Return of Ransom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Revenant, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

"Significant" amount of players... that made me giggle.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:) Yep, we need money! and to get money we need things that make money and the only things that make money espcially for PvP, are items that would make PvP more fun. Gamers looking for PvP games are not looking at SOTA, unless our PvP develops some sort of gimmick or gimmicks that could draw them to be more alured to our game.

It's for these reasons that I believe "it's the stage and it's props" which can effect our PvP alure, while also providing $ for development.

I think these were a step in the right direction and I'd like to see a trampoline.
    [​IMG]
    We need to find ways to use such things to spice up our SOTA PvP experience.

Doing the same things produce the same results which only continue to povide our PvP's stagnate levels of alure, when we need better.
    Or we need to be happy and content with the PvP player levels we currently have which are unchanging.

Our PvP interest numbers haven't changed from 2013 levels chatting in our forums.
    Here we are in 2021, with no significant change in SOTA PvP's population.
    ~TL~

macnlos likes this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

We need a separate PVP shard and remove all PVP stuff from the Main shard PVE area. Then the PVPers can have anything they want with no impact to the PVE players.

FBohler likes this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

While this would be a very coventional way of solving some things, I don't see splitting our base as a good idea.

I think we need new thinking, new ideas, unconventional ideas, duel and small band accomidating ideas. I don't think our community of players would benefit from having less players to interact with, while our PvP community are sent to live alone in a penal colony. I don't think there's any call for PvP to be banned or disliked to the point of upsetting any PvE players, nore visa-versa.

When PvP was first introduced as a sport held in PvP arena basements, there were quite large crowds gathering to witness and even bet on the fights. Our Basement Arena are now "out of date", offering no more than just an enclosed area for fighting as if in a boxing ring. That's all "old hat" in my perspective as well as all others because they're never currently used. But what if there were a "superdome style area" with all types of combat things to take over inside it for our current size PvP gatherings?

[​IMG]
    Our current fishing torny are a great example, but I think their areas are not up to date as specialized combat area. They are a product of our old ways of PvP thinking. If there were a better PvP fishing place, then that would be something so see, yet where do we place spectators?

It doesn't have to be a dome at all. Our current Cabalist areas are a good example of such an area size wise, yet the siege weapons there are lame because they're unimportant as killing weapons.

The spectators also need a place inside such an area, so they can see the fun and thus become more encouraged to engage.

It's for all the old reasons that such an advanced play area needs to be developed, so our PvP becomes like no other and thus aluring.

In my opinion our old concepts of battle have got to go or must evolve into something someone wants to come see, as we all saw in our old days of the now out of date arena.

[​IMG]
    ~TL~

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  5. The Revenant

The Revenant Avatar

I see a lot of cool ideas and others not so much, however, the focus was to say that they removed the ransom system to attract players to pvp but that's not what has happened, what has happened is that players are taking advantage of this using pvp maps for farm and often in AFK mode because there is no risk, as dying makes no difference.

Cordelayne, Anpu and queenbee like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Imo ransom was always a bad idea and poor design. Where are the pvp incentives? Pvp quests with pvp rewards and items such as pvp titles with buffs etc, timed Battleground scenes with flag capture, titles and even tokens to purchase pvp items. So much reason to pvp not added in but never ever add ransom back in.

7. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Returning ransoms is as purposeful as discussing anything on the forums.

Cordelayne and Anpu like this.
  8. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

PVP can be adjusted by not allowing certain level amount above the person pk'd for instance if im level 20, then a level 50 should not be able to attack me (for this particular game) so there should be a level per level regulation how ever many above or below. Full loot should be available in this scenario except gold since we really cant bank it.

With lever per level regulations more people may PVP? I don't know? Just a suggestion. ultimately when you flag pvp you openly invite to be attacked. There's no other way to put that. I was not only a PVP in UO, but i was also a victim until i learned. (back in those days there was no trammel or felucca.) I just had to learn to keep stuff off me i didnt want to lose. The worst part for me was the fact way high level characters killed me over and over. which killed the fun for me (cause i couldn't do anything hardly) so eventually i learned how to do it, and do it well. I travelled in groups and i learned how to pvp myself. eventually the reds had competition from me. I could've killed lower level pkrs if i wanted but they had nothing i wanted since my stuff was way better and my level way higher. It was more fun to fight against a group or someone closer to my level. They learned really fast that i didn't have a problem going from blue to red!

So theres my input that might make PVP better and get more people involved in PVP for this game in particular.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  9. oplek

oplek Avatar

I can't say I understand the fascination with risk. Why, back in my day, there was zero risk when playing deathmatch. You died, respawned, grabbed a shotgun and armor, and went back to it. It was fun. Now all the youngin's and their risks and microtransactions and cosmetcs.

Cordelayne, FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  10. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

If I go into pvp mode I use stuff that is expendable, some high level with not so hIgh level. There has always been a risk of losing stuff in pvp, and I understand that. Reward to me was two fold, getting decent stuff or just revenge! Mostly revenge!!! Lol

FBohler likes this.
  11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

from my view its very simple, store bought items need to be excluded from the ransoms. I did not pvp because I dont want to have to stop to unload everything just to go out for a night of action. I carry a lot of POT stuff on me as I am always doing things. Love PVP but I dont want to have to loose real money to pvp plain and simple.

I also would love to see a con system like UO. all are in pvp technically and grey. (or all that flag are grey) if someone kills someone than they con red for x amount of time which flags them as pker. this than allows any grey to attack with out worry of turning red. many other games had similar system. Than we could also make it so guards in NPC towns and player towns will not let red players pass making them actually useful to have in a town.

Than we have at least a system that one lets another pvp player know if there is a red guy he is more than likely going to attack you. I am not the type that flags pvp just to kill random people. some love to just kill all pvpers this system would work for them as well make them outlaws. could have a town specifically for outlaws to buy / sell like other games with simular system.

beyond that would love pvp quests, loot, and reasons to pvp. capture and hold points for special world buffs etc.. give guilds a reason to war over stuff. so much could be done to make pvp amazing I think. all in good time.

in the mean time though I would leave the oracle bounty system off until they come up with a better over all system.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I prefer systems that make sense. Avatar or not.. if you lose parts.. they should be gone. It makes absolutely zero sense for someone to have your skull mounted somewhere when it's clearly still on your shoulders. It also reminds me of the behavior of.. shall we say less considerate PvPers that ran rampant in my earlier online experiences that gave PvP a bad name. For that matter, the whole backstory of "it's not your real body" is something I've long chosen to ignore for various reasons. If that were the case, the extra body parts shouldn't exist at all.. if the main corpse disappears when a new body forms than the bits you took with you should also etc etc.. I could fill a page or two.

Wilfred, FBohler and Violet Ronso like this.
  13. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

Also opens a bounty system and another job to make money! :)

Xee and Violet Ronso like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Partly due to the fact that like any other single player scenario in a multiplayer environment.. it has no world impact. If say.. PvP resulted in something that affects the economy.. then people would do it to drive prices or influence supply and demand... Then again, ironically hard to do with a "player driven economy"

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You'd be surprised how many things went into the game because of forum posts.

Wilfred, FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  16. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

The point being made is; there needs to be a consequence to dying in PVP. Ransoms make sense in certain PVP zones, but not in all zones. So start throwing out ideas to create a consequence for dying.

I will say this though, Asmodi and I (and others) have worked hard to give PVP a better spotlight. If you put ransom back into Brave Coast, I'm done with PVP, representing PVP, contributing to and hosting PVP events. I die way too much to have to pay out for items I lose.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  17. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Ransoms make sense in certain PvP zones, for example, zones that you want to make sure nobody is ever going to go to.

FBohler, Violet Ronso and queenbee like this.
  18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Like The Fall? That one makes sense! It's a scary one!

Xee likes this.
  19. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Maybe when you are brought back to life its magic and rebuilds a new you from the Aether! that would also explain why when we die there is remains of a skeleton still there. if anything the skeletons should reflect the missing part hehe. then the rest would make sense if we are remade.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's not true. To be effective in pvp in this game you have to level up with pve, buy high end gear and participate in the economy. If pvp players don't want to grind for gold then they have to buy crowns. So the more pvp players in the game the more money the game will make. They are also the most likely players to buy extreme high end equipment, so their existence really helps crafters and the gear economy.

Johnwick, jrs99 and queenbee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.