1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Dev Review] PLAY button issues / GfxDevice is in invalid state

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by QuObert, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I've marked this for Dev. Review since now Elrond is having an issue too..

2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I have spoken with the team and nothing changed in patcher/installer since years. So it's not on our side.. Might be Windows? There lot of problem with their updates recently and something could have broke.
    Beside that i have no idea why it would create the wrong path for you guys. Also not sure if thats what elrond is getting, might be something else.

3. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

Before I forget... has the installer ALWAYS created SOTA directories under LOCAL and ROAMING folders within the \username folder? I never noticed that before but there was a Windows 10 update quite recently.

Related to Elrond's post: I did do some smelting recently (maybe between installs 4 and 5 or whatever) and had no problems during that time. Didn't realize a crafting station would actually "look" for the game... maybe a hidden .exe then? The game was running for Elrond so why would it look for an executable at that point? Just a thought. My problem seems similar but different as well. He at least got the game to run.

I just reinstalled and again deleted the appdata roaming directory for SOTA.. didn't see anything in "Local" this time. Anyway I'm trying to eliminate anything and everything SOTA related that could possibly cause problems; before I do a fresh install. So I did and this time nothing ever happens after I press the Play button.. once, wait a few sec then press again, wait 20 sec and press. No error message, nothing.

For full disclosure... Yesterday and today I've been having internet issues with the wifi adapter... so I closed the SOTA install dialog (about 83% done this time) and after disabling the adapter, then enabling it... it finds the network and connects. I start the SOTA installer/launcher again and it takes a while to discover all of the files that already exist (it starts at 0%) and finally starts downloading the rest of them when it gets to 83%. I've had that happen before and it continued on with a successful install that actually ran so... should be ok.

I may need a new PC but also imagine that Elrond is not running on an XPS 8500 close to 5 yrs. old. Assuming he has the same problem.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  4. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

@DavidDC @Echondas Ok, I just directly ran the .exe as admin... and it WORKS again. So after all that PLAY button stuff in my post above, this time directly running the .exe works. More testing... will try smelting asap, then log to the desktop and see if it works a 2nd time. BRB...
    Logged in with two characters, no problems with smelting. BRB

Maybe because the download was interrupted... I noticed that ONLY the SOTA - Launcher.exe and the DOWNLOADS folder have modified date/time at 9:34 and 9:35 A.M. today (around the time of the previous intall that failed I think). The rest of the folder has all of the date/time modified after 12 PM as expected for this most recent install

So, a few minutes ago, I was able to open then exit to desktop then re-open the game using a right-click on the SOTA.exe, running as admin.

Of course I don't know what all is in the launcher.exe. I wish there was a utility to create that based on a "look" at the current installation of the game. Then it should be able to make a proper SOTA launcher.exe that will run when the PLAY button is pressed.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  5. Echondas

@QuObert Pretty stumped on this one ..

Crazy question - is the account you're logged into the PC with an administrator on the system or when you're running something as admin are you using a different account to elevate privileges?

6. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

Below is excerpt from "SOTA - Launcher_Data"\output_log.txt. Doubt this is much help but let me know if you want any files or whatever. I plan to run the .exe directly... maybe even after patches, in the future.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Platform assembly: C:\SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
    PatchClient Awake, version: 148 settingsfile: Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/patchsettings.txt gameVersionfile: C:/SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar_Data/gameversion.txt

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

This is the patch client launched as: C:/SOTA/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data C:\SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.exe

Starting patch client update...

Platform assembly: C:\SOTA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
    SystemInfo, graphicsDeviceName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745, graphicsMemorySize=3072, graphicsDeviceType=Direct3D9, operatingSystem=Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit, processorCount=8, processorType=Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, systemMemorySize=16335

7. QuObert

QuObert Avatar

@Echondas @DavidDC Ok guys, I've had enough for now. This is SOOOO f'd up. All I did was play an hour or two this morning, did the destroyers in the Spur... don't even think I bothered to set (yet again) any of the interface/controls/etc. options that get reset every time I have to reinstall. I used the ESC/QUIT/QUIT option to leave the game. PC went to sleep mode. Just came back and I cannot run the .exe at all. Getting the usual windows dialog saying I can't access the specified device, path or whatever. Don't have the necessary permissions. Maybe I've been hacked (even with a VPN and top rated protection), maybe the damn PC needs to go into retirement. In any case I am giving up for now. I don't have time for this.

Thanks for trying. New PC may take a while as I plan to try some other games. Maybe I'll try again when the next release comes out. \o

8. Echondas

Sorry to see you having so many issues .. maybe a fresh OS install is in order for you, since this seems specific to your PC - I was hoping Elrond's issue was related and there was a bug or something at play - but at this point, it seems very specific to your individual system and how its configured.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.