Return of Ransom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Revenant, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Revenant

The Revenant Avatar

I suggest returning the rescue system as I see there are players who are fishing or farming on pvp maps without any risk, this defeats the purpose of the pvp map system, and many of these players are in "afk" mode (this is the main one problem) .

Catnip Games Monthly Fishing Tourney and Catnip Games Monthly Treasure Hunting Contest doesn't make sense on a pvp map, you find players fishing or farming in afk mode, you kill them, they just resurrect and come back until you give up killing and they continued there on the map farming forever.

note: even if it is a default value, for example 5k per artifact and 2k per random item, return it with ransom.

Joe Zhudarak, jrs99 and Violet Ronso like this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I know that the ransom system is something many players are afraid of, and is somewhat easily abused with packs of junk, so I agree I'd like a risk element to be brought back to PvP, but I don't think the ransom system we had in place before is the solution...

But yes, 100%, bring back risk!

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Account wipe. You die, you start back in Solace Bridge with a brand new character.

FBohler, Cordelayne, Barugon and 2 others like this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

With a twist. Everyone is perma-flagged starting now, with no private instances anymore!

FBohler likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Better yet, when you flag, you have to provide the Oracle with a credit card number. Every PvP death costs you $5, transferred to the account of whoever killed you.

FBohler, Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

"Well, need to take out a second mortgage."

"Why, lose your job?"

"No, went AFK in Paladis."

FBohler and FrostII like this.
  7. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

There needs to be risk vs reward yes, the ransom system however isnt the answer in the meantime. Better to let them figure out the new system and put it in place vs reintroducing ransom which will just scare off people who want to get into pvp.

FBohler, Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ransom is the #2 reason why I never PvPd. (Body parts being #1). That said, there should be risk in some form. Just one that makes sense.

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Curious, why are body parts reason #1?

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

i didn´t noticed any increase in pvp activity wih ranson turned off... bring it back at least tournaments don´t be won by people afk fishing in pvp scenes (maybe botting)

11. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

The last 3 Catnip PvP Fishing Tournaments were won by me and Estroma... I can promise you we weren't AFK or botting :p

I just don't want to see Ransom turned back on in Brave Coast because I think it would discourage RHEC PvP Fishing participation big time.
    You turn on Ransom in Brave Coast and i might as well sail my PvP ship home and dry dock it :(

... Master Angler Estroma Tolito :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

There really is not a great amount of risk in the ransom system.

You pay a small amount of gold and you get your stuff back.

Its pretty boring.

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  13. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Personally, I thought this whole ransom thing was great for PvP. First, forget about "voluntary" (I saw a thread that's still going strong from a month or two ago about that - I step into a PvP zone or I flag, I am open for it, period). Second, forget the actual mechanics (again, another long drawn out discussion that's gone on for years). What I liked most about it, and this is as someone who absolutely sucks at PvP, is that it was NOT full loot. Now, there could be some times where I want to risk it all and that's fine. But I know I am not alone in hating to be jumped by multiple players. I know I am not alone in hating to be griefed. Etc. Etc.

What this allowed is for me to say to myself, "If I get jumped, there's only a small chance my best pieces / loot will be taken, and only then by a 30-day ransom that I have....errr...30 days to pay." This really seemed like a good compromise.

I know that early on I was carrying bags of arrows; that was nerfed if I recall. So it was risky, but not overly so.

But as usual, people get riled up about stuff like this. I do recall someone in my guild complaining that they had to acquire the gold to pay off their ransom, which was probably less than 10K gold early on. My own highest was about 5K. Let's be honest, that's not terrible. And that only happened to me a few times out of the hundreds of PvP deaths I endured during Ransom-Gate. That's what I'll call it from now on.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  14. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

its not about your contests... is the official monthly one in pvp scenes

15. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Brave Coast was an official Catnip PvP zone/scene last month.
    Shardfalls and such, bring it on! Just please keep it out of Brave Coast

16. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

I read again what i wrote above.. was not my intent to questioning others monthy events... its about this month... there is a player dying over and over , always seems to be AFK when we kill him and keep fishging hours a day because there are no risk without ransom...

Anpu and jrs99 like this.
  17. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Report him please. Devs had said AFK bot fishing will get you banned.

Elwyn, FBohler, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thus far, there has yet to be a lure placed in PvP that would cause a "significant" amount of players to participate, or risk enough to justify more reward for PvP fishing tourny.

I want to see PvP things sold in the coto store to justify the development costs of enhancing it, as there is likely only a hand full of players who would become more alured to PvP even if it were enhanced.

There's international gambling laws which prevent some things, but we do need something to offset any development funding costs, or we stay happy with the state that PvP currently is in.

I think the wind turbines were a step in the right direction, but I think we have yet to see their PvP potentials.

• Risk = Reward, I don't see as a driving factor in PvP, that's only a passion.
    • Funding = Development, I see as "the only" driving factor which I think we need to place our PvP thinking towards in order to better our PvP experience to draw more players to it.
    :eek:We need to sell things
    [​IMG]
    that make it more fun!
    ~Time Lordy~

19. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Yup, that would successfully get rid of (almost all of) the remaining pesky players still playing this game :D

20. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

You have never been killed after purchasing a large stack of something with a high resale value. Think like 500 pieces of Pine Resin or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.