1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Salvage Fix

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Aug 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

[Yes, lots of people have already complained about this, here in the forums and elsewhere. But now that we have @Elgarion as an advocate of sorts, it doesn't hurt to bring it up again. Plus, Chris keeps threatening to do a "crafting pass, " so who knows.]

Once upon a time, salvaging items was a good process. You'd probably get some scrap you could use or sell, and you might get a component or a pattern, and a tiny bit of producer xp. But, a lot of people felt the drop rate on patterns and components was a little low. You could go through 20 or 30 of an item trying to get a pattern you wanted, and not see one. And for once, the devs listened. Well, a little, since they didn't change the drop rate on components. Except... they turned the drop rate on patterns WAAAAY up, and tied it to your salvage skill. Yesterday, for example, I was salvaging ancient montantes. Which used to be a good source of metal scrap. I had 13 of them... and got 11 patterns.

Now, that might not be too bad, since you can sell the patterns to NPC vendors. Except, when a pattern or component drops, it is the only thing that drops. You lose out on all the other things.

Then, for some unknown reason, patterns were added to all the rusty/shoddy/lesser items in the game. And, being low level items, it was decided to make their chance of dropping much better than it might have been. (Okay, I can actually see the usefulness of these, it might be kinda fun to make some really high end gear, then pattern it to look like junk. But nobody needs this many patterns of even "good" gear, much less rusty junk.)

The result of all this is that scrapping junk items from loot is now awful. If you're scrapping low level items to get scrap, you're more likely to end up with a large stack of patterns and very little scrap. If you're trying to get components, your odds of getting them are now worse than before, because you're so much more likely to get a pattern.

So, I would like to see salvaging revisited. Best case, would be for salvaging to have the chance to drop more than one thing. It would always drop scrap; plus a chance for a component (in those items that have them) and a chance for a pattern.

Failing that, at the very least, please turn down the drop rate on patterns. Maybe not as far back as it once was, but certainly less than it currently is. I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but this seems like something it ought to take a dev about a minute or two to deal with. The fact that something in this game has been an issue for this long, which is nearly universally disliked and (probably) easily fixed, is unacceptable, no matter how small the dev team is.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

One other suggestion someone had was selecting an option like “salvage only for scrap” would also be an alternative solution. This would be a selectable option in the recipe book.

With this option selected, you will only find salvage only. No patterns.

If such an option were available, I would be using it 100% of the time on metal and wood items.

I do actually like to get the clothing patterns however (the barbarian and tabbards, norgard clothing).

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The patterns sell for pennies so there is no economic reason to make pattern/scraps an either/or.
    There's no logical reason either ...you salvaged a hammer and got a slip of paper?
    Be nice if we could just get this working how it was in the first instance.

Be really nice if they'd actually make salvage worthwhile, since the amount of metal scraps you receive for scrapping a piece of gear (relative to the ore that scrap will make and the ore that went into the piece) is pretty poor. It was only ever a viable process on junk loot that was "questionably" better than vendor feeding it. And of course this is another system in Sota that is plagued by the RNG crap when it comes to actual components, even if you ctrl-click and you see it in there, you're still trying to get a rare chance of getting a salvage from something that was a rare drop to begin with, then it has to survive the even rarer chance of crafting it into something decent. Level after level of RNG, like with most of the game. It makes a lot more sense to say "hey, I want this handle" and break it off and unless you're absolutely inept you should be able to do so, 100% of the time. Particularly if you've dumped 40 million experience into salvage skill.

Tirrag likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I like patterns too, even the rusty ones. I just don't want them in place of scrap when I'm after scrap.
    True, but a separate problem. I was hoping to posit this as a "low hanging fruit" issue to maybe hopefully get something done.

5. Toular

Toular Avatar

Yeah, I could do with yet another pattern for a ragged leather chest armor or rusty sword. A stag clan armor, sure ... but ragged armor? Why?

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I actually like some of the ragged/dirty/rusty patterns. I just don't need 45 of them every time I scrap 50. (Actually, I don't really scrap leather/cotton items at all, because hides and cotton are so easily available I don't really bother with the "from scrap" recipes. And If I remember right, one of them is wrong and has never been fixed. The leather, I think. The scraps version makes less than the normal one, so even though it uses fewer animal hides, it ends up not actually saving you materiasl. Unless that finally got fixed.)

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

It's leather - (last time I checked) the 'from scraps' recipe gives you exactly the same leather per hide as the non-scraps recipe so pointless

8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, worse than that: you use twice as much curing salt.

FBohler, Scanphor and Anpu like this.
  9. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

+1

Also for realism it doesn't make any sense that enough of an item exists to get a pattern off it, but you get absolutely 0 scrap.

10. Lorddread

Lorddread Avatar

This really does need to be fixed and has been listed here for over a year and no dev has responded etc. Salvage should always produce scrap with a chance at bonus items in my opinion and def turn down patterns as one of them we do not need as many patterns as we get from salvaging junk. Please look at this again and fix it!!!!!

FBohler and majoria70 like this.
  11. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

This should be a ticket. Did you /bug it? I had noticed the pattern issue (if you get a pattern you get no salvage) and have intended to report it but I hadn't yet. I didn't realize components robbed you too.

12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Those have already been deemed as "Working as intended" in the past. It is currently in the right place, a Wishlist request, as it is not a bug!

13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

And since Artifacts can grant both Ancient essence, but also gems and patterns and getting one doesn't mean you won't get the others, I think now is the right time to bring the spotlight back on this request, it seems like it could be possible now!

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I suggested more than once before that the patterns get a tag value of one gold and be in addition to scrap materials.

FBohler likes this.
  15. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Patterns and recipes will enter into salvage (primarily for wood pulp, Mysterious Documents, and other thingies yet to be determined) when I get to making new scroll types. These will be long to cast group AE effect spells primarily. Keep saving those puppies up if you have extra. I can look at making sure those salvage attempts provide the scrap material at the same time, but ultimately it won't be long before getting a pattern that you already have becomes a nicer concept due to what you can find in ITS salvage. I still have rounds of other things to do before getting to new scrolls, but not too far off.

Wilfred, Vaiden Luro, Anpu and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.