What do you do for fun in this game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bridge Troll, Aug 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

Just curious...

What do you, personally, do for fun in Shroud of the Avatar?

I enjoy taming; I think I always will (that is my hope). So far after all the nerfage, my toon is still playable but it is much more dull and I do not feel powerful. I don't feel weak, mind you, I am never at threat of death, but the fights ALL take longer. When I am not taming I do a lot of decorating and I am also currently trying to perfect Ronso's heavy bard concept on an alt.

I could get into what I do not like to do, but let's save that for another time, as it is a huge topic.

WHAT DO YOU ENJOY DOING IN THIS GAME??

Echondas, StarLord, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

There are too many things to list. I'll have to save my response for another time because it's a huge topic.

Time Lord, FrostII and that_shawn_guy like this.
  3. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

Interesting topic... and I'm sure that I will be thinking of more and more things long after I write this post. Here are some of my favorite things:

1) Crafting with a purpose. I love it when I come up with an idea, craft gear around that idea, and then try it out. Also love it when I am blessed with the opportunity to craft specialty equipment for someone else. I had a recent opportunity to adventure with Robert Beratheon. From watching his playstyle I spent days crafting gear, raising skill levels, and tweaking an air mage deck. Now I have a viable air mage build that I can use when adventuring as a fun change-up to what I normally use.

2) I love hunting big game. Locating it, fighting it to see what skills it uses on me and its behaviors. Building special gear and decks to challenge it (if none of my current work).

3) Along with #2, I love challenging myself in battle. My goal is not to kill fast, but more to have a rewarding and heart-thumping battle. What's the biggest dragon I can defeat with the least amount of gear. Can I defeat X with only using certain skills, equipment, etc.

4) I love building. Most of the time this means village-sized farms but other structures as well. Hours upon hours upon hours of my time has been spent building in SotA. Optimizing space vs planting spots to obtain the most efficient configuration. One of my favorite non-farm builds resides in Beran's Reach. A very special place for those that happen upon it :)

5) I love working on Lua and my SotA site. Building useful things for myself and sharing those with others.

6) I love helping people, especially newer players. Leading them on various expeditions based on what they would like to do. Giving them new experiences and hopefully a new friend to reach out to.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Echondas, Time Lord, Scanphor and 6 others like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You, Sir, are one of the great ambassadors for our beloved SotA !

Time Lord, Tirrag and Kelly O'Shay like this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

In my case, it's learning and discovering combat related things. If you would ask me what my end goal in Shroud would be, it would 100% be to own the biggest training academy in all of Novia, with conversationalists to create tutorials and everything else to help people with these things.

So I change builds every so often, when I feel like I've either mastered a build, or when I discover something new that could help or impact another build I already tried.

I also love theory crafting builds and decks, can spend hours looking at my screen with my decks and skill sheet open, and not do anything else.

Echondas, Time Lord, Tirrag and 3 others like this.
  6. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

Depending on your level, you could choose an instance and learn it. Learn where the lich is, where the obsidian bears spawn, where are the ferocious red spiders located? How can I tame a ferocious red spider? Do I pull everything, or pull one or two and work on one or two at a time. How far can I get through the Compendium of Pain and Suffering solo? How far can I get into the Rise solo? Can I beat a Dragon solo yet? If so, where can I go that's a little harder? If I can already tame a ferocious red spider, what's next in the list of tame-ables? Where is that located?

There is so much to learn here. Don't stop asking questions on the forums. Ask on discord or in the game chat also. There is a lot to do and a lot to learn!

Echondas, Time Lord, Tirrag and 2 others like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

For me this changes with the wind because there is so much to do.

But if there is just one thing I like to do, it is build a story, a life, and a world to live it in. This entails a lot of planning, crafting, decorating, messing with NPC's and game mechanics and trying to figure out how to do what I can't.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I typically logon, answer the oracle's question, try to think of something to do that would be fun, check LFG, note that it's only fishing and CP (or empty), logoff and do something else.

[edit] Sometimes I like to see what I can do in indestructible gear.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    FBohler, Time Lord and Bridge Troll like this.
  9. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

There are so many options. I do a bit of everything.

I can get stuck in crafting for few weeks. Then get bored of that and do some adventuring. Then move on to some side-questing. Skill leveling....Easter-egg hunting.... resource collections.... trading... running an alt through the main quests....on and on and on.

I simply will never have enough game time to run out of things to do.

10. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

Everything in the game is still fun! I have been going back to some of the early T5 zones and buff zones I wasn't able to do originally.

And I tamed my first destroyer and am currently collecting exotic pets like different colored wyverns and baby dragons and ferocious and large animals.

Also leaning in to start masterworking and experiment with that.

vj

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm currently quest building through building the mechanics needed that would not only aide my own questing, but the player made quests that other players would like to use the same mechanics for, as they don't need anything special for anyone to use them. I was once a troubadour back in the days when Ultima Online was a hot thing and questing mechanics have always been a wonderful thing to occupy my mind in.

Otherwise you can sometimes see my characters hunting here or there yet nothing intence. I enjoy using my hunting time to immerse myself, culminate that Ultima Spirit and then direct that back to deeper quest build.

I like the complicated things away from the tech side of our game which can get a bit too numeral counting for my tastes.

The social bonding and social oppositions which, like weather, effect almost every social interaction outside of clicks interests me greatly. Our game's psy-makeup tends to enhance social power struggles even when the players involved don't know or have never even met each other before. I find all that facinating.

Interacting with and meeting so many facinating people along my way to making the quest mechanics I do, is a real quest all unto itself and very rich, very artful throughout my travels. I LOVE+ being able to see all the art works others have done questing along their own life trails.

From the deco artists to the quest artists, the hunting artists, the fishing artist, the music artists, the PvP artists and the actual artwork artists; I often find my mouth gaping open as I try to keep up with my mouse to take in all that my eyes have been shown from each and every artist of every type within our game.

I am always awestruck in each of you I ever have privilege to meet and see the happy art of you!

[​IMG]

~Time Lord~

12. Vero

Vero Avatar

I love to go and kill stuff, over and over again ;)

Never done with leveling, never done with learning and getting better/faster, never done killing enough dragons! Never done with my awesome guildbuddy's :)

Sometimes a 'sota-break' is much needed and pull me back right into the Game after missing allot of sota-stuff in other games

Ok time to kill stuff now

13. oplek

oplek Avatar

Keep in mind the question was what's fun, not how many permutations of distinct things there are to do. Otherwise, No Man's Sky would be infinitely fun with the supposed quadrillions of planets there are to visit. People get bored after the first few dozen.

Being in zone A, wielding weapon B, walking direction C is one thing to do.
    Being in zone A, wielding weapon B, walking direction D is another thing to do.

In terms of what could be meaningfully distinct avenues of fun, I've mostly exhausted what the game has to offer me. There's the newer zones I could explore, if they weren't gated behind endless grind, which I don't have to heart to keep doing. But for the couple of grand I bafflingly sunk into the game, I'm still keeping an eye on it, just in case.

It doesn't seem like they have any plans on adding anything more meaningful for the game. As others have pointed out, there's enough zones. There's probably more POTs than (actual) active players at this point.

Maybe I'll go lie down on a bed. It doesn't do anything, but it is another thing to do.

Bridge Troll likes this.
  14. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I specifically listed thing I find fun from time to time. If all I did was grind for loot, I would not find that fun for very long. So, I move on to something else for a while and come back to it later.

My list of "fun" is not a short static list. If it were, I don't know that I would spend time in an MMO.

Time Lord, FrostII, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I craft to make better mage gear, level up to see if I can solo new areas. Play with my Market a lot, and decorate when I have time.

16. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I like finding bugs and reporting them :)
    (and cheating at marbles on Laz & Jack's stream to annoy Bridge Troll)

17. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

I like building my town and crafting. I don't currently have much spare time to do anything other than some farming right now, but I'd like to get back to adventuring to continue building my character and be able to kill stronger mobs.

Echondas, Bridge Troll and Time Lord like this.
  18. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

I tear down my lot and build something new all the time! Deck out my characters to make them look cool, and i kill stuff!

Bridge Troll, Time Lord and Echondas like this.
  19. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

OMG Barugon... I am the same - coto gear for me - eff this decay

Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  20. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

I haven't played in a while, but when I did play more I enjoyed collecting monthly subscription or login rares. I would try to make costumes that would fit my playstyle and design outfits and costumes to make them the best they could be. I did that in between, harvesting materials, trading, killing mobs, tutoring new players, crafting and collecting. I still have like 6 or 7 of the Lightning hammers that crackle when fighting. I also crafted and skin'ed an air mage outfit with my guild logo of the yellow lightning bolt across all my gear to make him look like a blue sparkly "FLASH" type character. Making a Thor look-a-like is actually pretty easy in our game with all the viking gear you can assemble.

I also made a really cool Moon/Water mage that uses the cool Moon/Water Orb in her hand along with the moon dagger. I havent completed her look just yet as I'm still undecided on how she should look...but I like that kind of stuff. Still waiting on treasure maps...IF THEY EVER COME!!!!! I might return to the game if they do.

Time Lord and Bridge Troll like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.