Lost lot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ordovicia, May 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

I had an issue for a couple months where the patcher said my computer hard drive was full and the game could not patch. My hard drive was not full and I have been very busy with other things in my life.
    Then the other day I tried patching again and the same error message occurred but this time I hit "ignore" (an odd option to have) and it actually updated and I was able to play again yay!
    When I logged in though my house was gone and my tax free village lot deed was in my bank and alone with everything in the house.
    To make a long story short, does anyone know why I would have lost my lot when my deed was "tax free"?
    I liked my location in Zenos and the thought of having to set up a new house and move everything back in and decorate seems totally overwhelming at this point...

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

You still need to login periodically to refresh your lot, even though there are no taxes, how long had it been?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

It depends on the pledge tier of the account the deed belongs to.

Player Guide / Housing / Lot Expiration

Wilfred likes this.
  4. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

Thanks for the replies. Wow I didn't know there was a time frame on logins by pledge. I don't remember that being the case and I wasn't not logging in because I didn't want to, it was simply that my game wasn't patching and I didn't see any info about it when I searched. I guess before I knew it a few months had gone by.

Anyway, thanks again for replying to my post but the thought of redoing everything is beyond what I can handle lol.

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You should have gotten an email letting you know your lot was about to expire as well.

6. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

I never received and email telling me my lot would be removed!

Last email I received (just searched my email) was for the Mistrendur Land Rush Guidance and that is the only email from portlarium this year.

I will chalk this up to my fault I guess, but seems like a poor way to hang on to old customers since if the customer is on the fence about playing and you toss there house out I can assure you most definitely will just say okay I am done. I mean it isn't like this game's player population is so robust they need to clear out people not playing enough...

arcdevil and Anpu like this.
  7. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

I am sorry you were unable to play the game for so long and I do hope you choose to come back despite the hassle of redecorating. I also believe that it is important that players can lose their lots after some reasonable amount of time as they do now because even as it is there are A LOT of desirable lots in NPC towns that sit empty and undecorated with people logging in only often enough to keep the lot claimed. What many of us believe a great compromise would be and have asked the devs to do, is for any lot that expires to have the house, basement and dungeon put into magic mover (property manager) slots. That way if and when the player comes back they just need to reclaim the lot (or a different one if it has been taken) and drag the property manager house to their new lot and their hard decorating work is restored.

8. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

I agree Gwen, there certainly does need to be a way of giving back to the community claimed lots that go unused. I am not sure how I missed that lots would expire based on your pledge, I just made the false assumption that "tax free" was more than it was. I logged in a lot until the last year when this update error and other real life matters kept me out.

It's funny, I was excited when the patch actually worked this time, then got into the game to find everything gone and an empty claimed spot where my beautiful house was. Life can be a trip hah!

Coswald_Dirthmire likes this.
  9. Lained

Lained Avatar

It's worked this way since inception. I agree it's painful to have to redecorate as I've had to do it myself, they really should utilise the property manager as has been requested numerous times.

Wilfred likes this.
  10. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Ordovicia i observed this recently on my laptop when i was running low on disk space. The game (if using the launcher and not Steam) needs a certain amount of temporary free space available to patch and such. Once i freed up about 20GB or so more, i was able to install and patch the non-Steam version

StarLord likes this.
  11. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

Wow, never imagined I would need 20 gigs free just to patch...what does it do, copy the entire game to a new location on disk for backup!?

arcdevil likes this.
  12. Echondas

Not sure on the exact amount it needs or how the installer or patcher works - i just was getting the low disk space error in the installer/patcher and i freed up another (approx) 20GB or so and then it ran OK.

i just checked the minimum requirements document and it mentions needing 22GB of disk space for Windows - but the fully installed game takes less than that .. so i’m thinking maybe that’s referring to free space needed in addition to the game files itself? I forget how much i needed available for the game to install but maybe if i’m bored later i’ll test it in a VM and keep increasing the disk space until i find the magic number.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/...FCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub#h.dau0dcx79nw

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  13. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

Thanks for the info Echondas.

14. Echondas

@Ordovicia No problem. I just did some testing and Launcher version of the game needs 39 GB (Windows) free space to install from scratch.. otherwise you will get a notice from the installer. I'm going to bug report that the User Guide needs to be updated to reflect that.

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Check the directory the game is installed in and click the Downloads directory in there. You possibly have a lot of very old patch files in there that aren’t needed .

16. Echondas

That might help Ordovicia - good call.

17. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

If your HDD has <20Gb free you've probably got more issues than unable to patch sota ;)

Anpu likes this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Decorating and redecorating can be so much fun! :D
    Great that you're able to play again and welcome back!

:oops: Sorry to hear about the house...
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~

19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

also note, you don't have to log in to refresh your lot. anyone doing anything that forces the data on your lot to update will reset the timer, so if you have a friend who has permissions to move even one item on your lot, you can say to them, "hey, i can't log in, can you go move my chair an inch to the left?"

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  20. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    Sorry Ordovicia to hear about RL problems as well as game based issues. If there is anything I can help with please message me. I am not a great decorator but I have lots of extra deco if you need some new stuff for new ideas. In game and forum name is Warrior B'Patrick.

As for the updater it actually is fun, yes I am a computer nerd, to watch the progress as it does the patch or new install. Each patch will download a large compressed file that is the complete patch (some times gigs worth). The it decompresses the file into a temp folder and then starts replacing old files with the new ones or adding files that were not part of the game before. Usually this process moves the old files to another folder instead of deleting or overwriting them in case something goes wrong and it has to put everything back like it was before exiting. If all goes well then the patcher will delete the old files and the compressed patch files no longer needed to free up space. Needless to say that it needs lots of space and if your drive is almost full your drive will be fragmented so this will make it run slower also. I always recommend users keep at least one third of their drive free at all times. Internal drive are fairly cheap and a larger or maybe a larger SSD (for the speed boost) would be a big help for game play.

Edit: to clarify the benefit of SSD drives.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.