Return of Ransom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Revenant, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Instead of adding ransom back in give pvp rewards that create goals, interesting rewards, and scenes. Such as Adding in pvp quests, a bounty system, and ability to earn titles with buffs. Make killing a choice and give specific rewards for types of pvpers for example killers, Mercy killers, justified killers from bounties. Leader board could be expanded to give reward tokens, perhaps based on a justice system. Daily pvp quests give rewards, extra pvp incentives and more. Pvpers are people too.

This game was created with pvp and with many things not many systems got completed or got much depth added in.

Now is the time to go back to these systems and finish what was started. That's why I always say " if you only look at what IS you might miss what could be". Let's create what could be instead.

Ransom is not the solution and it gives an easy way out for devs instead of having them create for us giving a satisfying, rewarding and fun system instead.

I vote for completion of our game systems. Pvp is only one, our journal/quest system is another. We have always given feedback for improving this game so let's fight for that. I hate the easy way out thinking. It's done a great disservice to this game every time it was used.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The lack of any death penalty and the bad ransom system is where we currently are at. Just adding back the bad ransom system isn’t the answer.

Either an actual death penalty is applied to players (which does actually effect you in some detrimental way, but not something that is over the top ridiculous like losing xp), or a reworking of the ransom system.

I still feel the actual root problem right now is any fear of death. There isn’t any.

Johnwick likes this.
  3. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Progress has been slow.
    When a PVE players take down a boss, they get gold, items, and a chance for a good drop.
    When a PVP player kills another player, they really get nothing other than a bone part...
    So until they come up with a better system, put ransom back into The Fall, the Shardfalls.
    Just keep it out of Brave Coast, the Obsidian Trials, and the Ardoris Arena. Otherwise we would have to move PVP fishing out of Brave Coast and nobody would participate in Obsidian Trials or Ardoris Arena.

4. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

I would love a bounty option! It would give a reason to PVP with a decent reward.

Anpu, Tahru and Violet Ronso like this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I do actually have a question: How should the Ransom System work? Was the old system completely perfect and fine? Or do you feel it should work differently? And how so?

6. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Personally, I hate the ransom system. If they put the ransom system back into The Fall , Blood Bay, and the Shardfalls, I will be avoiding those locations like the plague. If they put the ransom system back into Brave Coast, it will destroy the PVP fishing and any player sponsored PVP activities we have there. I personally would probably move my house out of there. I honestly do not see the need to put the ransom system into Brave Coast since there is no mobs there. But I agree with Rev that there should be a risk involved in PVP zones. Since Devs seem to take a while to put in new systems, then put the old system back in for now. But please, do not put the ransom system back in Brave Coast, Obsidian Trials, or Ardoris Arena. Until then, I hope they are working towards a better system.

Johnwick likes this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just some random thoughts... I think something that is missing is a basic Bounty system. A player that is killing the most players should have a Bounty on them. When killing this player, you receive a reward, and then this bounty is gone.

But I'd have to think further on how this would be (and it will be) totally and completely exploited.

Johnwick and Tahru like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Factions & Faction Rewards!
    [​IMG]

and :eek: "build them from what we have built!"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  9. Vero

Vero Avatar

I would love to see the 'pvp rewards' system from The Obsidian Trials be worked-out more and carried over into pvp scenes as potential reward from kills. Something in that line of rewarding would rhyme pretty good with the Obsidian Trial loot imho.

Johnwick and Time Lord like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

If ransom got put in temporarily we would never get it out. Remember how long it took to get rid of it. Yikes forever. Please, please create a better system. I've given ideas.

This game deserves to finally have a decent pvp system with features. A system that is completed, rewarding, interesting, and all that jazz.

Give us the quests, bounty system, and fun and interesting rewards so we can get on with the show.

As always work is going on with another project (episode 2) rather than completing current systems satisfactorily. Nothing new there. It's the bane of this games' existence.

11. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

In the meantime, a lot of PVPers are no longer playing because of they are getting nothing out of PVP.
    From talking to PVPers:
    1. Many of the past PVPers quit because of the no ransom.
    2. The current PVPers are frustrated because there is no purpose to it due to no ransom (or consequence).
    3. It makes no sense to them why PVP zones are treated like PVE zones because there is no risk.

Honestly, I think it will take Devs MUCH longer to implement a new system than to reinstate and then remove the old system. Right now there is no reason to add "protection" from the oracle because there is nothing to protect from. The consequence of dying with PVE and PVP are the same yet one gets a 10% bonus while flagged.

Most PVE players don't roam The Fall, Blood Bay, and the Shardfalls anyway because they don't like being "PKed" so implementing the ransom wouldn't even affect them much.

Johnwick and Time Lord like this.
  12. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

I would say let the player determine the bounty, when the bounty is done that amount of gold is transferred to the collector. So basically, the player must drop let's say 2000gp in a bounty "scroll or bank" only one bounty scroll available from a person placing the bounty. Then if it's not completed in ...say 12 hours it goes back on the board. ( Just a thought on how to do that) also in addition to that, if you flag pvp, when you unflag it should take a certain time period like 2 hours or so before you can unflag.

Anpu and Tahru like this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Also, the bounty quest should be sharable. I love this idea. However, this also means there has to be (1) incentive for a player to place a bounty and (2) incentive for a player to play the bad guy. So if there is a bounty system then there probably also has to be full/partial loot (no ransoms). I am stealing from StarCitizen FTR, not my original thought.

Johnwick likes this.
  14. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

I think it should be whoever has the bounty scroll should get the reward for it, basically if so and so has a bounty on them from a single player that player should not be able to make another one on the same person until the older one is completed. There are a lot of way to exploit a bounty

Anpu and Tahru like this.
  15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Personally, I dislike this. 1st reason is why does it need to be players gold that provides the reward? As I mentioned before, all that ends up happening here is that we are implementing a more complicated trading system. Why can't the gold be generated by the game?

If losing 2 inventory items is a full shutdown for most players, how can full loot make it better? We work so hard for our items, not many would want to risk their stuff even more, this ain't ain't answer.

Any sort of ransom/inventory loot be it partial or full promotes the kind of pkers that most dislike, every time I kill you I get something? I'll spawn camp you till you leave or drop something good, rhats what's gonna happen.

Ransom or full loot promotes bad pvp etiquette, we are many to say it here, we won't PvP and we will avoid PvP scenes if that is the answer.

majoria70 and Tahru like this.
  16. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

The game would have to generate whether someone is worthy of bounty. I don't see the game doing that honestly it impacts the economy of the game. But if a player puts up gold then it takes from the player that would eventually spend that elsewhere. It will make it more personal as well, and regulate abuse from a player who constantly puts one up. UO was famous for that exploit back in the days. Bottom line if you can't afford it then you can't place it, as well as asking yourself if you want to break your bank to keep posting one. There should be regulated bounties from like 1000 etc. On up. You can only put so much up before it starts effecting your spending habits in the game. Personally I'm not going to spend all my gold on one person in a game, just because they pkd me.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't disagree. If I may present the case in terms of StarCitizen just to help make the understanding. If a player is focused on trading or gathering, they would buy low at one location and sell high at another. A pirate has the opportunity to catch this trader in-between and keep the spoils (the cargo) or make a "deal". The trader also has the option to hire support to make sure they can survive pirates. But if they don't hire support, or support fails, they can create a bounty to deter the pirate from interfering in the future or for vengeance. So the "loot" is more about the cargo or gathered goods in this case.

Now in the context of SoTA, this is more complicated because it is dependent on the zone you are in and you can just choose not to go there, and the pirate is not even targetable if they are not in a PvP zone. So it is super hard to balance.

18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That's why I've been pushing towards a system similar to ESO's Imperial City PvP. Whenever you loot or gather, you get these "tokens" that can be used to buy PvP specific things : PvP specific gear, PvP specific consumables, PvP specific whatever. In the case of Shroud, it could be artifacts, consumables, materials, etc. These tokens are what you risk on death, if you die by a mob, you lose x amount, and if you die by a player, the players loots y amount. It acts as a new currency, PvP specific currency, acts as a risk, as you can lose it, but acts as a reward for the killer because he loots what you've been gathering. In this context, no one loses their hard earned gear, you don't need to create trash bags to play the ransom system, and you don't need to worry about much. To balance things out, I would make it so you can't TP out of a PvP scene, nor can you walk out if you've been damaged within the past 10 seconds. This way, if you are under attack, you better have a darn good escape plan, or be ready to fight to the death for your "tokens".

This system allows Devs to easily add new things to these PvP vendors (that could setup shop in PvP towns like Blood Bay or Brave Coast!) which could be an easy way to add PvP rewards as time goes by.

By the way, these PvP specific Arties could have stats such as -X% damage from players or +Y% increase damage to players, CC reductions, etc, could be salvaged (or straight up bought as gems and jewels). Meanwhile the consumables could have PvP specific effects. The components and materials could be PvP specific once again, so as to not make the PvE crowd think they are being forced into pvp zones for these items, since if they do not PvP, they do not need them at all.

So yeah. I'd rather see this kind of system than a Bounty system that pushes the losers to lose their hard earned gold and such.

Tahru likes this.
  19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Just to give you an idea of why I dislike a bounty system at least as the first solution, it could be an extra system added after, but its not an answer to the current problem :

1. A player dying in a PvP fight still risks nothing, all he can do, is set up a bounty which will cost him gold.
    2. The killer has absolutely no reward from this, he is simply becoming a very attractive target (will promote fights against him, so this is a plus, but he still wont be rewarded even if he fights off the bounty hunters).
    3. There is still no additional reward for flagging, you are simply heading into a zone with sub-par loot (because except for 1 or 2 pvp scenes, they are worthless for exp and loot compared to any other T6+ zone), with a risk to die unless you want to pay for your killer to have more chances to fight.

So all in all, this system does not promote going into PvP scenes, it doesn't Promote PvP for newer players, all it does it create a chance for a price to be added on someone's head, with no incentive or reward added to the system, all you're doing is paying for someone to maybe bring back another players bones.

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I like your ideas, so don't take this as opposition as I target this one point. Death is a thing. Death is a penalty. Death is what nobody plays for. And for PvE players, a death is the ultimate failure. Death is the very definition of risk. I understand what you meant, but also I feel strongly that we should not brush the penalty of dying off so easily.

Johnwick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.