Today on QA (R89)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coswald_Dirthmire, May 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I should be clear that a gem/jewel does not need to be socketed into the same type of item it came from. So while leggings can't be socketed, the jewel that drops from bandit leggings can be put into two rings and a necklace that are all worn in addition to a pair of bandit leggings at the same time. This will likely be the best scenario for a lot of these items, using the artifact in its normal slot and getting further stat by applying its gem or jewels in other slots. (Sorry, I hadn't seen your post yet when writing the one above, so being a bit redundant)

I'm not well versed in taming, so I don't know if adding the extra taming spec boost from the Jewel of Control is worth it over a reasonable level of taming ring, and naturally a tamer can't use any necklace other than their taming necklace. It could be that in some situations some of these substitutions make sense, and certainly the gems in weapons slots will be a boon to many tamers. I'm curious to see the discussion about these gems/jewels in particular.

We do, and it will be one or the other. Remember too that there are Imbued Attunement gems coming in the same release, that give 12 attunement per jewel or 25 attunement per gem (current jewels/gems only give 5 and 10 respectively), so many players will just be using those.

Sara Dreygon, Ysold, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  2. Coswald_Dirthmire

QA Build 1198 (Continued):

Alright, last one for the night. Made a quick overview of all the imbued jewels/gems that we've been able to make so far. Thank you to everyone who helped in getting these made! If anyone knows some that are missing and wants to share the stats it would be greatly appreciated, and tomorrow I'll get them all placed in a trunk so folks can look at them on QA in case any are revised in future patches (until QA is wiped). I have the jewel and one-handed gem socketing recipes, so if anyone has a piece they'd like made they can send the gem/jewel (or artifact) and I am happy to socket it and mail it back.

3. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I think every piece of gear should be socketable with the imbued gems. Lore wise it makes sense because there are artifact boots, gloves, leggings, etc. and we even salvage the gem from them now, so by definition they are socketable somehow. To make the power scale well, having chest and 2-handers stronger, just make these require 2 gems and the rest only one.

Also, do anyone know if devs are planning to make the gems tiered / combinable? I think it would add a huge depth to gear choice.

4. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I may be having a funeral for my beloved Cutlass of the Swashbuckler. I checked the base damage on QA and it is depressing as a dual wield blades spec as it represents a dramatic decrease in base damage. Here are the Live vs. QA numbers. ( sorry I don't have an epic but I don't think the damage goes up if I remember correctly )

Live 5/22/21
    • Legendary: 10-31
    • Rare: 10-30
    • Uncommon: 9-28
    • Common: 9-27
    QA 5/22/21
    • Legendary: 7-23
    • Rare: 7-22
    • Uncommon: 7-21
    • Common: 7-21
    For reference a full meteoric iron long sword's base damage is 8-25.

If the new Gem from these is a 7.5% base damage boost which as shown @Coswald_Dirthmire 's video above only moves a full meteoric longsword from 8-25 to 8-26 it won't be worth much alone to a blades user when much better options are available. Even if I put that gem on both blades and chest in which case I'd lose earth attunement it comes to 9.8-30.625 ( no sure if these numbers get rounded down in actuality or only on the displayed information) on a meteoric blade which is roughly equivalent to the current rare cutlass with the loss of 30 earth attunement. Now, the meteoric blade does have a 12% base weapon crit as opposed to a 6% on the cutlass so that gives a little hope but I'm also taking up 3 gem spots to which might be better served with other gems (attunement or cough rend cough) to try to get near to where I was in my rough estimation. Perhaps other blades experts more wise than I can add some some silver lining ( no not dual daggers :p )

Sara Dreygon, FrostII and FBohler like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Hmm. That seems a bit underwhelming, then.

For example, let's say a bandit chest gives 20% weapon damage, and the gem from salvaging a bandit chest gives 10% weapon damage. If I socket a bandit chest with a theurgy gem, I get 20% weapon damage and 10 air attunement. If I craft a chest and socket it with a bandit gem, I get 10% weapon damage and 0 air attunement. The

I can see some instances where the arti gems would be handy, like jewelry. I could gave that bandit chest with the theurgy gem, and a bandit ring and a necklace. But even then, is 3% weapon damage as useful as 5 (or 12) attunement? This system was often touted as a way to make crafted gear on par with artifacts, and I don't see that happening the way it seems like it's being implemented.

I'm not saying it's total garbage, just not anywhere near as useful as it originally sounded.

FBohler likes this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

One thing to note about this system is that it's supposed to bring things halfway between what crafted gear and artifacts were, so you won't reach the same power as you had before, but you will get much better results than you would have with crafted gear before. Also, these gems all offer multiple possibilities, some things might come out as being the best, but there are so many combinations possible between the gems and jewels, and crafted gear. Do not forget, crafter gear also gets component options, so this opens up a lot of things to test and try.

You have to remember component bonuses as well. A full set of Rare bandit gear gives somewhere around +20% weapon damage meanwhile a full set of hardened leather will give +27% or so. Then you can socket in 2 bandit gems in your bow, for an extra 15%, and put an imbued Theurgy gem in your chest, netting you +25 air attunement. So with crafted gear, you will reach +40% weapon damage, and +25 air attunement, compared to +35% weapon damage from a rare (full) set of bandit gear + 2 bandit gems in your bow, and +10 air attunement in your chest because you can't socket imbued gems in your artifacts. The outcome seems far superior with the crafted gear in my opinion.

Now what seems to happen is that Epic remains usually a better option in the end, when you are chasing a specific stat, (ex Epic bandit gear will give +30% weapon damage from the full set + 15% from the gemmed bow), but those become very costly options, and only good in some cases.

I think this new system will be very fun to play with.

Past Blue Ribbon, FBohler and Anpu like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, let's assume then that the effect I want is not something easily gained through material bonuses. I often wear a frog ring with a theurgy jewel in it, mainly for the dodge. If I wanted to "make" my own frog ring by crafting a ring and adding a frog jewel, I'd be giving up the attunement in exchange for a weaker dodge/jump. And while I could maybe make that up by using multiple such items or socketing other gear with frog gems, I 'd then be giving up other slots to make up for the deficiency of the ring, which would be better made up by just using an actual frog ring instead.

I never expected this system would give us super powerful gear or anything, but that it would at least become a reasonably close choice. For example, in the above frog ring scenario, I'd have a choice between a frog ring with +2 Jump/+4 Dodge/+5 Attunement*, and a crafted bronze ring +1 Jump/+3 Dodge/+5 Attunement/+2 Dex.

I'm not arguing against the system; I just think doing gem slots as either/or, instead of getting an attunment slot and an arti slot dramatically lessens it's usefulness. It seems (based on current information) like there will be some edge cases where it's clearly the route to go, but mostly artis will still be the better choice, especially when dealing with gear that can't be socketed. Additionally, arti slots could be added to most (or all gear) while still limiting attunement to just a few items. In which case we could basically make crafted bandit gear that was a little weaker, but more durable, without sacrificing the attunement. Or I could use that frog gem to give a little extra dodge to all my stuff. Or whatever.

Now, if Elgarion next adds new enchantments to Enchanting, so that socketing the bandit gem to a crafted chest before enchanting unlocks a unique set of possible enchantment results, that changes everything.

*I know frog ring stats are changing; but I don't know what the new numbers are offhand. The actual numbers don't matter to illustrate the idea.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Vaiden Luro, Elgarion, Ysold and 2 others like this.
  8. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

A quick comment since I didn't notice it above- for anyone testing these gems on QA do not salvage any legacy epic artifacts yet. They were missed and currently only salvage into essences. Presumably by the release they will give their appropriate gems on salvage.

Also @Elgarion if you see this on monday and have the time could you maybe put a chest in fishing expedition with some of the new socketing recipes? It has taken me at least an hour of killing elves in the Panopticon per recipe to get each of the ones I have, which I think is a great drop rate for live, but for people who have less time to spend on QA, or who can't do that area themselves yet it would be helpful to have easy access to the recipes for testing. Thanks!

FBohler, Sara Dreygon, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  9. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

No luck to get any socket recipes after farming an hour of Panopticon in QA.

Just salvaged some artifacts and it has a random chance to get a gem.

10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Rare or higher has a 100% to get a Gem or Jewel.

11. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

I tried to salvage Wand of Undying Ember (Epic) but no gem. Not sure if it has one or not.

And it looks like ring of sun/fire/life/earth give different skill tier bonus on the corresponding magic school.

Sun for blindness, life for healer, fire for flame fist, earth for stone fist, etc...

For magic skill bonus gem, I think everyone will still choose the imbued attunement gem in next release. Magic skill damage from one attunement effect is stronger than that from 1 INT and magic attunement affect all skills under the same school. Not sure if future enchantment effects from imbued skill gems are competitive with the one from imbued attunement.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    FBohler and FrostII like this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Was it a Legacy one? If so, can you please bug that? Haven't seen the bug report yet, but I know Epic (L) don't give gems!

Yup, but I can see some cases where maybe some might want to go for Imbued Attunement gems, but their spell specific Jewel, will be curious to see what people end up going for!

Chiasma likes this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

So any Epic level of artifact will always be better than the crafted gear with socketed gems. Right?

FBohler and FrostII like this.
  14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For the specific climbing stat, seems so.

As mentioned though, many possibilities have opened up, allowing you to use bonuses on different armor types or weapon types (ex casting speed on weapons instead of wicked king)

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Seems that way. It sounds as though this will be good if you really want to get a lot of a specific buff that comes from an artifact, at the expense of a lot of attunement. And since it's also accompanied by a reduction in power for most artifacts, there will be a fair number of items where this results in a net nerf. But overall, I think this system won't really change a whole lot, unless, as I said, you figure out an edge case where socketing everything with a specific gem is clearly superior to the attunement you're passing on.

FBohler likes this.
  16. Coswald_Dirthmire

QA Build 1198 (Continued):

Gem of Rending (+20% Rend Damage) affects Healing Modifier as well.
    This is a rather nice bonus on top of an already powerful gem. It's to be expected, as rend masterwork also improves this stat.

Examining a player doesn't reveal Gems/Jewels socketed into their gear. This is as expected, since current attunement sockets don't show either.

A bug disallows zooming in/out on the map (m).
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...does-not-zoom-in-out-with-mouse-wheel.168563/

New Chaos Jewels and Gems are in and the base gem/jewel recipes are available from POT Magic Merchants. The Imbued Jewel recipe drops from supply bundles and the Imbued Gem recipe will drop from the mobs mentioned in a previous post. This means new enchants for the chaos jewels/gems, though interestingly there's no attunement enchants on the wand. Not sure if this is an oversight or not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jewel Enchant:
    [​IMG]

Weapon/Wand Enchants:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chest Enchants:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Coswald_Dirthmire

Build 1198 (Continued):

The Capt'n Tricorn Hat yields an Imbued Jewel of the Giant Pirate that gives +5% player scale.
    It's really fun stat, and lines up with an effect of the piece, but I am guessing most folks were hoping for something a little more compelling off of such a difficult and expensive artifact.

Acara's Shield drops and Imbued Gem of Electrifying Stun which grands +20% Air Stun Effectiveness. Not the easiest artifacts to get, but a lot easier than the other Acara pieces and a seemingly generous bonus! Of course, it does come at the cost of much attunement.

18. Duke Gréagóir

Where does one find the jewel/gem combining recipes? I tried the regular one on QA (Gem Socket item) and it did not work. What am I missing?

19. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

The four new imbued gem socket item recipes drop from elves in the Obsidian Panopticon. Specifically the Watch Commander.

20. Duke Gréagóir

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.