Changing attitude towards PVP...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by queenbee, Jul 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

I played UO back in the day and i was ganked all the time! I finally fought back! I got to know a bunch of the PKrs and i was taught by them how to PVP. Then i was legend as a blue pkr, who had no fear! PKK! When reds ran my job was finally complete!! My guild was called "CYS", "Consider your sins" and it was openly displayed on top of my house for all to see and challenge if they wanted! Those of you that know this phrase are well aware of its meaning (how many times did we have to say that at the shrine???) I loved it! Like in that game, i go from non pvp to pvp back and forth when needed. I would really love to see PVP get some love in this game!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    FBohler, Elgarion, Adam Crow and 2 others like this.
  2. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

Another thing you can do is find someone that will get those that crossed you over and over. there are many people out here in the world that would love to do stuff like that for a "reward"/"fee" sometimes depending on who and what dangers the price will go up or down. other times you can get a "pro bono" where we could possibly do it for no gold at all! again depending on who at that point. Shop around and look for someone to take care of that problem for you! it also helps with thier game play as well.

3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Just an FYI - I find your posts hard to read tbh as you use a text size like double the standard size....

4. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Lol - yeah I'm in the same boat having reached "a certain age" ;) and the default size for these forums is pretty tiny - but you know most browsers let you set a default zoom level for each site? I have this site set to 125% of standard, so most people's posts come out a nice readable size whilst yours are a bit like reading an advertising billboard close up :D

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

In my opinion, the reason pvp is so bad in this game is because of the implemented mechanics. There is no such thing as guild warfare in this game simply because there is no actual way to make it work. Until guilds can declare war on each other and ONLY be able to openly fight each other (instead of flagging everyone involved open pvp) it's not going to happen. It was a cheap way to make pretend they added guild warfare and it didn't work.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    queenbee likes this.
  6. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

I'm giving a shout out to jrs99 (Asmodi M'hul) for these PVP fishing contests. They have helped give a positive image to PVP.

Asmodi puts a lot of time and effort into hosting these PVP and regular fishing contests.
    He spends COTOS to move his ship from town to town as he hosts these contests.
    He arranges rewards from town owners.
    He sits in his chair in front of his ship and allows himself to be cannon fodder without any sign of irritation.

Honestly, the PVP leader boards are the most active during these PVP fishing contests.

I know the Developers are working to increase the ability for everyone to enjoy PVP. So thank you!
    Until then, these fishing contests are helping more people to enjoy PVP. Good job ASMOGEE!

7. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

I don't even now how to respond to that one Bee except for thank you.
    All I know is we had 2 new PvP fishers last night :)

Adam Crow, Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  8. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

9. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

If you are warned that you're about to enter an open pvp zone and you enter anyway, then it is consenting. So your comment makes no sense.

10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

That is a jerk move. However, no one ever said that all Avatars have virtue. That vices still prey upon the land is why the game is about developing Avatars seeking virtue.

Now show what Justice is about. Get a band of adventurers together and go smack down that criminal.

11. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

You know that PvP is on life support when it's being driven by fishing contests.

I wonder what could Chris do to make PvP a viable, fun and relevant part of the SotA experience, just like it was in UO.

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Yep, that's why a few of us have been working very hard to give PVP a less toxic environment. The Devs have made some changes and are adding things to help make PVP more accessible to the average player. What I would love to see is something like Darkness Falls (I think it was a zone in DAOC) where you battle for control of the zone. The winners enjoyed the benefits of the zone while the losers got kicked out for an hour).

13. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

I am working on some PVP stuff so stay tuned, im in the process of fine tuning things.

Time Lord and queenbee like this.
  14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My attitude has been changed. The pvp fishing event was fun. I had a 2 pound fish. I got pked twice. Not too bad.

Anpu, Winfield, Violet Ronso and 3 others like this.
  16. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

17. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

I was pleasantly surprised to see you last night :D
    Thanks for coming out!

18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

There was a MMORPG I used to play many years ago, in which the PvP portion of the game took place in a special scene designed solely for that purpose. Every Sunday a huge PvP contest was held, in which the guild with the most damage dealt to the enemy (NPC) structures would win (technically it was a PvE contest, but with open PvP enabled, so everyone would first wipe out the competition and then start doing the objective while they wait for respawn/ress).

The winner guild took a tax from all gold spent in NPC vendors and had access to a fountain of the best mana potions (which were rare and expensive) for the next week. Not to mention the prestige, rivalry and bragging rights.

This event made the PvP community so strong and competitive that PvP was actually the end game for almost every player.

I wonder whether this is possible to happen in SotA or not, I think it would be awesome to have such a system.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  19. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

I've said it a few times before, and I'll continue saying it. Factions! There should be several factions, and they should provide benefits to their members that cannot be otherwise obtained. Each faction is at war with the others. Faction currency that can be used to purchase things only available to people who are in a faction. You earn currency by killing members of opposing factions and taking control points owned by opposing factions. Any time a faction starts a Faction Control Point, a server-wide message is sent out in Universe chat, giving opposing factions a chance to interrupt the Control Point Take-over. I think people would be into that kind of pvp.

Asmo's fishing contests have been a great boon to pvp in this game though, and we should all be grateful to him for his contributions to this game. He's the real champ.

Winfield, FBohler, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

You know what? You are right, that sounds like an awesome idea! I like this a lot!

FBohler, Time Lord and Virsago2099 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.