1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Universal vendor with price

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by simon1974, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

There, fixed that for you :D:p

But I agree with your statement, yes, everyone would benefit from this.

FrostII and necronut like this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I asked Port to move my POT town to the Brittany area. They told me NO, it was over crowded. I moved to Kingsport instead.

Over the next several months several towns were added to the Brittany area.

Part of the RNG I talk about. Really Nothing for Greagoir that I get when playing the game in all facets. :)

3. necronut

necronut Avatar

Reasonably Nearby Greagoir?
    Recommends Naps Greagoir?
    Ridiculously Nimble Greagoir?

This is fun.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I still would like them to just do a global commodities search (and only that for now).

Then we can all sit back and watch what happens when they add that…..

Violet Ronso likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

The effects will be a lot different for different things though. Even among commodities, there will be a big difference between high demand commodities and everything else. The biggest risk is that it will be easier for people to try to corner the market on gold and silver and unload it at jacked up prices when there are huge demand spikes due to new gear being introduced into the game. That already happens though, and is more the fault of gold and silver being too important in SotA than it is anything else. The good news is that it's just a video game, so when prices get too high, we can just decide to go out and get our own ore. IRL, if oil companies collude to price gouge, people can't just go outside and start gathering their own gasoline, so it has to be taken much more seriously.

Where a more global system would really shine the most is with items that aren't particularly in high demand but are still important. Just think of how many times new players are going to need some random white iron binding recipe or something and waste a day running around looking for it. That wouldn't exist anymore, and that would be pretty good for the game.

FrostII, nimueCW and Violet Ronso like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The effects:

Since there is access and the ability of every player to prosses resources, there is never a corner the market, there is only a cutting off of things which players themselves do not practice self sufficiency in. That is to say, things that will find better pricing for their less desirable labor intensiveness.

There's no downside to this and the fear mongering surrounding this subject is all insignificant tit-for-tat issues, which matter a hill of beans after a week passes by. At current levels of consumption, Time Lord Farms alone can produce enough agriculture to sustain the entirety of New Britannia, "and Time Lord Farms is one of the smallest of megafarms there are!" Further, there's enough of every sort of producer to produce what we need, yet with such an open market, "all" our game's players will have just as much business traffic as every other player.

Fear mongering in this is madness. Each and every piece of our game is for each and every player who comes to our game to enjoy and desire to achieve. We currently have a top heavy economy which stifles our players full enjoyment in every level of our game.

~Each piece of our game is motivation to play more of it~ :D
    [​IMG]

I'm a free & open market sort of believer. More access means more game!' ;)

Universal vendor with price Please! :D ~Time Lord~

7. necronut

necronut Avatar

As long as whatever they add includes prices... I'm good with that.

Just rip the bandaid off. A Raph Koster article from 2012 about Auction Houses being bad is really good advice... for gaming with a larger population... 9 years ago.

We are small. We have a massive world.

And most of us are tired of going out to find things and having to spend more time on loading screens than actually finding what we're looking for.

Give me a global search without prices... I still have to go through the loading screen simulator to compare. We're still at square one.

Either fix it or don't.

And if it doesn't include prices, it'll make tiny handful of people very, very happy.

If it includes prices, it'll make a whole lot of people very, very happy.

8. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Actually my solution hurts the economy even more. What do I do?

I don't usually go to the markets anymore. I don't have that much time to waste.

I go out and hunt for it myself. Then sell it cheaper than the rest ;-)

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I AGREE!

FrostII and necronut like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Amen brother !
    The sad part is that the small number of people who are against it will end up benefiting as much (or more) than most, they just don't realize it.........

Time Lord, Scooby Doo and necronut like this.
  11. necronut

necronut Avatar

This! Yes!

They don't understand that stimulating competition stimulates the economy.

Saying that regs aren't worth what they used to be is completely shortsighted:

Remember when the farmers all whined that regs took too long and the devs doubled the output?

To borrow a phrase from Bill Clinton's first campaign: "It's the economy, stupid."

Twice the output of commodity + Half the demand = commodity worth half.

Reduce the reg output and watch the economy slowly level out after the backlogged horde of regs finally dissipates.

I put all these spaces in the middle because it seems people are only reading the parts they disagree with despite me being completely correct.

Like assuming I meant the majority of the population when I used the word majority in reference to the poll when what I said -which is still there- is just the word "majority," and, if you actually look at the poll... I'm 100% correct.

Picking nits just to pick them isn't productive. Ignoring completely valid, community supported, and correct points I made to sensationalize your own argument isn't productive.

Yes, I like an argument. But I also like merit. And an argument that ignores valid points and returns to picking nits lacks merit. I respect those people that disagree, but the community also largely seems to be in disagreement with those same people.

I can log into Raph Koster's SWG right now and find prices for any goods I want, and /way to those precise coordinates and visit that shop directly, buy what I was looking for and peruse the rest of that owner's goods thanks to the convenient, and incredibly easy to use universal search system with prices. And I love Raph Koster for including that in a game. People made a lot of money playing SWG back in the day... and the ease of being able to find those people who sold those goods was all thanks to the universal search system with prices that we all referred to as the Bazaar Terminal. Raph Koster's work on allowing players to find goods with prices was groundbreaking at the time and I will always be a fan of his universal search system with prices.

Also, from that same article we all love about Raph asking "Do Auction Houses Suck", let's take a look at what Raph has to say about it himself:

[​IMG]

Odd... it looks like he supports it for commodities and low end items... and that's a compromise I'd LOVE! Thanks again for the auction house and the support for the majority, Raph!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Time Lord, Scooby Doo, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Newer, mid-level AND old players care less about commodities and low level items than gear and weapons for the most part.
    I ( and I believe most others ) would NOT like to compromise and have Global Vendor Search limited to commodities and "low end" items... :(

Time Lord, Violet Ronso and necronut like this.
  13. necronut

necronut Avatar

You and I are in agreement. I just offered an olive branch to the very, very, teensy, weensy, tiny, almost insignificant minority who grow close to the verge of a temper tantrum any time price sharing gets mentioned.

At the end of the day, I would like ALL items to have prices across the board, the same way it was on SWG shortly after release.

But... for some reason that little bitty baby blip of people are the ones getting their way so far, even though they are 100% wrong, and you, me, the "majority" (kek), and Raph Koster disagree with them.

Time Lord, FrostII and Violet Ronso like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well either way the global item search needs to come in. If we keep the debate going for and against prices included it most likely stalls the process from happening. Trying not to displease one or the other camp. When I'm looking I just want to know who has the item and where. Teleport to zone scrolls help As long as the location is marked. So imo let's just get it in and let the devs make the call. We can't prevent abuse. There will always be players under cutting and making it their life's journey to do so unless we have set prices like some games but I don't see that happening. We just have to do our best and it would be nice if most try to be considerate but we can't micro manage everything. If I do good reasonable prices someone buys me out to resell for higher. That is irritating to me but I can't control it so I raised my prices a little which hurts New players and they think we're being the greedy one. The cost of resources is horrendous as it is with both time and money if buying. Anyway let's get it done and be a game. It needs to be implemented asap.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Wilfred, nimueCW, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

100% on all counts.

Time Lord and necronut like this.
  16. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

I think this might be a fair simulation of medieval economic conditions, which as we know from history it wasn't fun.

My stand remains the same, a means to significantly improve the ability for players to shop needs to go in. Expose the data in ElasticSearch when players list and buy items if Catnip wants to put the least amount of effort into it.

Engineer

Wilfred, Time Lord, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  17. necronut

necronut Avatar

Listen. Strange streamers arguing in forums distributing economic advice is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical marble ceremony.

Vesper, Time Lord, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  18. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Here are the Vendor Search options ordered from most annoying to easiest:

- No Vendor Search system (what we have now)
    - Town-Based Vendor Search without Prices (TBVSw/oP)
    - Regional Vendor Search without Prices (RVSw/oP)
    - Global / Universal Vendor Search without Prices (GVSw/oP)
    - Town-Based Vendor Search with Prices (TBVSwP)
    - Regional Vendor Search with Prices (RVSwP)
    - Global / Universal Vendor Search with Prices (GVSwP)

I would be ok with any Vendor Search system except GVSwP.
    Everyone is understandably annoyed right now because finding stuff is so hard.
    But I think GVSwP swings the pendulum too far the other way in making the search for items too easy.
    There needs to be at least a little friction in the system, or else there's no gameplay in the system.

Lord Stein likes this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

People looking to buy something could care less about whatever "gameplay" is....
    They just want to go buy it and move on - without the hopelessness of finding something that they can afford - which is what we currently have.

20. necronut

necronut Avatar

Laz made the argument that it would tank the economy, and he's wrong. Because in Raph Koster's SWG, shortly after launch, Raph Koster's
    allowed players to buy whatever they wanted from all over the galaxy, and prices did not drop, nor did the economy tank.

What Raph Koster's beautiful GVSwP did was allow any player, at any time, to be able to find what they were looking for without running through the loading screen simulator.

And sure... there's a little, almost immeasurable amount of people against Raph Koster and his GVSwP because they've been taking him out of context to support their flimsy arguments against it, the simple statement is this:

The vote took place. The majority have spoken. There need not be a referendum. There need not be further discussion.

Listen to the masses. Or listen to those *sses.

Datendrache likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.