Problems with Taming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OzzyOsbourne, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Tactics, to increase your physical damage witha bow or Polearms, a weapons spec for the same reason, life, to heal others acting as a support while your pet does DPS, or Bard to buff your pet and everyone else, honestly bard is already super strong, buffing pets makes it that much extra special

@Superbitsandbob

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Superbitsandbob likes this.
  2. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

I play my brother's toon most of the time. Bard Taming is definitely the way to go. Great in group and solo :D

Superbitsandbob likes this.
  3. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

I had a bash today and there seems to be a ton of bugs. The strength buff not applying extra hit points although maybe it isn't supposed to. Sometimes one of my buffs will stick to my pet but often it ticks for a couple of seconds and stops. I thought it might be a range thing but moving next to my pet did not make the buff reapply itself to my pet again even though the buff icon was on my own character. Using the mesmerise song and my pet then not attacking any of the mobs that are mesmerised and just standing there for around 20 seconds.

Because the damage is so low and it is hard to tell if the buffs are even having much impact I feel I would be much better served with just more DPS. I can see, if you like just playing songs over and over and waiting for them to go off, that it might be good in a group though. The mez is very good I will give it that.

OzzyOsbourne likes this.
  4. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

As said in a previous post, strength for mobs and pets isnt the same as for avatars. The only way to increase pet health is by increasing the pet's level. This can be done with 3 skills, the Specialization, the Summoning skill and the Combat Training passive. There is also a cap that can happen with the Summoning skill. I havent tested it very well and dont even know if it still applies. The way it seemed to work as my bro explained is that there is a max lvl that can be increased through spec and combat training and the summoning skill allows you to achieve it. So if your max lvl is below the summoning, it will stop giving lvl even though you raised your summoning skill. Its like the spec and combat training is the length of the ruler and the summoning skill determines where you pet is on that ruler, so if you exceed the ruler, it will not help, if you understand what I mean... this is definitely a confusing mechanic and isnt explained anywhere other than on some old obscure taming guide on the forums where a bunch of tamers did some testing. Not sure if this still applies.

For the bard buffs, some are static Area's of effect, not sure if that will change. We will see. But where you are when you finish the spell, for example, savage sonata, that is the location of the area of effect. This might change in a future release and fixed or is perhaps working as intended. Also all summoned and tamed creatures cannot break mesmerize effects, its up to you to drag the mob out and hit it to break it so your pet can attack.

If you want max DPS, taming is not the way to go :p
    Better to be Fire/sun, fire/life, fire/moon or if you arent a mage, tactics/air for archer or tactics/melee for any melee dps and use berserker stance. If you cannot, then air/ranged or earth/melee for 2nd best dps.

Certain builds also work well with taming, my main toon is a bludgeon build with tactics spec. When I break armor, pets do insane damage to my targets. Bludgeon works really well with taming.

5. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

That would be why then although considering the music is coming from me it would make much more sense for the buffs to follow me around. It's also crazy that I can't command my pet to attack a mezzed mob but there you go.

I only really play for the taming now so not interested without it but I haven't really tried a melee skill with taming yet so may do that.

Thanks for the feedback anyway! :)

FrostII and Violet Ronso like this.
  6. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Just found this out so I need to correct what I said; currently there is a cap of 126 summoning to limit pets. Combat training and tame spec is added after and is uncapped. There is no way of knowing this unless you do testing yourself. Players should be warned somehow of this limit. It could lead to a lot of confusion. Also when lvling Combat training, the tooltip is off because it seems to be rounded. It works at every 4 lvl even though at the 3rd lvl it goes up on the tooltip and 4th lvl after and consecutively. So at 107 it says +X but its actually at 108 that you get that bonus. Leveling summoning past 126 is useless,... for now.

StarLord and Witcheypoo like this.
  7. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

Well, it's been a year later and into Ep2 now and still no fix to the taming issues. The fuction, "stay here" works at best half of the time. Our tamed pets will stay for 1-2 minutes and then randomly start following you on their own without you changing the command. The attack target issue for me seems to be more ranged based. If they are close and direct LOS they seem to attack, however if their is not direct LOS and target is further away sometimes attack target doesn't work. I seem to have more issues with summoned elementals with the attack target then the tamed animals.

It's been a year since anyone has posted in this section so I'm bringing this back to life @Chris . I know you all have a lot on your plate and I know it's not been overlooked, rather just prioritized due to in-depth changes that would likely need to be done for these fixes to take place. I don't like to poke to much at the Devs because these guys are doing the job of 100 with way fewer :p As always I appreciate all your hard work you guys do and enjoy seeing all the new content as you release it!

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  8. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

Maybe the programmers should learn how to tam bugs before they are allowed to control any higher lvl MOBs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.