1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Global Item Search

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Templarius, Feb 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

How crazy would it be if someone stacked their vendor with deals that severely undercut the market and then they hid the vendor in a locked home or basement?

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I still like my idea of a New Britannian Commodity Exchange which only lists commodities globally and prices but nothing else.

FBohler, Alley Oop and Tahru like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

That would be pretty dumb as everyone who went there would mark that vendor as NO RETURN and that would be the end of that.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Why only "commodities" , @Anpu ?

5. Cathy Earnshaw

Cathy Earnshaw Avatar

This is just my opinion but why do so many people not want vendor search? Are they afraid their items won’t sell anymore? Do they like that we have to spend hours trying to find one item?
    Besides that, I think it would help player vendors located in other boundaries of a town, instead of the ones in the central part of a town.
    By adding vendor search with prices, I think we would have a more balanced economy. I also think it would help new players also from getting ripped off like I did when I first started playing.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Click the link.

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Because that’s the basic foundation of the economy. And then all players can find the basic commodities easier (especially new players).

FBohler likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I believe this is the article Alleine is talking about: https://www.raphkoster.com/2012/03/20/do-auction-houses-suck/

Which, however is an article discussing why an Auction House is completely terrible, and they are. The conclusion:

SWG eventually did put in a serverwide auction house, responding to WoW. It made life easier for the buyers. But it created a perfect information economy, and all that complexity and variation that was present in the market earlier fell away. Small shopkeepers were shut out of markets.

If that happens to you in a game, you don’t find another line of work. You quit.

So do auction houses suck? No, not if your game is about getting. It is a better experience for a gamer interesting in getting.

But the fantasy of running a shop, or being a business tycoon, is not just about the getting. It is about the having — of relationships, of an empire, of a well-oiled machine. It is about running things, not about working your way up a chain of gewgaws. The gewgaws are a way to keep score, but you play the game for the sake of the game.

SWG was not a game about getting. After all, everything you could get in the game eventually broke. It was about the having. Having your shops, your town, your supply chain, your loyal customers, your collectible Krayt dragon skull or poster or miniature plush Bantha like in the Christmas Special.

When the merchant changes went in to SWG, the merchants went out.

Getting is kind of addictive. For a mass market audience, it may well be the path to greater acceptance and higher profits. Me, I like funky bookstores; but I have to admit I usually buy from Amazon. It’s convenient.

The lesson here is that sometimes features that make things better for one player make them dramatically worse for another. Every time you make a design choice you are closing as many doors as you open. In particular, you should always say to yourself, I’m adding this feature for player convenience. How many people live for the play that this inconvenience affords?

But it would however be worth discussing the one game (that even Ralph acknowledged) that is still currently the best example of a Player ran economy: Eve Online.

What systems do they use for selling items to players? Do they also not have a global search with prices (or not)?

Wilfred and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Let me try to explain this better.

Adding a search for ONLY commodities with prices I feel would not actually cause there entire game's economy to suddenly collapse. The items that would be listed there would be: the 2 different wood, all the ores, cotton, all grown agriculture items, possibly scrap and all reagents. This would add a basic "litmus test" in a way to see what DOES actually happen if you add a basic global search with prices. This would immediately make all these items all transparent for everyone to see and watch as well. Making just this basic information transparent I feel would actually be the best thing for the game. And then perhaps, we might then start seeing some things that may or may not be working correctly (or not). This also provides just the basic information for new players to go get stuff when they first start out.

The rest of the economy still continues on, with no effect from this. Want that Cloak with +20 STR and 5% attack speed? Well, get off your butt and keep looking.... Good luck with that. ;)

FBohler and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  10. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Anpu likes this.
  11. Alleine Dragonfyre

Totally and completely a different animal. I'm telling you guys, you're gonna kill this game.

12. Alleine Dragonfyre

That's a great idea. Maybe, then, people will understand what we're talking about. Y'all are gonna undercut each other until you make zero gold. Mark my words lmao

"The Best Weapon Ever Made in SOTA EVER"
    price: 1 g

Anpu likes this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah, that’s is more than likely what exactly will happen. And that’s why I just want a commodity only search with prices. To show all of you what will happen and all the people it will effect. But I’m also in favor sometimes to just try something.

I do feel basic commodities is something people shouldn’t have too much trouble finding.

FBohler and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Exactly. I think it would need at least 8-12 months to not only see the undercutting but also the pain in full effect. BUT, like you said, we could be wrong. Who knows. It's a great idea for a live test.

Anpu likes this.
  15. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I'll speak for myself, my main concern with global search with fully disclosed prices is that it would make SotA economy break just like Diablo 3's Auction House did.
    Prices will race to the bottom and only the highest top end will hold any value, leveling the rest of the items as junk.

Now regarding global search without prices, I'm all in for that!

Wilfred and Cathy Earnshaw like this.
  16. Cathy Earnshaw

Cathy Earnshaw Avatar

I’m ok with no prices at this point. I guess I’m thinking back when Ultima Online put vendor search in the game back in 2014 or 2015. It seems to be working for them, as the game is still going.
    Do they have their issues I’m sure they do, but when they first implemented it the feedback if I remember was positive.
    I guess it comes down to this for me...I personally am not going to run around anymore for hours looking for all the vendors in all the towns. When I log in I want to spend my game time playing not looking for that one item.
    We are not going to please everyone...so why don’t we meet in the middle and go with vendor search but with no prices?

17. Chemical

Chemical Avatar

Truth right here, currently finding items is like going to a massive shopping mall where all the stores have no signs, windows/doors are covered/blacked out and when you go inside everything is piled up on the floor that you have to go through. I know that people have been making signs and such but honestly it looks really tacky and looks like Los Vegas and causes more bloat.

I will guess a mass majority of players are not in high school any more and most of us have responsibilities. I certainly do not want to spend my free time searching 1000's of vendors for 1 damn recipe, the vendors in this game outnumber people it's ridiculous there is WAY to much bloat.

Having a system or a NPC in towns that can give you a list of items based on your search criteria would be a major big QOL. I will state this again for certain people, this NPC will ---------> NOT <---------- show prices so therefore there is no reason to state things like "people will undercut" and "it will ruin the market" etc. There is zero issues here and would only benefit both the buyer and seller.

As Cathy Earnshaw stated, I also refuse to go searching through vendors and I know a dozen more people that feel the same. UO is a good example (possibly worse) as I play on Private servers it's the same issue a mass amount of vendors and everything is piled in like 10 bags deep. I know we have the "igg-marketplace" however it only seems like there is a dozen of people that actively post their wares and vendor locations.

Cheers.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Micmatty, FBohler and Cathy Earnshaw like this.
  18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Totally agreed, it's such a waste of time!

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m personally still completely fine with either a town/regional/global search with no prices.

There’s still a few things I look for from time to time, but I still will not spend any of my time actually looking for it everywhere. That takes too long so forget it.

Wilfred and FBohler like this.
  20. CICI

CICI Avatar

Just add town item search with prices =) and vendor ui overhaul...

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Cathy Earnshaw, Wilfred and Chemical like this.