Artifact Wishlist - Buff Ideas for Artifact Gear

Discussion in 'Queued for Review/Processing' started by Elgarion, May 25, 2021.

1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Please post your ideas in a response to this thread. Linked below is a spreadsheet showing existing tiered artifacts and their provided stats.
    Please keep your through sharing and comments kind, constructive, considerate, and concise. Thank you Avatars! :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    FrostII and Anpu like this.
  2. Elgarion

(reserved)

3. Elgarion

(reserved)

4. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

Overall I'm very impressed by the work on the new crafting gems and jewels. I have some constructive criticism but I want to emphasize that this is a major step forward imho.

Lack of new slots for the artifact gems and jewels is disappointing. More overwriting of old functionality instead of expanding it. Speaking of which...

Tier 3 components (savage handle, ashen heartwood, etc.) are still overwriting their tier 2 component counterparts (hard maple handle, rock maple heartwood, etc). This makes tier 2 components less useful.

0.1 draw speed for quiver of jealousy regardless of rarity level is a major blow to those of us who spent hours and hours farming these. That was the primary stat on this rare and hard to get item. Draw speed is also the obvious stat for the gem from this item. I don't see any other gems that give draw speed.

Belt of the Dedicated jewel gives agro boost? Me thinks that would go better with the troll belt.

0.15 cast time modifier from imbued gem of the wicked caster stands out as OP. A value of 0.1 would probably be more reasonable.

5. Elgarion

Awesome, thank you good sir -- keep the ideas/comments flowing :)

Eventually we'll add another socketing slot, but this first step was to set apart crafted gear from artifacts by first providing crafted items unique gems/jewels to use. Notice when non-socketable artifact items break down, they make jewels (such as belts, so if we add more, it'll be more jewel slots. I'm probably thinking belt or helmet first, not entirely sure yet. That's down the road since we still have to fill in a lot of wholes in the available gems/jewels to account for all skill trees. So there's still plenty of room for power creep without need for a new socket slot (so far).

Can you provide more details, step by step? Sounds like a bug?

Draw speed has been a concern, and Chris applied some soft caps to it recently. Nerfing the artifact was part of this endeavor. I wasn't thinking adding to the problem right now was a good idea by creating a gem/jewel for this bonus. Perhaps when the dust settles, another artifact can provide a draw speed gem or jewel. For now, I'll be avoiding it. A lot of artifacts got some nerfing, so even though it's super unfortunate we needed to go this route as we progressed through balance endeavors, we felt it necessary. Perhaps if the blinding shot jewel isn't that desirable, that might imply the skill itself isn't all that great. Perhaps some improvement is needed at that end.

Crafted arties will be returning portions of their crafting materials in R91. So here you'd have chances to get back some belt buckles and skin to help you create another if your current belt buckle is depleted and you're not wanting to do major repairs.

Chris reviewed. With soft caps he put in place, shouldn't be an issue, but we'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks Mimner! I'm sure some numbers will need some tweaking. Keep the feedback flowing :)

6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

No, what he means is that Tier 3 components are usually much stronger than T2 components, reducing the use of T2 components for those slots, like How Sylvan horns are usually the Best material for both daggers and spears, meaning once yiou can supply yourself with them, there is no need for bronze, constantan, meteoric or white iron tips and blades, because the horns flat out beat all 4, there's not even niche uses, its only "can you afford them or not"

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Now I need to merge this spreadsheet with the gems one so I can compare/contrast...

Elgarion likes this.
  8. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

@Elgarion

Sara Dreygon and Elgarion like this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I mean, isn't that kind of how it's supposed to be? Using that logic, why not also make T1 components as strong as T2? At endgame levels, sure, nobody's going to bother with T1 or T2 components unless there is no T3 version of that component, but I think there does need to be a progression for newer players to go through, even if they can now get to endgame status pretty quickly.

Elgarion likes this.
  10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

By this, do you mean adding a socket to a gear type that currently isn't socketable, or adding artifact slots on top of attunement slots? (I think I know what you meant, just looking for confirmation.)

Elgarion and FBohler like this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Couple ideas

* Quick mounting speed (skips animation when mounting)
    * High jump (can have falling damage)

Elgarion likes this.
  12. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

Would love to be able to take the Decay Speed decrease from the Ancient Staff of Death as a socketable.

Elgarion likes this.
  13. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Am I reading this correct, the Shard of Night is gonna have its sun attunement penalty removed? This is huge!!!

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I was happy to see a number of artifacts lose their penalties alongside their reduction in power. To me, plus/minus items always come off as a cheap mechanic that is rarely employed well.

15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Meanwhile, you gave more Draw speed to the shield of the wicked king :eek:

I think you should remove some from the shield and giving that 0.1 back to the quiver, Might make people a bit more happy about their quiver, and the Shield doesn't need 0.5 Draw speed at all, that's way too fast!

And honestly, I think the biggest stat issue was the cast speed, not the draw speed. Draw speed has some drawbacks, making you discard faster, thus losing your stacks, taking damage when using the shield or Chaotic Feedback, but the cast time modifier has 0 penalty, its only good stuff (and was the reason why some were casting earthquake INSTANTLY, Drawspeed wont do that).

Elgarion likes this.
  16. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I don't believe this release has added any power creep, quite the opposite, the power creep has been largely reduced as the meta has been hammered down (Bandit Armor and Crossbow of Accuracy, for example).
    In my vision there's room for socketing all gear slots without exception, only concern is scaling effects for each slot like for example: gloves/boots get 50% of the gems effect, belt and helm get 65% and leggings 75%. This way people would think twice before socketing the most expensive gem into lesser pieces of gear.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  17. Elgarion

Ah gotcha. I'll be looking at all materials to give them some love or uniqueness for use. Sometimes it might mean they just share the same value primary stat, while a T3 has that stat as well as another secondary stat to boost its importance. So if a person is happy with the primary stat provided, the T2 will still have use. Kind of the general idea, but in any case I'll try to preserve the basic purpose for each one unless there are some that are completely useless (which I'm sure there are). These T1 through T3 component love (can't imagine any nerfs going in here), will occur soon, just no ETA until I feel I'm organized with some more data and spreadsheets.

Ya... I wasn't wanting to make a crafted artifact somehow produce a gem that wasn't there to begin with from crafting. Those were going to break down into SOME of their pieces so if you needed to work on a new one after you ruined your current one, you'd not be starting from scratch. OR, perhaps you have some old ones that were just bad crafting sessions and wish to start from scratch. Maybe a quest where you can turn them in for a gem... Dunno. That would be a good gem to extract from it for sure.

Ah ya, they're both on our radar, but with the caps, neither are too worrisome unless they didn't go as planned. Instead of .2 to .4 (based on what was visible in the tooltip, was probably some rounding in those numbers, I can't remember the raw data numbers) it's gone from .1 to .5 just to even out scaling.

They'd be jewels, not gems, but yes -- we'd definitely like to add more slot types. FIRST I'll be filling in holes with the current gems/jewels to make sure each skill tree gets love from gems/jewels.

18. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

Once again I'd like to start this bit of constructive criticism off by saying that the new changes, as a whole, constitute a major improvement to the game.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...es-attunement-the-how-to.156711/#post-1246800

I am concerned about the way the old slots have been repurposed to fit not only attunement gems/jewels, but now artifact gems/jewels and how this adversely impacts magic users. In a previous post, linked above, I used Chris' spreadsheet on attunement to plot the relationship between effective attunement and the actual damage modifier one get's from their attunement. This plot shows that the relationship is highly linear, even up to values of effective attunement at 300. Remember that effective attunement is what's left AFTER taking into account the target mob's own attunement and resist. The only option for a magic user who wants to be effective is to stack as much attunement on their primary magic tree as possible, especially if one wants to try to 'punch through' a resistive mob's defenses.

This brings me to my concern: the fact that artifact gems/jewels share the same slots as their attunement counterparts makes it so any mage really has no choice in the system, they have to stack their attunement. This makes it so that pure mages can't really consider any of the new abilities from artifacts, where as for physical damage users giving up some attunement is no big deal.

There is also another related issue that has long plagued the game: making two schools of magic viable simultaneously is impossible because one can only stack a single attunement type on their gear. To gain some attunement in a second school requires diminishing your attunement in your primary school, which makes your magic incredibly ineffective b/c of the way resists work.

A potential solution that would address both of these issues is as follows: Every piece of craftable gear that is able to be socketed will now have two slots. One of the slots will only accept an attunement gem/jewel, imbued or otherwise. Special enchantments for attunement will be tied to this slot. The second slot will work as the slots now currently work, able to accept both attunement or artifact gems/jewels. However, one will not be able to socket both slots with attunement gems of the same type.

This will allow pure mages to stack two different attunements if they like, while also allow those who wish to specialize in a single tree to use some of the new artifact gems/jewels in their build. It will also allow physical damage users to gain access to special enchants from particular attunements without having to sacrifice any crucial artifact gems/jewels.

Regardless of whether the team finds this solution workable or not, I hope you all are aware of these issues and come up with some means of addressing them.

19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

100% this! Amazing idea!

Sara Dreygon and Elgarion like this.
  20. Aleksander

Aleksander Avatar

Soooo... you think it would be possible to get back the socketed gems / jewels when salvaging socketed gear and weapons? Some of the gems / jewels are super rare and extremely expensive and if they can't be retrieved it will create some sort of lock-in to the current gear.... :)

Wilfred, Sara Dreygon and Elgarion like this.