Mingo's White Raven Inn

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Mingo, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

As Blackmailer Ambassador Butterfly clearly needed his time, I finished my Uisce Beatha and closed my eyes for a long nap...

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(White Raven Inn)--"Where was I?" Mingo said blinking silently.
    --"Zumwhere in RL it zeemz," Frida said with a yawn. "You should just ztay here."
    --"Sometimes," Mingo said with a tilt of his head acknowledging her wise saying, "you are remarkably astute, dear apprentice."
    --"A Stute?" Lilith whispered to Gerta. "Is that something like an *******?"
    --"quiet!" gerta said shushing lilith.
    --"Names should be capitalized," Lilith grumbled sitting back in her chair.
    --"I wish I was here," Mingo said cryptically, a dreamy look coming to his eyes.
    hmmmmm seems a derogatory term has been replaced by asterisks.... use your imagination.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Bodhbh Dearg, Lily Byrd and Time Lord like this.
  3. Lily Byrd

Lily Byrd Avatar

Lily dips her head in the door and hears the serious and mysterious tones emanating but no resolve. Knowing full well she was arriving in in the middle of something she ducked out again vowing to return at a less mysterious moment.

Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  4. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I open my eyes at the sounds, but seeing nothing of note, I close my eyes again, waiting until the story picks up again.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(White Raven Inn)--"Who was that lady?" Lilith asked.
    --"She is a famous bard named Lily Byrd," Mingo answered. "I think she went out to read the logs out on the front porch."
    --"So, lemme see....."
    (Mr. Robin's Neighborhood)--Ambassador Butterfly, representing the Dryad nation, continued his thinly veiled demands. "Yes, there is one other thing you have, besides gold acorns, that we want. Access."
    --"Huh wha?" Mr. Robin said (wherever did he learn that?).
    --"Access to what," intoned the giant warrior, Tank (aka Jeb Stuart).
    --"We seek to expand trade to the sea south of the Forest to the west. We want to build a road to the Red Sea, which is a source of iron. It would be a direct road without exits."
    --"A Beltway?" one of the leaders of an industrious zone inquired.

--"Yes...yes... part of our Beltway and Road initiative," nodded the ambassador.

Lily Byrd, Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  6. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Mr. Robin's Neighborhood)--"and what if you aren't granted access?" Jeb Stuart said with diplomatically menacing tones. "More caterpillars?"
    --"Oh no no no," Ambassador Butterfly said waving his tiny hand. "We would just withdraw from the edge of the Guaca Desert and leave you to the tender mercies of the armies of the LaundryTown Empire."
    --"what will they say, I wonder?" wondered mr. Robin.
    --"Oh, I know what they will tell you," Ambassador Butterfly answered, "they will say 'We're from the Government, and we are here to help you!' "

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  7. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In a dark room in the Beige House, seat of power of the LaundryTown Empire)--"Who turned out the lights?" asked Old Emperor Puppet.
    --From an unseen recess in the gloom the 1st String answered. "Ah, yer Excellency, best keep you in the dark to protect your eyes. Just stay put in the chair there behind your desk and play with the modeling clay in front of you."
    --"Yes, eyes are fragile things you know. I like modeling clay."
    --"You do good work, maybe we could have an auction of your sculptures."
    --"My son is having an auction of his crayon drawings," The Old Emperor said. "But I'm not supposed to know about it."
    --"Indeed. It is good that you are in the dark."

Lily Byrd and Time Lord like this.
  8. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Back onPossumRose)--Lyra and Mingo worked up enough courage to go out on the aft deck and talk to Tiny, the giant green mermaid who sat on the swim platform on the other side of the aft gunwale. "Hello," Tiny said, and then smiled, her lips kept together to hide her formidable carnivore teeth.
    --"Hail and well met!" Captain Lyra said. "I am Lyra, Captain of this boat, PossumRose, and this fellow is........"
    --"Mingo TheBard," Tiny interjected. "Renowned throughout the seas and with a high bounty from some mermaid tribes who prize singers and poets.....I won't turn you in though, I think you should continue living."
    (back in the White Raven Inn)--Frida scowled at this last revelation. "I don't believe it," she said. "I don't think any humanoid-eating tribe of mermaidzez would prize you at all, honored Mazter Bard."
    --"Well,"Mingo offered, not now, not here perhaps....."

9. Lily Byrd

Lily Byrd Avatar

Blinking and looking confused, Lily Byrd steps into the pub. "Who is revealing the post? I thought they were for holding up the White Raven Inn? How can you reveal when you haven't vealed the post?" Many other questions flooded her thoughts while she sat on a stool. "So who's serving drinks during the intermission?"

Bodhbh Dearg, Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  10. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

"Ugh" I proclaim, "The most entertaining thing I've seen here lately is the fact that Mingo forgot a double quote..."
    I yawn and make myself comfortable in my chair near the fire...

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In Mingo's room, where he lies supine upon his bed)--Mingo awakens, lying flat on his back to see hovering over him an elfin face with red eyes. Strands of hair hang down on either side of a most beguiling feminine face. Gossamer wings, barely visible beat slowly, bringing a downdraft with the smell of sweet ripe persimmons.
    --"Boo" the elfin lady says.
    --"Some Muse you are," Mingo says grouchily. "You've been gone six months!"
    --"Huh wha?" replies the Muse of Mingo, "I was only in Tir Na Nog for my week of vacation!"
    --"That was supposed be a week HERE, you know time is different in Tir Na Nog."
    --"Well," sniffed the floating elfin lady. "I'm back now. Get off your lazy ass and write something!"

Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  12. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

“Well” I muse over my glass of Oosquai “Be happy I sent her back after one week! She wanted to stay longer!”
    “Oh!” I write an quick note to Mingo reading “It’s Tír na nÓg!…”

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

14. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

15. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(White Raven Inn)--Fire Angel poked the fire on this suddenly chill day. Mingo comes down the stairs, hand braced along the wall as he shakily takes the steps slowly and hobbles over to a seat by the fire. "Nicely done," he compliments Fire Angel on her fire tending skill.
    --"I have some skill with fire," the red-haired lady grins with a wink.
    --"Indeed," Mingo nods lighting his great meerschaum pipe.

16. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Back on PossumRose)--Tiny the giant green mermaid shifted where she sat on the swim platform of the boat, causing it to roll a bit. "If you will pull up your companion lounging below, I will help you pass the Dire Straights without too much harassment from the Pie Rats....that is, if you have a pie handy...."
    --"I can whip up a pie pretty quick," said Capt. Lyra brightly. "you lot haul up RockSide while we are in this lull between the incoming and outgoing tides. "I'll go below and advise him," Tiny said, splashing off the swim platform into the water.
    --In the deep, no one can hear you scream, yet scream RockSide did as the giant green mermaid appeared out of the gloom, shiny silver trident in hand. Being a magical being of the gnome race, air was not necessary for life as such, only for speaking, but his scream expelled what was left in his lungs. "My my," Tiny said shaking a finger of her webbed hand in front of RockSide's face. "You are being recalled to the surface, and you have nothing to fear from me....I don't have adamantium tipped teeth..."
    --RockSide might have heard her, but even though wrapped in the anchor chain he tried mightily to run along the bottom of the sea.
    --"Dumb as a rock," Tiny said with a shake of her head, causing her mass of light green hair to float fetchingly about her shoulders.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Bodhbh Dearg, Time Lord and Lily Byrd like this.
  17. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Back on PossumRose)--Mingo and Hamster hauled RockSide aboard and unwrapped the anchor chain from the glum, silent gnome. "I'll get you for this, Hamster!" RockSide said with a glare, then he angrily pushed the glare overboard. "I can speak for myself!" he said cryptically.
    --"You're welcome I'm sure," Hamster said chuckling. Tiny grasped the gunwale and raised her head above the level of the deck. "Silly gnome," she said to RockSide. "There ARE some big fish that eat rocks, well they spit out the rock dust and consume the stuff that grows on the rocks, but none of them have adamantium teeth. Not in this part of the sea, anyway."
    --Hamster and RockSide, and even Princess BlueBell all shuddered at this thought of rock-eating fish with adamantium teeth. To lighten the mood, Mingo painted it white then said, "RockSide this is Tiny the mermaid. Tiny, RockSide the honest gnome."
    --Tiny grinned showing massive serrated and interlocking teeth, at which Mingo stepped closer to the other side of the boat. "Not TOO honest I hope?" she said
    --With a short courtly bow (oh ho ho ho....short...bow...gnome....ah well) RockSide responded, "A pleasure madam."
    --The smell of blueberry pie wafted from the open window of the enclosed cockpit of PossumRose, bringing a smile to Mingo's face. "We might be ready to get underway."
    --------------------
    (White Raven Inn)--Lily Byrd softly sang a song in an odd Irish language, much to the pleasure of Bov and a new unlurked patron, Vesper. Something about Tir na Nog.....dunno how to do the accent mark thing Bov, sorry.

18. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Mr. Robin's Neighborhood)--Jeb (Tank), Shania, and Ambassador Butterfly set off southward to visit the people who occupied the shores of the Rusty Red Sea. Jeb and Shania rode horses, the Ambassador glided along behind them.
    --"Check out the southern border guyz," Mr. Robin had implored Jeb and Shania. "I am concerned about the well being of our southern-most Industrious Zone.
    --"So, Ambassador," Shania said conversationally as they journeyed Southward, "You obviously are interested in Iron and Steel, but what do you have to trade in return?"
    --"Credit," the Ambassador replied. "The people we trade with can buy really cheap crap made in our.....territories....at a better price than they can make things by themselves. From day one of a trade agreement their shelves will be filled with .....things...we have made by our....workers."
    --This statement seemed a bit ambiguous to Jeb Stuart. "We might like to visit your territories some time and check out the conditions your....workers.... live and work under.
    --Ambassador Butterfly flapped his wings in an agitated manner. "Oh, some day perhaps. We have nothing to hide."
    --The country through which they passed, on the west side of the escarpment wherein lay the caves of Mr. Robin's Neighborhood dropped to a relatively level, sparsely wooded plain, through which a good though unpaved road meandered.

19. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Journeying Southward from Mr. Robin's Neighborhood)--As the odd trio (get it? trio? odd? oh never mind...) proceeded southward along a suspiciously wide and open trail, the wind rose up. "Hello," it said, standing on the path. "I am the wind."
    --"Isn't there a poem about you?" pondered Shania, who then pushed onward ignoring the personification of a force of nature. Ambassador Butterfly, however, was experiencing difficulty as he floated above and behind. "If you would be so kind," he said to Jeb Stuart, handing him the end of a gossamer line that lead to a hook on the Ambassador's belt. "The wind is not my friend, despite what people say on the beach."
    --Towing Ambassador Butterfly behind like a kite, and pushing through the wind which stubbornly refused to die down, the group continued.
    --"About three more hours at this pace," Shania said, remembering what Mr. Robin had told them. "Supposedly this tribe of humans is friendly."

20. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Back on PossumRose)--Princess BlueBell, about the size of one of Tiny's hands observed the giant green mermaid as she resumed her seat on the swim platform at the aft end of PossumRose. The princess hopped up on the aft seat and peered over the gunwale to inspect the mermaid. "Say, if you don't mind me making an observation....."
    --"Quite alright little talking rock, what do you observe?" Tiny responded.
    --"Are you perhaps....pregnant?"
    --Hamster and RockSide stayed on the forward deck arguing. Lyra continued putting the finishing touches on a blueberry pie, and Mingo commiserated with himself knowing he would get no pie, for he had lost his mittens.
    --Tiny smiled broadly. "Indeed! I shall bear my third son for Triton...."

(White Raven Inn)--Lilith interrupted explosively: "Now just a minute!" she protested, stomping her foot. "BOY mermaids?? I know Triton is male but BOY mermaids?"
    --"Mermen?" TimeLord suggested.
    --"Triton is a myth, clownfish," Frida provoked.
    --"Now now Frida," Gerta said soothingly, "don't go fishing for trouble."
    --"I am not a fish!" Lilith exclaimed waving her tiny fists in the air. Emiko tensed, preparing to intervene if physical injury seemed likely.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Lily Byrd, Time Lord and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.