1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

New Player Selection Screen

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Anpu, May 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This is just a wishlist of a way you might get new players into playing our game, by giving them a few choices on how the Player wishes to start playing the game.

After the player has created their new character with the Mirror this selection screen would show up:

[​IMG]

This would offer 5 different selections. This will help guide the different types of players who come into the game and get them quickly off to how they would like to proceed.

The Path of Ignorance: This will get the type of player that doesn't care about story or anything and into the game quickly. They start with the default xp and gold a new character receives and is given 1 Task and Journal entry Speak to Arabella. The player can now fully run around and explore New Britannia and is given direction on where to go, story wise (speaking to Arabella).

The Path of Wisdom: This selection is for the people that do want to be fully immersed into the game. This would send the player back to the Original Isle of Storms scene where they suddenly appear in front of Arabella. Her dialoged would need to be adjusted (as the player is no longer a ghost and does not need to use the mirror). She will then direct the player to speak to the Oracle and then the Oracle will offer the player the 3 different choices of where to begin (the Path of Love/Truth/Courage).

The Path of Love/Truth/Courage: This option is for players that might just want a little bit of a tutorial help and then finishing that will send them off to an outskirts area.

Adding this I think would really help to guide the different kinds of players that want to just try the game. I really do miss the original starting of the game with meeting Arabella, but I 100% understand why that was changed (it is too long), but TOTALLY fine for people who like story and want to be immersed. And also this helps a LARGE amount of players that just "Want to play the game!!" and do not want to be forced into a tutorial and then outskirts scene. While they *should* have to at least get a bare minimum of information, sometimes people just want to go and figure stuff on their own. And that's fine. And they are at least given some basic information to go seek out Arabella (Who will send them off to one of the 3 tutorial scenes, or they can just enter them at any time).

Just an idea/suggestion. Also please feel free to see what you all think?

Thank you!

2. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

I love this idea. It quickly tells a new player that there is more than one way to approach the game, and they are all legitimate ways to play. It also gives them an active choice, which is better than the passive choice they make today (which leaves them wondering if they are doing the right things, or at least, that's how I felt).

It might be worthwhile also mentioning: "Your choice here simply effects how your adventure begins. Once you are in New Brittania, you will still have the freedom to choose your own path." Just something to let them know that this selection isn't really committing them to a particular type of gameplay for very long.

Rinaldi, Time Lord, Sonja and 4 others like this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Sounds like a good idea, I'd add something about the rewards for following the story and that you can switch paths at anytime.

Rinaldi, Time Lord, Sonja and 6 others like this.
  4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

very much yes!

Time Lord, Sonja, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

One complaint that people often have is that there is no voice-over and they have to read (oh the horror). I wonder what could be done to help alleviate this without incurring the cost of voice-over?

Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Just some thoughts, as this subject has spilled over here from this other less related thread. There's modifications needed and have been needed. I think the real need is to find a way to get better better game reviews while also assisting the new player in better navigating our initial sota gaming experiance which tends to be a very regimented experience instead of a playful or inviting one.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...your-offline-experiences.171566/#post-1342146
    ~TL~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.