A switch to Unreal Engine.

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Lathiari, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

A good example of this are mannequins. They implemented it but the mannequins poke through most items you put on them. Many bug reports have been made but they never get fixed. They're supposed to be like avatars (and, according to the devs, just as computationally expensive) but, ultimately, they aren't.

2. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

seems like they were stock assets that got grabbed and dropped in.

arcdevil likes this.
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

keep in mind that technology projects rarely ever stay within (time) budget ;-)

Time Lord, Prada and Violet Ronso like this.
  4. Saevio Vehemens

Saevio Vehemens Avatar

Is this a shifted priority now that Chris is not working on it? One and Only is working on it, I have no idea what that means.

5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Thing is, upgrading from Unity 2018 to 2019 (and up), you lose the built-in networking libraries (UNET). Yes, you can re-import them separately, but Unet is deprecated..won't be improved. That means any problems with Unet are going to continue to exist in the game. They would have to migrate their networking code over to something like Mirror, or wait for Unity to come out with their own new networking library.

Gia2 likes this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

This thread is Unreal! haha hoho hehe get it. :D

7. Saevio Vehemens

Saevio Vehemens Avatar

8. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

A year ago I decided to develope my own game.
    I started to learn Unity, but after a few weeks I realized, that Unity isnt the right Engine for my project.
    So, I started to learn Unreal 4. Now, after one year of learning the ropes, done some small test projects, I can say, Unreal is really great and easy going.
    But I cant see a switch for SotA to Unreal. It would be easier to make a new game.
    As I write this, I am downloading Unreal 5 Early Access and I am pretty sure that this is the future of game developement, especially for small teams.
    I will try to login SotA from time to time, my PoTs are still standing, but at the moment, developing my own game is more exciting than playing.

Welcome to Unreal Engine 5 Early Access
    Metahumans in UE

9. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Big News:
    Amazon just open sourced their Lumberyard game engine as the Open 3D Engine (O3DE).

Linux Foundation Launches Open 3D Foundation, Amazon Lumberyard Spun As Open 3D Engine
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=open-3d-engine

Linux Foundation to Form New Open 3D Foundation
    https://www.techpowerup.com/284266/linux-foundation-to-form-new-open-3d-foundation

O3D Foundation (O3DF)
    https://o3d.foundation
    Open 3D Engine (O3DE)
    https://o3de.org

O3DE GitHub
    https://github.com/o3de/o3de

----------

Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  10. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Indeed, big news. That will probably have an impact in game development, but i cant see any impact for SotA.

11. Katu

Katu Avatar

They have troubles with upgrading newer unity and it has taken ages to do it. There will never be anykind of unreal conversion. It costs way too much money and time.

12. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

O3DE is modular, so it might be possible for SotA to use parts of it.
    But O3DE is currently just a developer preview, so probably not something SotA would want to use yet.

More details on O3DE:

Announcing Open 3D Engine (O3DE)

Built for Builders: The Story of AWS and Open 3D Engine – Developer Preview
    https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/gametech/open-3d-engine
    Amazon shifts Lumberyard to open source 3D game engine supported by 20 companies
    https://venturebeat.com/2021/07/06/...3d-game-engine-with-support-from-20-companies

----------

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Mixing Unity with O3DE?
    Even if that would be possible, I dont think that would be a good idea.
    Too much dependencies. This is already a problem that will only get bigger and bigger.

14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I think once they get into a more current unity we will see a lot more improvements across the board. DLSS in newer unity 2021.2x alone gives 30+fps more on average when used. There are many improvements just a matter of getting there :)

Lord Stein and macnlos like this.
  15. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

That is called "Betting on the If-Come" and it is dangerous. If someone is in this position it is because they are behind the ball. By the time they can make the jump up they will find the ball has moved on and they are in same situation. And it repeats over and over until time catches up and they can no longer make the jump at all. How do I know this? This is what I do for living and I have to manage these types of systems/technologies all day long for a much much much larger organization that is global.

craftymethod likes this.
  16. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

not sure what you mean by that, the latest version with DLSS across the board has shown huge gains on all projects in unity so its a "safe educated bet". mind you as you said that ball is always moving the point is current build is already faster and more optimized. SOTA though each upgrade has headaches with things that have to change to support the new features. I am not looking at it from a perspective of bringing more customers but rather the current base customers would have a much better experience.

17. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Barugon and Time Lord like this.
  18. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

i look at it as a 50/50 split on current and new players.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  19. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Epic Games is joining the Open 3D Foundation.
    Hopefully this increasing openness and push for "metaverse" will benefit all MMOs including SotA.

The Open 3D Foundation Welcomes Epic Games as a Premier Member to Unleash the Creativity of Artists Everywhere
    July 20, 2022
    https://www.o3de.org/blog/posts/epic-joins-o3df/

Some interesting quotes from the announcement:
    ----------

20. merlinfire

merlinfire Avatar

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to weigh-in as a professional developer

A change in engines is a huge, non-trivial change that is unlikely to produce juice worth the squeeze in almost ANY project that is more than a few months into development, much less a project with SoTA's size and lifespan.

If I were owner/lead on this project, the ONLY way I would seriously consider something like this is if there was a significant tranche of additional funding coming from some source that required as a condition of the funding, this engine chance. And even then, it would need to be significant additional funding. Anything less than $250k and I would literally laugh at the suggestion. But it could easily cost more than double that.

The landscape of gaming history is littered with projects that got stuck in development hell, constantly changing engines until they ran completely out of cash. I think that's good money chasing bad money.

Cordelayne, Elwyn, FBohler and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.