Just wondering - how and when do inactive users eventually get purged from forums?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kara Brae, Aug 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I'm just wondering when and how users are purged from the forum rolls, so that their posts are no longer discoverable. I know this happens because of my failure to find posts by one of the most prominent users in the early years.

Baron Drocis Fondorlatos was an early huge backer who had the dream of making his PVP town Rat's Nest a thriving PVP town. He was the most frequent poster in the forums with over 18000 posts in all. His posts had more likes than anyone except DarkStarr. They were very opinionated, but very well-written. His dreams were never realized as the game development went in a direction he didn't like. He eventually changed his name to "I’m done with this game" and rage quit.

Back in 2018 I sent a private message to Berek, who was then Community Manager asking how to find the Baron's old posts, because searching for his old and new names suddenly yielded no search results. Berek said he hadn't even noticed the change and would look into it. I wrote him again a few weeks later and he said again he would look into it. And that was the end of the story. In the meantime, the user "I'm done with this game" has also been completely removed from the Top Lists on the Member page as if he never existed.

I am not complaining about posts from defunct users disappearing - it is the prerogative of the game developer to remove old posts that might only sow confusion in the active player base. I did wonder if there was some announcement in the past on the part of the developers that this would happen. If not, it's no big deal. I'm just curious and apologize if I wasted anyone's time with a question that has lost relevancy. :)

Cordelayne, smack, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

Time Lord and CrandalltheFoole like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Our posts and the posts of others long ago are no longer saved beyond a certain time, for whatever reason. I think mostly because they are mostly irrelevent.
    Our Baron Drocis Fondorlatos still looks good in his painting though doesn't he :D~TL~

4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I remember the first and only time I saw BDF playing in the game. Blood Bay had just been implemented in the game and someone pulled together a random party to go kill the clockwork dragon. After killing it a few times our group and a few others were standing on a beach nearby talking to List (one of the devs). BDF ran up and started talking to the dev and ignored my sarcastic comments I made toward him. Only regret I have in this game was not trying to kill him when I had a chance. Would have loved to have that body part :D (although I can't remember if those even dropped at the time).

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The link you posted doesn't work ... What was the 2nd name change?

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Yes indeed! The painting is the main reason I can never forget him! (Isn't it called "The Curmudgeon"?) I know that there are several paintings that immortalize players, but the other one that I have hanging (so I can't forget the person) is I think of William of Serenite or something similar. I may be mistaken about the name - I haven't really played for a great while.

Cordelayne, Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
  7. oplek

oplek Avatar

"poor game design", but you'll have to specifically search "posted by member".

Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

We were extremely close to actually having two PvP guilds to oppose one another when he dropped out. As I recal it, it was because a few in our community at the time just kept lone wolf badgering against any group pvp because of "who" may be those guild's leaders, which still holds true today. We can get so close and then... pffft... it's as lost a cause as it ever was again.

Baron Drocis Fondorlatos was great for advancing our rhetoric in all issues. Most of his 1000s of posts were only 3-8 words long defending his larger more provocitive posts.
    ~TL~

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Do body parts change name if the account they came from changes avatars?

Time Lord and Xee like this.
  10. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

When Antrax and his crew were playing regularly we actually had quite a bit of pvp going on. But the issue has always been the lack of support for pvp from the developers. You can blame players all you want, but it is the devs who haven't given us any pvp tools and left combat bugs/imbalance in for way too long at times. Sure they may have been listening to players, but ultimately it was their decision and still is. Hopefully soon we get some pvp love, just a few small changes could go a long way to bringing us some meaningful pvp.

I don't think so, I assume they would just use the name at the time of drop. I would have still cherished his skull tho, even if it said "poor game design" lol.

11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Every thing in time... considering the size of the game and the small team its a lot of stuff to chew out to get there.... the wishlist keeps growing faster than the content can be made or fixed so its a long long haul to get where things will be :)

12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

the askadev as been widely successful. Unfortunately, our small dev team may review 10% and implement 1%. I applaud the dev team for making that as a tool to get requests.

13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I totally agree, I was mostly complaining about decisions they made in the past about pvp. They've been doing a great job lately. Overall seems like things are headed in a direction that I'm very happy with, I've been playing a lot more lately. But as for pvp, I'll believe it when I see it

Scanphor and Xee like this.
  14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

indeed. PVP stuff is in the works, we know as we saw a queue system a while back being worked on, and long long ago the idea of castle siege system. so there is still hope.

Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  15. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

The Obsidian Keep with its four towers always looked to me like a four team "capture the flag" scenario location.
    I would set it up as a dev controlled instance, as the average SOTA player cannot afford a City lot.
    A team prize would be a good draw which a dev (or a dev designated person) would award the prize.
    This could also be a repeatable quest restricted to two to four teams of avatars.
    Death in the towers would be automatically restored at ground level entrance of each team's tower.

majoria70 and Time Lord like this.
  16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Ah, thanks a lot! I was able to read a few posts from 2018 that were really interesting. One really struck home - it was about a guy who solo killed a dragon 1200 times in one month, which resulted in the dragon AI being made more difficult. Of course, I never killed a dragon and the one time I joined a dragon killing group I stayed in the background until everyone else decided to leave suddenly without my noticing and I ended up alone with the dragon. But not for long.

But the endless XP grinding referred to in that post and the resulting increase of difficulty is what made me quit this game, too. I spent over 3,000 hours in this game and it was a big part of my life in the early pre-alpha years. But after persistence when people could grind and grind and grind XP and nothing was reset, the content had to be made more challenging for those people. A klutzy person like me could not keep up and even familiar and favorite scenes in the game became off-limits to me because they were raised in difficulty. Anyway I still think back fondly to the early days I spent in this game and all the wonderful people I met. Who remembers the wonderful mazes the 4B Guild used to make out of cabinets? Those were the days.

17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Haha I remember that, I think that was a dev contest. I can't remember who won, but if I remember right @DavidDC came in second.
    Good times for sure! Sorry it didn't work out for you!

18. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Good old days :)

19. Vero

Vero Avatar

Some never stopped killing dragons ;)

20. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

That was Boedy, one of our Guildmembers. He stopped playing und sold all of his stuff because of the crafting system.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.