me to think it wanted me to use the launcher to prevent someone directly running the .exe. But now that I think of it, maybe I did directly run the .exe when I had this problem 6 or more months ago. Maybe I need to document every last thing because I don't remember exactly what I did last month much less 6 months ago. :/

OK UPDATE, thanks so much for "tickling" my memory. I was able to run the .exe, but only if I did a "Run as Admin...". Sheesh, I don't know why it has decided that admin needs to run it... all of a sudden. I've been using the launcher for 1.5 years. :/

Thanks much to those who have replied!!!!

Echondas likes this.
  5. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

And thanks Echondas, I did check my antivirus to see if it was interfering. I guess not but it has it's own issues, even though it is lifetime license... another subject for another day. I'm in!!!!!!

Echondas likes this.
  6. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

Guess I'll have to re-open this one (thinks about screaming). So now the game is giving the error once again. I changed the shortcut to "run as admin.." but neither the shortcut nor the .exe (when run as admin) gives me a PLAY button/dialog that works. After a few minutes, if ever, I get that dialog box with buttons to "Force Launch" or "Retry" and those don't work in any case. I AM an admin on this f'ing PC so not having permissions (I think) means that only the game has those permissions. Well the game is f'ing things up!!!!

7. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

This seems to be my problem and why the Play button does not work for me. I guess this is the video card?

Game keeps trying for a good while then I guess it gives up. Here is most of it.

Torrent Loaded, infohash: 69-A4-80-C0-20-5F-7C-BB-B4-3A-25-86-0E-8A-2E-BD-4D-87-77-D3
    Torrent Loaded, infohash: 8C-01-59-E3-FA-53-C6-C3-1F-72-A9-BE-77-AE-C1-37-6E-11-53-1C
    Torrent Loaded, infohash: 24-5E-31-83-45-66-D5-BC-51-D9-67-C0-CD-28-27-6D-44-0A-65-EF
    Torrent Loaded, infohash: 96-67-51-E9-50-04-58-87-BE-CE-AB-69-19-F6-52-01-53-FC-8D-D4
    Torrent Loaded, infohash: 2D-00-E4-F9-E9-BA-B6-DA-34-87-5C-FC-DB-02-96-77-71-02-FC-FE
    HandleD3DDeviceLost
    HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
    Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename: Line: 778)

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

8. Echondas

@QuObert I merged your post into the original thread and re-opened the bug report. Discussing internally how to proceed.

9. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

Thanks so much, @Echondas. This last full re-install has me up an running for now. Don't see how this might have affected things but the previous re-install was different than all the others. On my previous re-install of SOTA, I changed the install directory to the all users folders, rather than my own personal ... Users\"myusername"\AppData\Local\Programs\Shrou...Avatar\. I don't know how or if this caused this issue but decided to put it back there (my username folders) where it has been since first installed in 2019 and is right now.

Maybe it is really hardware and it is running fine now since it is a lot cooler in the room than it was earlier today. The room was not "hot" (I can't take hot very well so I know this much) but certainly not as cool/comfortable as it is now. Lots of reasons not to think this had anything to do with changing the install folder; but then I don't know much about those error codes so will shut up now.

I never want to have you guys tied up with things like this but I do appreciate any time you put into it.

Alley Oop likes this.
  10. Echondas

@QuObert I didn’t think to ask what folder you installed to - i bet there was probably a permissions issue using the allusers folder as an install destination; that folder isn’t really intended for a full software install but for things like desktop shortcuts and such on a multi-user account / shared machine.
    You're better off using a sub-folder under program files or something like \games\installdir

Going to mark this resolved again - please reply back if you run into issues again,

Thanks !

11. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

@Echondas It is not working this morning, after 2 more installs. While there are actually no other users on this PC, I have been installing (including this most recent) to my named-user folder under users\. I only installed to that default folder for all users, that one time.

Still it does seem that it is likely a permissions thing as the error message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." is what I get when I run the .exe directly as administrator. So administrator does not have appropriate permissions is what I get from that.

Looking at permissions... the three entities there (System, Administrator and ME) ALL have the same permissions. So how this is a permissions thing I don't understand.

BELOW IS EXCERPT FROM THE LAUNCHER LOG ==========================================================================
    Start Got the settings and latest online version

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

NeedsToUpdate? thisVersion=1382 onlineVersion=1382:(

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

arguments: -single-instance -popupwindow -logFile "C:\Users\QuObert\AppData\Local\Programs\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar_Data\sota_log.txt"

Starting game at: C:/Users/QuObert/AppData/Local/Programs/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe

SetError: Error while starting executable at path: C:/Users/QuObert/AppData/Local/Programs/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe

ApplicationQuit:failed

Setting up 4 worker threads for Enlighten.
    Thread -> id: b80 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: d38 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: d34 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: bf8 -> priority: 1
    ============================================================================================================

Any suggestions? Thoughts? I am about to give up. 8 or more reinstalls that often took 2 to 4 hrs. each are enough for now.

12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Its a path error, you see that line SetError: Error while starting executable at path: C:/Users/QuObert/AppData/Local/Programs/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe

The \Shroud of the avatar.exe should be /Shroud of the avatar.exe

Not sure why its doing that for you and not the other people on same OS thought?

13. Echondas

@QuObert Please try uninstalling and reinstalling to the default folder the installer wants to use, which is likely similar to c:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar
    .. or if you don't want to use that directory, you could specify another such as c:\sota

I am hopeful this will fix your issues.

14. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

Installed to C:\SOTA. No freaking idea how any of it got changed to "/". Crazy. Not on drugs here, not drunk... and usually not even drinking when I do mess with this stuff.
    I'm in!!! THANKS!!! I did do something slightly different this time, besides changing the directory. I deleted the folder in "Roaming" that had chat logs (I think), saved games, etc. Uninstall from Control Panel does not remove that stuff and neither does any uninstall/repair/??? that is offered in other SOTA dialogs.

DavidDC likes this.
  15. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

And @DavidDC , that big THANKS also goes to you!!!!!

DavidDC likes this.
  16. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

No problem! ;)

17. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

@Echondas

The launcher is looking for "C:/SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar.exe"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Notice the wrong facing "/"!!!!! I will have to test this again, pretty sure I typed "C:\SOTA\".
    I get the SOTA error dialog for this of course AND also when I try to directly run the executable>> Shroud......Avatar.exe. It gives the windows error saying I don't have permissions to do that.

My user ID has admin priv and I also try running it as Admin with right click- run as admin... but I think/hope the wrong facing / (notice it was before the SOTA.exe last time?) is the clue to resolve this.

All I did after the install this morning was get buffs and then went mining in Elysium. I started using the PLAY button directly after the install and was running FINE. Then I did the ESC QUIT QUIT before going off to run errands. I put the PC to sleep while we were gone and the house was empty, so no gremlins.

I used windows to create a shortcut to the .exe and it created this shortcut as seen in Shortcut Properties "C:\SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar.exe". Just as it should be.

Sorry if I seem agitated but drinking obsidian potions of guidance, meticulous collection, etc. and then not being able to play for a number of days just adds to the frustration. In addition to the dozens of hours I've spent on this. I actually started shopping for a new video card and looked at new PC options just in case. This, however, does not seem to be a hardware problem to me.

=============================== NEXT INSTALL EFFORT AFTER CAREFULLY ENSURING I TYPE "C:\SOTA\" AS THE INSTALL DIRECTORY ======================================
    Shortcut says start in "C:\SOTA\" and the target .exe for the shortcut is "C:\SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.exe". So this verifies the previous install errors. Once again the SOTA error dialog says error trying to run .exe at "C:/SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar.exe". No idea why the installer is changing the \ to /.

Thanks in advance, for your help.

18. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

Also, I don't get all this with some paths have / and some having \. I always used one kind of slash for PC/Windows/PATHs and the opposite for internet/web addressing. My head is spinning with seeing BOTH kinds of slash in WIndows directory paths... in the installer log file anyway.

C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Platform assembly: C:\SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
    OldState: Hashing NewState: Seeding

Checking SotA-PID file: C:\SOTA\SotA.pid

Checking for SotAProcess at path=C:/SOTA\SotAProcess.txt (how is it getting this convoluted path???) and why just ME?

This is the patch client launched as: C:/SOTA/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data C:\SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.exe

Starting patch client update...

19. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

@DavidDC Thanks for seeing the / vs \ thing but the installer seems to do a lot of that on it's own. I made sure I typed C:\SOTA\ for the install and still the path looks different in some places. Like you said... "why me and not others?" This is crazy IMO.

20. Echondas

@QuObert Please see the post from @Elrond I merged into this bug report.. is this similar to what you're experiencing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.