No wonder the FPS in Ardoris is getting worse...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scanphor, Sep 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

...with things like this being built...

Surely in a busy NPC town there should be some limits

[​IMG]

2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

That is nothing compared to the skyscrapers of fields I saw in Kookie Pop's POT. Holy crap, was it impressive. Also another reason why I love to explore random POTs lol :D

Barugon, Time Lord and Scanphor like this.
  3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

I must admit to me they are immersion breaking eyesores ;) but what people want to built in POTs is up to them and their governors to agree on :D

Within the context of an NPC town tho these types of builds are just lagging out the town for others...

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Art is art and I won't complain but many of these types of "farm" structures are not even used for farming. Notice the bananas? At 1gp each when sold to an NPC, it's then very obvious that it wasn't built for the bananas, it was built because it could be built, because there's zero demand for that many bananas :D~TL~

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Scanphor and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

No such thing as too many bananas I guess? ;)

Cordelayne, Barugon and Time Lord like this.
  6. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

I thought that the planter stacking bug had been shut down.

7. Lained

Lained Avatar

It applied to stacks that were too close for proper growing like right on top of one another, the above has sufficient space between stacks that they allow, though that's not my opinion.

8. NoMustard

NoMustard Avatar

i'm running SOTA on an i9/32gb/ssd/5700xt and my fps are ok...around 40-50(max settings) in Adoris...love the game so far....very beautiful zones and architecture.

Anpu, Time Lord and Tahru like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Welcome to SOTA :) !
    We are always griping, debating and interacting together here in our forums and we all ask each other questions about anything, so feel free to ask anything and have fun with us in our forums!

[​IMG]
    :D~Time Lord~

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I think Monkeysmack might want a word with you...

More seriously, some folks do indeed farm bananas to grind into yellow dyes for crafting XP. If this is the lot I am thinking of it really did appear to be for decorative purposes only though; there's only a perimeter of plants and nothing in he middle.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

You seem to be right, on the lower platform you should be able to see more banana tree trunks popping through the other ones, but you don't, so unless they have replanted or are planting some very short crops.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Art is art and though I may like some acpects of the floating arts, art has a way to always go over the top when expressing it. My own constructions most all begin by first taking a concept and then taking it over the top, before taking it all down again and then building the more conservitive model in the same concept style.

This was a real lag monster who's concept was toned down into a more moderate design for functionality...
    [​IMG]
    I had to wait as long as 1+1/2 minutes for the lot to load up while watching what looked like a Las Vegas water fountain show from the three levels of planters constructed through dias&pith.

This brings me to three points I find about deco:

• Many people won't see some construction that uses floating allot in it's construction. The viewer must look up to see what's there causing the increased loading time or they'd never otherwise notice whatever is "up". In the case of Ardoris, there's no way to see most structures from a distance due to building density.
    • Most deco is for deco sake and has no real functionality, but some does. Making multiple levels does have some functionality for expanding small lot outdoor copacity. Those bananas likely act as walls for whatever is deco'ed inside them, thus providing "view" as if an open air sky scraper office.
    • If you are a player like me, you live most of your sota life living out of just a few bags and boxes and the rest is just eye candy and crafting stations.
    @Alley Oop the solver of many problems, once solved a problem I had with my own Mega-Farm, where I was losing connection allot inside The Time Tunnel. It was a simple solution, "just spread out your stuff more and don't place so many planters in one chamber (underground POT). After that I've always spread things out more and out-right isolating some, such as the construction you see in this picture. I had to provide it with it's own underground chamber or encounter problems within it.

:rolleyes: All that just to make a point about Ardoris...
    In our game's pre-R-1 development, I and a few others began the idea of including a touch of Asia in our game, and Tracy Hickman's litterary works were inspired through his service as a missionary here in Thailand, so that idea flurished so our Asian customers could feel welcomed, as well as those who loved Asian style.

Ardoris was styled in part through the influences of "Pig Sty Alley" in the movie "Kung-Fu Hustle", refering to densely populated Asian cities, which in this case is encouraging in-game lag or low frame rate.

I have noticed that things and objects are looking much more sharp in R-93, without my having adjusted any of my settings. It' looks great for me, but much higher density places outside my own POT/s are causing me lag, for whatever reason that is.

In this way I think a place like Ardoris is forever doomed to encounter these issues the more stuff that's placed into it. I think it's always going to encounter these issues no matter if it's fixed this time and the next and the next and the next time.

I have a town guard there in Ardoris I named "Isaan", maybe you've seen him :)
    But he looks nothing like Stephen Chow o_O...

There's no escaping deco because it funds our game, so maybe we should all take Alley Oop's advise and spread out more.
    Ardoris is one of those places where open lot restrictions could help, but many just wouldn't like that idea at all.

Pig Cage Shanghai :oops: The inspiration of the Kug Fu Hustle.
    Yep, that looks like Ardoris...
    [​IMG]
    :)~Time Lord~

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  13. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Step back and re-read that. A game that started 8 years ago, today, is running "ok" on the rig you described. My Lord! Portnip and everyone should be ashamed of that. That kind of rig should slay this game, if not, then I'll let you fill in the colorful adjectives I have for it.

FBohler, Time Lord and Scanphor like this.
  14. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

This - my PC is decent (11tth Gen Intel, 32Gb RAM, 2080 and a gen-4 M2 NVMe) and treats most games with a degree of contempt. Whilst in most adventure scenes its a steady 60fps the whole way scenes like Ardoris and heavily developed POTs put a real strain on it and FPS starts to drop.

Having said that, many of our players are on less powerful systems or even Macs where performance will be considerably worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.