1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Please remove the Heritage tag from Replenishing LB Birthday Cake 2021

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Wilfred, Jun 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

-
    Please remove the Heritage tag from the Replenishing Lord British Birthday Cake 2021.

One of the cool things about SotA is how players can freely trade stuff with each other.

Heritage tags are just sad, and should only be added to items when absolutely necessary, such as when re-releasing rares from past years.
    (It would be even better if rares were never re-released. Instead, release new versions with slightly different color schemes.)

I can see how cakes from past years should have the Heritage tag, but the current year cake should be freely tradeable.

----------

Cassandra Corax, Stealch and CICI like this.
  2. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

So here's my expanded thoughts:

- If the "Replenishing Lord British Birthday Cake 2021" continues to be sold as a Heritage item, then I will buy three of them during this release sale.
    (And gripe to myself while making the purchase, because I hate having to buy Heritage items.)

- If the Heritage tag is removed for this year's sale only, and the devs promise to sell the "Replenishing Lord British Birthday Cake 2021" with the Heritage tag in future years (so this year's version is more desirable than the version sold in future years), then I will buy five of them during this release sale.

- If the Heritage tag is removed, and the devs promise to only sell the "Replenishing Lord British Birthday Cake 2021" during this release sale, and promise that no versions of the 2021 cake (Heritage or otherwise) will ever be sold again after this release sale (making it an exclusive rare), then I will buy at least nine of them.

Other players will probably make similar decisions to purchase more or less 2021 cakes depending on the perceived rarity. It's just basic psychology.

----------

So let's do the math:

The "Replenishing Lord British Birthday Cake 2021" costs 1,000 crowns. Packaging it for trade so that it can be resold to another player costs 200 crowns. If 3 of the 2021 Heritage cakes are sold for every 5 of the 2021 cakes that would have been sold without the Heritage tag, then for every 3 of the 2021 Heritage cakes sold, 10 of the 2021 Heritage cakes must be packaged for trade (10 x 200 = 2,000 crowns) to make up for the lost revenue from selling 2 less cakes.

Are enough cakes being packaged for trade to make up for the loss in revenue due to selling less cakes with the Heritage tag? I seriously doubt it, but only the devs can run the actual numbers to know for sure. (Devs, you could run the numbers on the past 12 months sales and packaging of 2020 cakes to determine whether enough 2020 cakes were packaged over the past year to make up for the lost sales.) But even if there is more revenue from the packaging than the lost sales, I think the goodwill that would be gained by removing the Heritage tag would more than make up for it.

---

If for every 1 Heritage 2021 cake sold during the 2021 sale, 3 of the 2021 cakes could have been sold as exclusive rares (only available for purchase during the 2021 sale, with no Heritage or other versions ever to be sold again), then the devs are only getting one third of the possible revenue they could receive from the 2021 cakes this year, so twice the number of 2021 cakes sold this year would need to be sold in future years to make up for this year's lost revenue.

Are enough Heritage cakes being sold in future years to make up for the loss of revenue from less current year sales? I seriously doubt it, but only the devs can run the actual numbers to know for sure. (Devs, when this year's sale ends you could run the numbers on how many 2020 Heritage cakes were sold last year versus this year and estimate future year sales of 2020 cakes, to determine how long it will take to make up the revenue that was lost last year by not selling the 2020 cake as an exclusive rare.) But even if the possible future revenue from selling Heritage cakes outweighs the current revenue from selling the cakes as exclusive rares, I think the goodwill that would be gained by selling the cakes as exclusive rares would more than make up for it.

---

I understand the tendency of the devs to look at everything going on with the in game player to player trading market, and be annoyed that they are not getting a cut of the action. (The "Replenishing Lord British Birthday Cake 2014" was being traded between players in game for over 10,000 crowns for a while.) But devs, please consider what I'm saying; and understand that by discouraging trade between players with the Heritage tag, and by reissuing items that were considered "Rares", you are basically killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

----------

Also:

Devs, Please stop referring to exclusive items as "Dead Content". Your "Dead Content" is my "Rares". Back in 2016, I bought more than 10 of the "Replenishing Lord British Birthday Cake 2016", based on what I thought was a promise that it would be an exclusive rare, never to be re-released in any form. I'm willing to overlook and forgive the injury that re-releasing a Heritage version caused me, because I want this game to continue to grow and succeed. But referring to the "Replenishing Lord British Birthday Cake 2016" as "Dead Content" is just insulting to me, adding insult to my injury. So please stop. And remember, anything that can be reskinned with a different color scheme is never dead content.

----------

Edit: This post has maybe a bit too much ranting. So devs, please understand that I really like SotA, and I appreciate all the improvements that do get made every month. The topic of rares and collectibles is just something I really care about.

Thank you devs for all the hard work and passion you put into this game every day. :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  3. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Hot Tip:
    You can get an extra set of cupcakes by purchasing the cake in June. The cakes don't replenish in June, but they will dispense a set of cupcakes immediately after purchase. So you can purchase the cake in June, get the cupcakes, and then get another set of cupcakes in July when the cake replenishes.

4. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

Heritage and Vault items HURT sales for port.

Wilfred likes this.
  5. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

But, it does give them a piece of some of those trades. Of course, it reduces trades. so....

Wilfred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.