Artifacts new and old.. how do I combine and know which is which

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snowdog, May 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

I finally figured out how to work with the old Artifacts, now I am lost.. Is there a doc somewhere that will explain it to me?
    For instance:
    How can I tell what is an old Artifact (ie ring of fire) and a new Artifact so that I can combine them? Or does it not matter
    What do I need to combine the different levels, common, uncommon, rare..etc.. (it used to be coal, it is now essence. Can the old rings be combined anymore?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If you read the release notes (Avatar’s Update #423: Play Release 88 Now! New Quests! New Food & Fish Varieties! Fixes & More!) Has a link to the release notes:

All existing artifacts that have tiers (Common through Legendary only) already present in player inventories and storage, are now considered “Legacy” artifacts. Their tooltip descriptions indicate instructions on how these items can be utilized going forward.

Legacy artifact tooltip descriptions are as follows: “This is a legacy version of this artifact, but it can still be equipped as is. To use this artifact in upgrade recipes, it must be salvaged to receive a low durability variant of the newer artifact version. That low durability variant can be used in upgrade recipes, and it can also be salvaged for Ancient Essences.”

The reason there are new versions of the same artifact (as well as all crafted gear items), is because if 50 durability was added to gear items already present in the game which had previously received an old exceptional bonus would receive an EXTRA 50 durability. And since artifacts are used in recipes to upgrade, to allow the crafting system to recognize matching artifacts for upgrade recipes, first the old Legacy artifacts must be converted to the new versions so the recipes can recognize that matching artifacts were in fact provided to the crafting table.
    Old versions of Epic artifacts were not added to this Legacy salvage concept since they are not utilized in upgrade recipes. They will still salvage into essences as expected.

Artifact upgrade recipes now require Ancient Essences. Common to Uncommon requires 1. Uncommon to Rare requires 2. Rare to Legendary requires 4. Legendary to Epic requires 6.

FBohler, Time Lord, Echondas and 3 others like this.
  3. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

Do I still need the stone chisel and 100 coal? After some playing around I see that I do.
    '
    Why cant I salvage the artifact interments anymore? flute, harp..etc. or am I now doing it wrong?

yes I was doing it wrong .. ? it has to be salvaged at the correct station.. pretty tedious if you ask me

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    FBohler, Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  4. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Great news! Legacy artifacts are more easily identified on QA, so these changes should be coming to live soon. They are tagged with an "L" at the end of their name, such as "Ring of the Lich Kind, Rare (L)"

FBohler, Elgarion, Margaritte and 4 others like this.
  5. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

I got it to work once.. but now I can sell to get it right. I have relogged a few times
    Let me ask:
    I do this on the smelting station?
    4 common
    1 essence
    stone chisel​
    (no more coal?)

6. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

You still need 100 coal (exactly) in addition to the essences, and they must all be new versions of the artifacts. Another thing that gets me every now and then, make sure you have a tool equipped and that it has at least 1 durability left.

Mhtic700R and Anpu like this.
  7. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

I used to just drop the tool into the crafting window, is that not the way anymore?

Ok I could still just drop the tool into the window
    And Yes it was that one of them was leagacy
    Thanks for the help

8. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

There's the chisel and there's the crafting tool. You keep moving the chisel to the crafting window as always.

In order to combine your legacy artifacts you'll need to salvage them to become the new version. Be sure to salvage only the legacy artifacts, which show a message about being legacy in their description, because salvaging new ones will destroy them for essences. I recommend you to avoid salvaging legacy artifacts in batches, just do it one by one, it's safer this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.