Building at Battle of Solace not rendering properly - invisible walls

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Berry Pye, Aug 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berry Pye

Berry Pye Avatar

Hello, Im a new player and Im at the Battle of Solace Bridge. Im in the burning cavern where a little girl is seen asking for help and I cannot see the stairs, thus, I cannot climb to the second floor of the cavern and talk to the little girl. Seems like there's a rendering issue in my build of SOTA.

pictures: https://discord.com/channels/179618786972925952/696288900238409738/881785544244346900 >> screen-shots-for-attachments channel

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudofth.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

08/29/2021 21:25
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570R CPU @ 2.70GHz (4) System RAM: 8192
    GPU: Intel Iris Pro OpenGL Engine GPU RAM: 1536
    SotA.OSX.64.1436.Date.08.28.21
    Area: SolaceBridge_Starter/WithTutorial
    Area Display Name: Battle of Solace Bridge
    Loc: (-53.6, 78.0, 60.9)
    Debug: U29sYWNlQnJpZGdlX1N0YXJ0ZXJ8V2l0aFR1dG9yaWFsfCgtNTMuNTc2LCA3OC4wMjUsIDYwLjg1Mil8KDAsIC0wLjUyOSwgMCwgLTAuODQ4KXw3ODQuMTI1NXwxMS45MjgwNHw2LjE1ODQ0NQ==

Elgarion likes this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Berry Pye, you do not have enough memory. the listed system requirements show 12gb of ram; your gpu does not have its own dedicated memory and is taking its 1536 out of the system's 8192.

is it possible you DO have a dedicated gpu and the system simply isn't using it? if you had the full 8 available it MIGHT work, mostly.

3. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Berry Pye , I'm sorry the building was invisible for you. I checked in my editor, and then again on the Live server, and the building appeared correctly for me in both servers. I think Alley Oop is on the right track regarding the system requirements.

FBohler likes this.
  4. Berry Pye

Berry Pye Avatar

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
    apparently my system doesn't have a high performance discrete GPU.
    I have an integrated GPU and running latest version of Catalina so my drivers should be up to date.

Last Modified: 8/31/20, 10:23 PM by apple
    GeForce 14.0.32 355.11.11.10.10.143

However, my system report indicates that the GeForce Driver is not loaded. [loaded]: no. That means it's using it's intel card instead of the geforce one?

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that looks possible? i'm not familiar enough to talk you through making sure your system uses it.

6. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

If the system is not loading the GeForce driver, then it either doesn't see the Nvidia GPU, or it is disabled somehow (in general). Typically if you have a dedicated GPU installed, then it's best to disable the integrated GPU, however, I don't have any Mac experience to assist in the troubleshooting or correct setup.

In addition, 8GB of RAM is really cutting it close for SotA, so performance overall may be questionable when the GPU issue is resolved.

Barugon likes this.
  7. Berry Pye

Berry Pye Avatar

According to apple.help my system automatically 'turns on' the Nvidia memory when it's out of power saving mode or needs faster graphics processing.
    I can wait if my system is going to have to use all its 8GB of RAM to play SOTA. I know SOTA is a relatively large game but didn't know it required a minimum of 12GB to run properly.
    Might have to do with a smaller game for now.

Unless...there's a way to skip the first mission at 'Battle of Solace Bridge' and not save the little girl in the burning cavern. Everything else seems to be playable. hmm.

Thanks.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Berry Pye sorry you're having issues playing Sota. Yes 8gb ram can be an issue for this game since it is a big game with much rendering. Us players do love our stuff which is much to render. I did upgrade my system a few years ago to 32g so I would not miss out on anything I wanted to play. I also have an ssd which I run Sota on. Heres hoping it works out for you. Best wishes. I'm happy to help anytime and playing as Majoria in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.