Skills for crafting - Few ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well, there's the whole "alchemy transmuting things to gold."
    I'd love to see resource transmutation skills, that could be lossy but you know, recipe to turn so much copper into tin, or so much iron into nickel, using the base metals, some sort of catalyst/fuel and coming up with a reasonable exchange rate.

Wouldn't just have to be metals either, could be anything.

There's a whole herbalism component that could be explored, too - sure, we make potions that you drink, but why not oils for your weapons or infusion kits to add elemental effects to arrows for a set amount of time (or we make the kits, and carpenters use them + arrows to craft 'special arrows').

Lots of potential alchemyish stuff we could do.
    Transmutation (forward and back) of materials, say 10% lossy so you dont just go back and forth forever
    Example - Take 5 copper + (stuff) make 1 tin, or take 1 tin + (stuff) and make 5 copper, but the "stuff" cost is just expense.
    Transmutation as salvage
    Extracting gold/silver from mw/enchanted gear (and THEN you salvage it) - higher level extracts more
    Elemental Arrow Infusion Kits (component to make elemental arrows for carpenter)
    Weapon Oils (consumable, applied to weapon, lasts an hour, does whatever...)
    Something you could put on armor to give it dmg reflect or boost it somehow, etc

GLASSMAKING!
    We have gem fragments that make glass, but we also have a lot of desert scenes where we could harvest sand for basic glassmaking, and we have elemental sand that is fancy.
    Could make special vials for fancier potions, not to mention things like offhand focus items using gems/orbs/glass/"magic" (quartz focusing crystal offhands in every flavor!)
    Not to mention the deco options
    Could throw different varieties of gem cuts in here too, at the moment we have 'attune or resist' as the two options but there's no reason there couldn't be more...

Time Lord, Wilfred, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I'd suggested elsewhere to create magical poisons that can work against undead, or corrosive poisons that affect automata. Poison needs a bit of rework, it's mostly only useful when you're at lower levels, because higher level mobs tend to be immune more often than not. I don't need 2-6 dam/sec on a 300 hp mob, I need it on the 10k mob, that's probably immune.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah there's a lot of potential for sure.
    Not just poisons that do damage, but what about poisons that strip resist or reduce avoidance etc.?
    There'd be a use for mages too then :x

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Can mages use poisons? I mean, I suppose if they run up and smack enemies with their wands or something, but how many actually do that? (I actually don't know, maybe they all do?)

kaeshiva likes this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well, no, cause there's not much point - as you say, the amount of damage they do is minimal.
    But as an earth mage, if there was a potion that would strip 25 earth resist off a dragon that lasted a decent time...yes, I would go punch it with my wand and yes I'd invest in poison weapon skill. Some magic schools already have this, but if poison stacked with it, well its just a win-win for more consumable/material use as well as something new for alchemy.

Cora Cuz'avich likes this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Re: the crafting system in general. Remember, it is a prototype that got the stamp of "good enough." It never got the second look it needed. With prototypes you have to look at them, figure out what worked, cut, adjust, refine. Not just tack more things on, unless you accidentally hit a home run on the first try. Which you didn't.

Re: excess and recipes, I am really feeling like a recipe currency is the answer. Sell trash to the local magistrate and get a currency that will buy you recipes of that type (kobold, elf, perrenial, etc). Craft a bunch of food or weapons (for the militia of course) and get recipe points, use those to buy the recipes. The better the materials, the more points you get. No RNG, you craft, you work your way through the recipes until you've earned them all.

Recipes can stay in the loot drops then and they become a bonus rather than a necessity. So you buy that Elven Table from someone for gold instead of having to craft and sell to the elves in Veritas. No biggie, choice is good.

And you've removed the 100% reliance on recipe RNG, and some of the pain of the crafting RNG because you can get something worthwhile out of the "failures".

7. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Someday....PLEASE

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Or for the Kobold toilet? :p

9. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~All of the above are Time Lord Approved~
    [​IMG]
    ~Portalarium, notes should be taken of these for consideration~
    (A meaningless endorsement from a Portalarium stockholder)
    ~Time Lord~:cool:

Elrond likes this.
  11. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

Guys, this is where reprocessing need to be fixed. A birds eye view is needed for the developers to see and solve this waste we all see and they do not. If you make Epic Plate Armor with White Iron Sheet, White Iron Bindings and Carapacian Strap. If you salvage it you should get a chance to get some of your sheet, bindings or strap back. This will combat the waste we see now everyday in the game.

Give us a really good reason to push this salvaging skill to get some our resource back and not make it feel that I wasted 6 hours collecting these resources and attempt to make my armor and I wasted my time. This is the real issue we don't want to feel like our time is being wasted.

12. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

:(

Time Lord and AzazelReborn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.