1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

Conversationalist glitches into walls

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns & Player Housing' started by Widsith [MGT], Jun 3, 2021.

1. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Alley Oop I'm seeing the same issue with disappearing conversationalists, occasionally at some places, and always at others. I've been moving one of them around to try to figure it out. It might have something to do with the complexity of the scene/room in which they are placed. I put one into several sparsely deco'ed dungeon rooms and he appears, blinks out, and then reappears shortly or a few seconds later and is functional. In a few such cases he appeared, but the 'right click' configuration menu will not appear, though his normal 'E' interaction works.

Put him into a heavily deco'ed room and he never appears, though he's listed as visible in the deco palette and can be retrieved from it. Some sort of resource loading/timing issue?

I will continue to experiment, will try different conversationalists next. The one I used was 'store bought', I also have several crafted ones to try.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Widsith [MGT], unless i'm sure these have the same root cause, i'd rather keep them seperate. please give the /bug data for the area where you're seeing the issue (and the /loc for the entrance if it's a dungeon/basement).

3. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Alley Oop A bunch more experiments in various locations, and I have this better characterized:

The title is wrong, the conversationalist is actually instantiated in the scene, just not where it was placed, or where it claims in the Deco Palette listing. More details:

- Type of converstionalist doesn't appear to matter- I've tried crafted, reward and store bought of various types, all behave the same

- Appears to happen only in a dungeon. (I thought I had a case on a surface lot, but can't make it repeat. Maybe a loading glitch.)

- Bug is triggered by placing conversationalist in a busy, highly deco'ed dungeon room. I haven't yet managed to come up with a particular object, set of objects, or placement that triggers it, though.

- The normal visual pattern of placing the c'alist is: Short appearance, blinks out for a moment, shows up again, blinks out for a long pause, reappears to stay. The pattern if the bug is activated is: Short appearance, and disappears from that spot. Looking in the deco pallette and comparing the placed coords from /loc says it's there, but it's actually not. In each case, by using /slew and flying around I found the c'alist, nowhere near where I had placed it, with instances including partially embedded in a wall, standing on top of a cabinet in an adjacent room next to a wall, stuck behind a batch of ice blocks next to a wall.

- Best guess is the logic to find a 'safe' placement has gone wacko in a dungeon setting, and doing trial placements until it hits the 'edge' of the built dungeon area, and dropping it off there, without updating the registered coords in the deco pallette.

I'll try to build a minimally complicated room to trigger it and will send you that info.

4. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Alley Oop OK here's a test case and some more information. Not as simple as I'd like, but repeatable. This is in my dungeon with entrance at:
    Area: Moonvale (POT_tropicalisland_metropolis_01a_template/Moonvale) Loc: (57, 71.504, -260.958) DBG: UE9UX3Ryb3BpY2FsaXNsYW5kX21ldHJvcG9saXNfMDFhX3RlbXBsYXRlfE1vb252YWxlfCg1NywgNzEuNTA0LCAtMjYwLjk1OCl8KDAsIDAuOTgyLCAwLCAtMC4xODgpfDIwMS43MDU4fDY1LjkyNDMyfDEwLjI0NzI4

The specific placement given below will cause the location jump every time. Not every spot in this room will do that, which it makes a more interesting case than a couple others I found, though still kind of complex. I also replicated the bug at that location with a pet, which is in the nearby chest along with three conversationalists to try out. Perhaps a remaining issue from the previous problem with pets in dungeons???

Further note: In spite of what I said in the previous post, I did manage to replicate a conversationalist problem on an above ground (vacant) lot. However, I think it's a different bug: While there was a similar symptom of showing up on the deco palette while being invisible, it was not on the lot at all (hard to hide on a vacant row), and it was followed by a hard client crash that also took down my OS. I'll see if I can repro that one and file it separately.

06/04/2021 20:01
    Title: Mysterious moving conversationalists and pets
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details: Put the conversationalist right here and it won't end up here
    Steps to Reproduce: Put a conversationalist or deco pet (there are several in the nearby chest) in the open area between the hot tub, forge and bear rugs, and it will end up embedded in the pillar at the room entrance from the foyer, every time. Check the deco palette and it will list the original location, not the actual.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5675R CPU @ 3.10GHz (4) System RAM: 16384
    GPU: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics 6200 GPU RAM: 1536
    SotA.OSX.64.1388.Date.05.27.21
    Area: PlayerDungeon_GreyStone
    Area Display Name: Player Dungeon
    Loc: (-3.2, 0.0, -24.3)
    Debug: UGxheWVyRHVuZ2Vvbl9HcmV5U3RvbmV8fCgtMy4yNDEsIDAuMDA4LCAtMjQuMzE0KXwoMCwgMC45OTYsIDAsIDAuMDg2KXwtNTUwLjIwNTl8MzguNTQ3Njl8MTAuMjQ3Mjg=

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

okay, a few things: upstairs in the cabana you have a compendium teleporter. that's going to cause issues for any npcs in its general area. ...not within the dungeon though.

second: the coordinates in the deco palette are always going to be where it was originally placed, not where it wandered off to. that is not a bug: its wandering (whether buggy teleporting or normal walking) does not change the point it is tied to.

third: thank you for setting up the test trunk! i do not have the power to use it. this is going to need a real dev to impersonate you as the lot owner to check. i'll try to get someone to poke it.