Newb leaves the Nest and goes to the Library

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by grandmaJOY, Aug 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

With a few long days of experience playing Shroud and trying to understand the intricacies of its many systems, I felt I had enough of a working knowledge to be able to read some guides. Here were the books I checked out on my first Library run:

Anpu's excellent primers found here:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ting-started-the-outskirts-and-beyond.161220/

Sara's amazing Blades dissertation:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...guide-to-becoming-an-epic-swordswoman.114134/

Although I normally play ranged Magic users, I sort of fell into using blades with a lot of magic support (due in large part to the sexy +2 Bandit daggers one can acquire in Newbville). After reading this highly detailed study, I decided to commit to blades and heavy armor and hope for the best. Knowing I will not be locked in to this decision, a truly nice feature of SoTA, made this an easy decision.

Many thanks to the kind authors!

If anyone is still reading, here are 3 random questions:

Zinc ore...why? I have already amassed a ton of this and the wiki shows only 2 recipes I'll never make. Is there anything useful I can do with it or is it just vendor trash?

I have a collection of maps and decided to open them today (I love maps) sadly, they all have gibberish language on them. Is there a method to eventually "translate" them? Did I mention I love maps<3

Do buffs from one bar/deck carry over when you switch bars/decks?
    If so, am I correct in assuming it won’t carry over if for example, you cast Bolster Balance (a shield skill) and switch to a deck without a shield equipped?

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

those recipes are new and more are planned

https://sotawiki.net/sota/Runic

those maps are not part of the current mapping system. they're nice to collect, and you can find recipes to frame them, but the map command opens maps from the new system (which is still in progress)

yes and right

3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Thank you @grandmaJOY :). That blades guide is old but still pretty useful. Feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything. Glad you're having fun!

Sara

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Having played daily for 7 years, I would advise you to take Sara Dreygon up on her offer for help.
    Nobody in SotA could give better advice than she can... She's the #1 Blades avatar there is. :)

5. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Thanks for continuing to answer my questions Alley Oop!

And thanks to everyone responding to my newb needs, you make me feel like I'm feathering the Nest with fine friends. It's quite a lovely feeling

FBohler, FrostII, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

May I ask why you aren’t considered playing with us in the online game? There’s all the many many monthly events and so much more you could be enjoying (as well as meeting many of the very helpful and friendly people here).

But you are free to play however you like. :)

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Follow up to Anpus comment, not only is there all the events and what not, but also all the things others have created, custom quests, dungeons, or towns! Players like @Duke Gréagóir or @Time Lord have some very nice towns to visit that you can't see in offline mode, or Alphaines crazy creations.

Online mode is the same thing as offline mode, but with a community right in the game, you can play without ever seeing anyone, but if you do want to see others, they will be right around the corner, ready to answer you immediately!

FBohler, grandmaJOY, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  8. Umire Moon

Umire Moon Avatar

It may be old , but I ran with it and am doing great with the guide a lot of help in that . I mentioned it to TimeLord when I found it , he said you where one of the Greats , so I was honored to have found it . Thanks again great help.

9. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i always advise folks that very little in SotA is trash, especially if it is a raw material or crafting component of some kind. even if there isn't a recipe now, it doesnt mean there wont be in the future. with the latest updates even "trash" can usually be salvaged into more useful things. hover these items to see if they are salvageable and by what station. some weapons that otherwise look like loot to sell, when salvaged can give more valuable crafting components such as Elven hilts, Elven bow strings, bandit blades, sturdy mace heads, etc. for weapons you can hold left CTRL and hover over them to see the components that you can have a chance of getting when salvaging.

grandmaJOY, FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  10. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Ohhh, thank you for this tip! Being able to see what components might be salvaged is huge for the newb!! (Unfortunately, I am in fact and age a grandma so remembering half of the new information I get each day in this game is becoming difficult:D

As to zinc, I went to a Blacksmith table but it didn't seem there was any way to refine it. My bank is of course bursting with "maybe I need this items" so I was hoping to start culling some things.

FrostII, Time Lord and Tirrag like this.
  11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

If you've been doing quests along the way, you should have received your first Row Deed by now, if not, Anpus guides should cover the Outskirts scenes which are where you will receive it.

Once you claim your first home with that deed in any town*, you will be able to place chests, trunks, bags and many other containers in your home which will act as storage. A row home with a basement should allow enough storage for the rest of your days in Novia, so it is a good thing to get! Use your bank for things you want to be able to grab on the go (for some it's crafting materials, for me it's consumables like food an potions), since bank slots are limited but can be accessed from any bank across the world.

*As long as you are still playing in offline mode, in Online mode, those deeds only work in a Player Owned Town.

12. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

At least you don't have to worry about taxes in Offline Mode. I'm about 12-15K GP behind in payments and nothing is happening.

Adding to that, you have access to the Crown Store and CotOs are are 20 gp per, and available at any apothecary. First thing is to buy prosperity tools, then, once you have your row home, buy your own crafting stations, as you get the +5 bonus that the NPC stations don't have.

Enjoy!

grandmaJOY and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

@CatDude , unless you like the hard way, there's allot better ways :) "Get Feudal with it" :) Get your lot in a POT (Player Owner Town) and make sure one of your friends is a Lord or Lady (feudal title). A Noble at that level can grant tax credits on anyone's lot. Most good POTs have "Expert Crafting Tables" all set out in the town's center for anyone to use, which also means you don't even have to live in that POT to have full acess to use them. As far as tools, they're cheap, really cheap from NPCs which are usually placed around all those crafting tables. Many people think they need prosperity tools or artisian tools, but you don't. Your own player made tool once you've gained skill is just as good as any tool such as prosperity or artisian. Don't save your COTO for tools or luxuries, save those COTO to upgrade your lot to tax free, which doesn't take long at all as long as you're not splurging on luxuries or eye candy.

Players need not jump
    into the luxury market

[​IMG]
    "That's a Myth" :)
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

...well, one lot, once a month, for half the month's rent, and they may already have plans to use that on their own lot. but you can ask.

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Lot Taxes are not that difficult to pay, so significantly lowering them does provide a boost for a loyal friend in need. Lord tax relief powers are intended for their use towards others, as the Lord's pledge came with a tax free lot.

You may know more stingy Lords than I do @Alley Oop , but if someone is a friend, then knowing when they could use a friendly appreciation gift or cut them some slack would seem sort of the measure.

I never thought of you as a peasant before...

...and so, Hear Ye, Hear Ye!
    By the Lordy powers vested in me,
    ...I here by dub thee, @Alley Oop ,

"Squasher of the Bugs"
    [​IMG]
    and "Purveyor of helpful hints" ;)

So let it be written, so let it be done!
    ~Time Lord~:cool:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    Cordelayne and Violet Ronso like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

There is definitely a lot of players on the older side in this game as well. I like that Age is just a number especially in your own fantasy world. You can be what you like and go where you like :)

17. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

Ahh, a slight clarification on my part is needed. I was speaking in terms of the Single-Player Offline Mode, which doesn't have the option for a POT. Since taxes are irrelevant in S.P.O.M., the Prosperity tools save you spending GP for replacement tools, said savings can be spent on others things. Again, the only Expert Crafting tables available in S.P.O.M. are going to be what you buy. That reminds me, make sure that the row lot house you claim has at least 3 stories. I recommend the ones on Jones Row in Central Brittany. They are close to all necessary businesses and the docks. My apologies for not being clearer earlier.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG] :D~TL~

grandmaJOY and CatDude like this.
  19. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

I LOVE IT!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.