QA Test Directive: Inventory Filter and Sort feedback

Discussion in 'Player Test Environment (QA Server) Feedback' started by Ravalox, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Please use this thread to provide feedback to the team relating to the QA Test Directive for the new Inventory sort and filter options.

The team looks forward to hearing from you!

Please see the Test Directive here: Test Directive

.dao., Chiasma and Anpu like this.
  2. Dorn Slate

Dorn Slate Bug Hunter

While this works on my personal inventory and other crafting trunks that I have. In my inventories I use bags to differentiate what I carry (i.e. Reagents, Potions, and Food and Drink bags) this allows for easier sorting after adventuring. Works as intended and I think a nice feature.

Ravalox and FrostII like this.
  3. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

This is a fantastic improvement. I have a couple of suggestions, or maybe they can be better classified as wish list items (some of these you hinted at in your testing directive post).

1. a filter option for quest items - I know there is a "show/hide quest items" option, but it may be easier to have a filter option that shows only the quest items (if the main option to hide quest items was active, then this filter would temporarily override that option).
    2. A check box to show all containers on the list regardless of the filter/sort - when this option is selected, it would show all containers (which are in the inventory) on the inventory list regardless of the filter/sort. Also, the main filter/sort selection will be applied to any opened container by default. for example, I have a backpack in my inventory that has potions & food (that I will save). After battle, i have a lot of looted food and potions that accumulate in my non-container inventory. It would be nice to filter "consumable", but still see my container. Then i can click to open the container and see consumables inside. I other words, once i set the search/filter that I want, I can search through all my containers as well as the main inventory without needing to "see all items", then open each container, and then filter/sort for each container, then filter/sort the main inventory.
    3. Maybe a filter for pets, taming (necklaces and collars), and mounts?

Well done ! :D

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Gravidy and Ravalox like this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I love the new filter options, provides easier options for me, and I like it.

One thing that I've noticed though,

On this part, if you click the reset button and then loot an item you previously had "reset", the full stack gets added into the Recently added list, this means, if I had 5 animal hides, click reset, and loot 2 animal hides, I now have 7 animal hides in my recently added, not 2. Probably working as intended with the auto-stack feature, but just something that confused me at first (thought I had looted 10 animal hides from a bear in a T5 zone :eek:)

Great work!

Ravalox and FrostII like this.
  5. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Some suggestions:

- Add options to show/hide certain category under sorting options
    - New sorting options for dye and things that can be dyed. So we don't need to drag the dye and keep scrolling and we don't need to put the dye in another container to avoid scrolling. (Same for a category to repair equipment)

Ravalox likes this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you have a category for locked; unlocked would be useful too.

and maybe keys? and quest items.

Gravidy likes this.
  7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Not sure what you mean by unlocked, thats all items?

Quest items section will be added so is the pet/mount and maybe collar in one section. Show hide certain category is rather complex and could be worked on in the furtur but id need to think about it.
    For the dye and repair kit ill have to work on another solution for that but im noting this as i agree its quite annoying to drag and drop around a whole inventory. For now a good solution is to use a bag specially for them. Make it easier to drag and drop on your equipment while both are open.

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Without having messed with the new sorting filters, I would guess he means something equivalent to a "Hide Locked."

Alley Oop and that_shawn_guy like this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yep. there's "show everything that is locked" but not "show everything except locked"

10. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

On QA build 1206 it looks like the Rewards chest has been overlooked for the new inventory sort system, still showing the old tabs.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  11. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Would it be possible to swap the dropdown and filter on the inventory window?
    As it is now, the dropdown is in the filter location for other windows. Muscle memory is easier with consistency.

Coswald_Dirthmire likes this.
  12. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

I agree with the suggestion above for a "hide locked items". (I'd argue that the current live inventory window with the addition of a "hide locked" feature would be a huge improvement, and a lot of this just feels like scope creep.)

There used to be a tab for "crafting", which I found *really* useful when sorting things into containers. Now there appears to be multiple categories: Material, Reagent, Tool, Recipe. I found the simpler crafting filter much more useful. On QA I tried to put the items for a recipe to "upgrade an artifact" on the smelting station: Click the dropdown, Filter By Material, Grab 100 Coal, Click The Dropdown, Filter by Consumable, Grab 1 Ancient Essence, Click the dropdown, Filter by Tool, Grab the Stone Chisel, Click the dropdown, Filter by Equipment, Grab the 4 artifacts.

Overall, I'd say that the new interface is not an improvement over the old one. I think that the the old tabbed interface with a "hide locked" option would be a better solution. Having said that, it does appear to work (although, the one big feature I was looking forward to, of hiding locked items, isn't yet implemented).

I agree with this. Using the new UI while crafting I noticed this inconsistency, and it's an easy thing to fix.

Also, it looks like a "taming collar" is a reagent, and a "gust ball" is a consumable.

13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Could always just make inventory work the same way as chat where you can make new persistent tabs and add whatever filters you want. Then you could go crazy and add a ton of stuff without any downside.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  14. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

After using the drop down menu for a while, i find it very clunky.
    The beauty of a tab system is you just have to click directly on the tab you wanna see (one step), rather than the 3 or more steps to use the menu (click on menu, scroll down window to the item you want to select, click on item). It was way easier to rapidly switch the sort options with the tab, than with the menu.

I think the best option for this would be click boxes. If you check a box, then those items would be displayed in the window.
    You could select multiple check boxes if necessary (for example, if you wanted to see tools and materials).
    This would solve the issues raised by Gravity and Alley Oop, and would be way more user friendly and efficient.
    You could even have user definable check boxes.

the entire sort menu could have a show/hide option if a player wanted to make the inventory appear more streamlined.

Addendum: it would be nice if the inventory sorting selections were saved so that every time you opened your inventory, the last sort selections will remain the same.
    So for example, if you selected show quest items, every time you open your inventory, your quest items will show.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Elgarion, Anpu, Lazlo and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.