Why is there no usable boats/ships in game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by racerx, Jul 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racerx

racerx Avatar

Why is there so much artwork and not enough substance? Why isnt there any flying mounts? There are tons of ships in the game why cant we use them? Why is everything so "static" in this game? No wonder the game is dying. I was last here in 2016 there is a whole bunch of artwork but nothing has changed. SMH see ya in a couple of years

arcdevil likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi @racerx. Well to answer your questions of why: some reasons for no flying mounts would be technical limitations, how to allow for an avatar, mount, and all motions and stats to fly through a static environment. Who knows if it could be done with this particular game as its set up and especially at this point with 5 to 7 devs left on the team if that. Perhaps someone will provide a technical more accurate theory, but these are my thoughts off the top of my head. I love that we got mounts in and the tech to move our avatar on mounts, elevators, etc.

As for boating that is planned and in the planning stages. I'm hoping for waterways we can explore that land at key town docks, and fishing off ships and boats.

If things about the game at this stage are not quite what you would wish just keep checking and perhaps something will come in you'll enjoy. The remaining devs are still working hard on the game to add in things as they can that we request. I wouldnt say the game is dead in the water since its still getting content and new things continuously.

As I'm not sure what type of game you're exactly looking for I do know this game is all over the place on what it offers. Episode 2 is just starting to come in with not all story in yet. Some would say too much so and has had a lack of focus, but try, try, try is the moto here. I for one wish this game the very best. And best wishes to you. Any constructive ideas are appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

For a “dying game”, as you said, who the hell is using 36,987 Teleport to Zone Scrolls in the last 30 days?

Flying Mounts? Might be neat.

Usable Ships (like the old Ultima) would also be neat.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    "who the hell is
    using 36,987 Teleport to Zone Scrolls in the last 30 days?"
    :eek: Wow!' That's allot of traveling! :)

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

TIME LORD is! ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Good question... maybe they ran out of Seed Invest monies.

arcdevil likes this.
  7. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Totally agree. I'll ask on Chris on the next Friday stream.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: "Biggest Twinky I've ever seen!" :)

:DIt's one of the fastest ways to get from here to Japan that I can think of!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  9. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I thought those were going the way of the buffalo in favor of monthly release streams, or maybe I misunderstood

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Apparently, they're going to setup some method to submit questions ahead of time for the monthly stream.

11. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Anpu likes this.
  12. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Not trolling. For clarification, are there still going to be regular Friday streams or is it just the user questions that will be changed? Thanks for your response.

arcdevil likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Chris said that they are going to start having the stream only on the Friday after a release, and that they would have a way for people to submit their questions before the stream (so that people who aren't able to be present during the stream can ask questions).

evillego6 and Anpu like this.
  14. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

It was always a disappointment for me that you cant go fishing from a small rowboat. So, I gave it a short thought what it takes to implement it.

Since I'm not an animator, I would have to buy some animations.
    I will use this animation asset for mine game. RamsterZ sells them also for Unity.
    Next is setting up the animation to my character (State Machine, Blendspace and Transition Rules in Unreal).
    Now we have to spawn and enter our rowboat. Since there is now riding, some code should be reusable for this.
    We should setup some SFX (creaking oars and water splashes) and VFX (waves from boat and oars).

Most of you might think, hey that's it. Done in two Days. But here you are wrong.
    Because rowing wasnt planned from the beginning, we cant flip a switch so we can row wherever there is a certain water. Means, we have to revisit every scene and manually define where rowing should be possible.
    And there are many things to consider, most important question here:
    Can we reach places that shouldn't be reachable? Avoiding obstacles by jumping from the boat?
    Also we have to check that we cant row in places were we get stuck.

And there is another big point. The resourceful Avatar will use the boat as a safe place in his fight against monsters. To avoid this, we could not allow him to fight from a boat, but thats half baked, because he would lure the monster to the boat, jump on, heal himself and jump back in the fight.
    I think what we should do is, make the monster AI smarter and let even non magical monsters teleport on your boat and back. I dont know how Chris has setup the AI, but if he cant implement this behavior in a parent module, he has a lot of work to do.

I am pretty sure I forgot many things, but thats the first points that came to my mind. ;)

15. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

If every active player uses 3 tele to zone scrolls per day, there's about 400 of us playing the game for real right now.
    Not enough to make the "busiest" towns feel alive though. I can't remember the last time I entered a town with more than 10 players around.

arcdevil likes this.
  16. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

As a steward of my town, I'm able to fly around the zone. So the capability is there. They finally got horses, maybe they will have flying mounts eventually..

FBohler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.