1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Another New Way To Stimulate Crafting / Economy?

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Cairo Hayden, May 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

I'm hoping I don't get bad feedback since I'm taking an idea from Ultima Online for this.

I'm always trying to think of new ways we can stimulate gathering / crafting for the game. @Chris, @Elgarion, the entire Dev team has already come up with amazing ideas to stimulate the crafting side as of late but I suppose it never hurts to throw another idea out for a future release.

Bulk Order deeds were a thing in UO. We could go to the tailor or blacksmith trainer and get a deed every so many hours depending on our level in that skill. The higher level in that skill it had a chance of giving a harder / rarer deed that could potentially give a much rarer reward.

Could be for tailors, carpenters, blacksmiths, fishing, really any trade skill. Could have a request to catch 20 of a certain type fish, or build 20 of a certain piece of furniture, and perhaps on the rarer deeds could request several different type of fish, several different pieces of furniture as a set, same goes for armors or weapons.

Rewards could be anything! Some new items could specifically be created where you can only get through Bulk Order deeds so it's exclusive and would also encourage people to gather / purchase materials / craft even more. Some of the rewards could be some special rare colored dyes again exclusive from bulk order deeds to perhaps special furniture / decoration for your home, or anything cosmetic for that matter. Ideas could be endless but of course the much rarer items would be totally RNG / luck!

Anyways, I'm not sure if that's even the direction Catnip wants to go or not but just tossing out the idea.

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the suggestion!

There's a few stumbling blocks that we'd run into if we wanted to make those quests as described. If it wasn't a normal quest, we'd need new tech to make these deeds happen. Assuming our version of a deed-based system would be a quest with players asked to bring specific items to an NPC, we'd have to keep in mind that all quests are manually written by me and that kind of thing takes time. We have so many craftable items in the game, we'd only be able to pick a handful as quest turn-ins. And sometimes items/IDs change, which means occasional upkeep.

The best kind of crafting quest would be one that doesn't need new tech and requires near-zero maintenance time. I'll try to give some thought to this kind of thing, but to be honest unless I have an epiphany it probably won't be high priority. Regardless, I'm adding it to my to-do list as issue #69163

3. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Elgarion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.