Since we have adventure pool, crafting pool, how about PVP pool?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by queenbee, Aug 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Since PVE skill combinations are so different from PVP skill combinations, it's been suggested that having a PVP pool would encourage more people to PVP.

In simple terms, some players do not want to drain their adventure pool to train PVP skills which is why they don't PVP. To be good at both PVP and PVE takes a lot of training, effort, and skills. But they are so different when it comes implementing those skills. Having just one pool to train both types of skills doesn't seem to be enough.

The argument that there is not enough reward from PVP is valid. Right now I'm just dabbling in it because it's fun. But becoming good in it has been slow because of the drain on my adventure pool. Giving players a separate PVP pool might be a good start in "rewarding" people to PVP. It could only be used or gained while flagged.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    FBohler likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Where would the experience for this PvP pool come from?

FBohler and FrostII like this.
  3. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

To start, any time you do damage to a player?

FBohler likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Log in with 2 accounts. Have one character attack the other. Go to the kitchen and cook breakfast. Come back to the game, lots of pvp xp……

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Too exploitable.

The only way for it to work would be similar to the tournament standings, but that is a delayed reward. PvP mechanics currently just dont support RvR in PvP without review or overhead.

FrostII likes this.
  6. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

I always viewed that dueling should not be included in the leader boards. Maybe the same should be applied here.

FBohler likes this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

ONLY from PVP. that makes the most sense. You live by PVP you gain by PVP and die by PVP. Simple.

FBohler likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@queenbee
    Um, Bee............ What skills other than Pick Pocket and maybe Tabula Rasa are "PVP skills" ??

9. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

PVE: I was light armor, life (specced), range (specced air). This worked fine for PVE. For PVP, I've had to go heavy armor (specced), pole arms, and fire (specced). In order to get enough pooled exp to get these skills high enough to even survive PVP , I was advised to unlearn my whole range tree. Not a lot of people are willing to do this. Jemma Starr, a high level archer has stated he does not want to modify his skills to go PVP because of the pool table, otherwise he would PVP. So if the two tables and even skill sets were separate, more people would be willing to PVP. The PVP skill sets could only be used if flagged. Ideas are still being tossed around. This was brought up, thus I'm posting it.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I like the thought, but I think it would make PvP even worse with less players, because one would have to start PvP at a significant disadvantage from those who have developed the pool. I believe that if there was a way to make all PvPers equal, then it would be more encouraging to get into.

Elwyn likes this.
  11. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

@Tahru, they are working on areas where PVP would be more balanced. Obsidian Trials and (I think it's) Grunvald Shardfall that will nerf all skills to 100 upon entering. This allows you to practice PVP. They are working on Adoris Arena to allow teams. Then when you feel ready to take on the higher level PVPers, then there is always The Fall, the other Shardfalls, and the Brave Coast. We hold PVP fishing contests in The Brave Coast so you can get a feel for PVP.. You win not by conquering other players, but by being able to catch the longest fish. Yes, you may die, but just res at an ankh and continue fishing. You lose nothing other than a skull, hand, or jawbone. But if you catch the longest fish, you can win some good stuff and a cool trophy.

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@queenbee
    Again, what are "PVP skill sets" ?

Blake47 likes this.
  13. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Frost, I already answered you. Have you PVPed? If you have, then you probably understand that combinations that work in PVE do not work in PVP. Therefore, you would need to use different skill sets. For instance, armor... Cloth armor works for PVE, it does not work for PVP.

As a healer, I can wear cloth armor all day long with PVE. But in PVP, I'm the first one they target because they don't want me healing their opponents. Therefore I had to go heavy armor to survive long enough. I now use spears with life attunement instead of wands because I do more damage when they engage me in hand to hand.

Combinations that you would use for PVE does not work for PVP. Fireball, ring of fire, are pretty much useless in PVP because players know to just run out of them. Mobs don't sneak up on you and gank you from behind, so I have to keep immolation or atonal aria going in PVP.

These skills need to be high to be effective which takes a lot of pooled exp.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, so raise them like we all have to raise skills that we decide to use .
    What does that have to do with a separate PvP pool ?

15. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

I like people talking about ideas regarding PvP, I do disagree with this one though. There is no PvP without PvE, I don't think a separate channel of xp makes sense, Increasing the daring adventurer bonus for xp once fake multi has been fixed on the other hand, makes good sense.

Coswald_Dirthmire and Anpu like this.
  16. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Frost, I have answered your question... more than once. If I sit in a control point (PVE), then I would want to use those points to level my PVE skills. But let's say, as an incentive, you get PVP points every time you engage in PVP.. then you could have separate pools to level PVE or PVP. Right now my light armor, life, and range have become static because I'm using most of my pool points to level heavy armor, polearms, and fire. I unlearned my range tree so I could have enough pool points to level the other skills for PVP . I used to be able to solo dragons and the phoenix with range.. now I haven't even tried because I have no idea how to them yet with polearms.

17. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

Confusion and Torpid Torment are also PvP only.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Have you actually tried Torpid Torment on NPC mages?

19. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

Yes, with no effect, because NPCs do not expend Focus.

Barugon likes this.
  20. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

So I was the one who suggested this to Bee. So let me clarify some things in point form so they are clear.
    #1 This was done in many games I have played and is not exploitable.
    #2 It would be a 2nd adventuring skill tree that is has an exact copy of your current adv xp. (if you have 1 bill xp then both trees have 1 bill xp)
    #3 to use the tree you have to go to a town and change trees from say a pvp to a pve tree. (this is to prevent people from switching to pvp and pve whenever they want and stops exploitation.) So if you want to pvp you have to get ready in town to pvp before you go to zones ect.
    #4 you can use this as a 2nd spec so it doesn't have to be pvp, it can be a mage spec and a melee spec. BUT again to change these specs you have to go to a town to change them to prevent people from killing everything with fire then switching to their 2nd adv tree to melee magic resist mobs.
    #5 the benefit here is if a party is missing a healer or a bard someone can be "offspeced" in that and help that party. It also allows people to have a full pvp and a full pve tree so they can enjoy both parts of the game to their full potential.

to be 100% clear again, you MUST be in a town to change these specs so they cannot be exploited by changing mid fights in a zone.
    The devs don't have to do this, it was just an idea I had that I have played 2-3 games that did the same thing and it works out great. It gives people more options with their char, more healers / tanks / bards for groups, and gives people the pvp/pve option. Anyways this was just a thought since it worked so well in other games and I know 90% of the reason I don't pvp is because I don't want to lose xp in pve. I would 100% pvp if this was an option and I feel a lot more pvers would as well who don't now.

Elgarion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.