PvP ideas or events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam Crow, Sep 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'd like to start planning some kind of pvp event and I'm looking for input. Have you joined or ran any pvp events in the past? What were the problems? What was fun about it? What would you have done differently?

I'm looking for ideas for events that we could set up right now with the current game mechanics. If you have any ideas at all, or if you attended any pvp events that were enjoyable in the past, I'd love to hear about them. Please save ideas for improving pvp mechanics for a different conversation.

If you've built or seen any arenas or other deco jobs that could be utilized in pvp, please let me know the location so I can go check them out.

One idea I have would be kind of a mix of pvp and deco. Each team would be given an empty lot (or maybe each lot has a guard tower) and a matching set of deco items to build a base, and each team would designate a certain player on their team as the "king or queen". Each team would get a certain amount of time to set up their base with the goal of keeping the king or queen alive. Once the time expires, the fight begins and the team that kills the king or queen first would be the winner.

Chris, jrs99, FBohler and 3 others like this.
  2. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

I bet 5K gold this thread goes off the rails in less than 5 posts :D

1. PVP fishing in Brave Coast has been a great success. The reason is because being able to win is not about how many kills but being able to survive long enough to catch the longest fish. TIP: Watch Rev's stream so you always know where they are and can avoid them.

2. Bloody Ball and Brawl: I see so many beautiful dance/party rooms and because I have a twisted mind, I came up with the idea to have what starts out as a formal ball and dance and then have it turn into an all out brawl. So I plan to host one in my dungeon... halfway through the ball, I turn the dungeon into open PVP and let the brawling begin! I will then hold a raffle for the main reward and then have other rewards for those who killed the most, died the most, etc.

3. Capture the flag. We are working on how to make this work. It would be great if the battle flags had timers on it. Until then, we are still working with this idea.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Chris, jrs99, Vaentorian and 2 others like this.
  3. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

I've been thinking of trying to hire a bodyguard so I could go farming Maple bands in PvP-areas. One hour, 10K reward if I survive, 2K for your troubles if I die, nothing if you kill me. No help whatsoever from me in case of an attack.
    Do you folks think I will be able to find someone who will probably just aimlessly hang around for an hour and die of boredom?

4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The one PvP event I actually participated in was Grumpy's Dungeon PvP event. He built a dungeon lap, a mirror image on each side leading into the middle where you should interact. The goal was to have your entire team come out on the other teams entrance, kill them or not, you just had to come out with all 3 members. It was a 3v3 event, with Lv Categories. It was fun, but managing to get teams of 3 was hard for the lower levels (only 2 teams entered the newbie category), meanwhile for the higher levels they had 7 teams participate. It was fun!

One idea I had after talking with Twistar was to make a "Seasonal Ladder" where one team hosts the others for the entire season. The goal is to turn the flag at the end of the Hosting teams creation, be it a castle, dungeon, etc. Veterans could coach a duo/trio, and could also sign up with their friends. Small gold/item prize pools could be given out for beating the hosts on the weekly-ish events, and gain points for clearing challenges. At the end of the season, the teams with the most points would win the larger prize pool that could include crowns and other goodies. The hosts could make teams as large as they would want (could be 9 people), but they would have to split the members into groups of 2-4 to spread out the challenge.

@Ysold Yes, some people would actually do that :)

Jikininki, jrs99, .dao. and 3 others like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

#5) This post is just because you're rarely wrong...
    [​IMG]
    and it makes no sense in runing a perfect record.
    :D~TL~

6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

"nothing if you kill me" hahaha

Seriously tho, I would be down for that, you don't have to pay me either. As long as I can kill or gather some stuff too! All maple bands are yours!

jrs99 and Time Lord like this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Good deal, sounds like fun. I finally feel prepared enough to join in on stuff like this. I'll try to make it to the next one!
    Sounds like a ball! Sorry... I have 2 year old twins so dad jokes are allowed. I'm not a big fan of dance parties, but I'd join one like that for sure :D
    I hear ya. I've tried to come up with a good way to do it for years with no luck. A while back I set up 2 city lots fairly close together with identical castle wall/guard tower layouts. It looked really cool, but I never got to try it out with anyone because I just couldn't think of a way to make it work with banners or anything else.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I remember reading about that pvp dungeon event, always wondered how it turned out. Sounds pretty cool, would love to hear more details about it sometime.
    This sounds really promising, I like this idea a lot. Seems like a great way to keep people coming back week after week.

Time Lord and Violet Ronso like this.
  9. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

The OP sounds great, I would love to participate in such event.

Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  10. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

I have an idea I am working on which may produce some fun no risk of loss pvp. Play nude if you want, no reagents used, no potions allowed, nobody may even die...

Gustfall - general idea is to try to knock your opponents from a floating platform to the ground. Last person standing type game.

I haven't tested yet though, to make sure it isn't uber-easy to evade gusts....

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
  12. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Have you seen the PvP arena in The Barren Shores that @Elgarion built?

I've heard PvP Fishing is pretty fun :D

As far as event ideas, I'd love to see weekly dueling events.

I really kinda dig BT's Gustfall idea :)

Elgarion, Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  13. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Friday or Saturday night will be the next one :D
    I don't have any prizes other than trophies yet but we'll get there!

Would love to see ya come out!

Elgarion, Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I haven't, thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out next time I'm online!
    Hoping I can sneak online for this. Have a super busy weekend coming up with family stuff so might have to wait until the next one. :(
    I didn't participate in those duel events that I think EVL use to host back in the day, but I went to a few of them and always had a good time. After looking at all the different players that have been involved with your fishing tourneys, I bet a weekly dueling event could get a decent turn out!

Anyone have any suggestions for rules or limitations for dueling? Should it just be a free for all so we can use anything we want? Or limit the use of certain potions and gear? Any input would be greatly appreciated because I haven't dueled much lately. Should probably separate it into two groups like I've seen done in the past, so there's a tourney for the experienced pvpers and one for the inexperienced and lower level players.

Time Lord and jrs99 like this.
  15. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Hi Adam,

In the spirit of promoting pvp, i'll offer you some input.

As @Violet Ronso mentioned above, I did some pvp events.

1. You need big prizes. The hardest part is getting enough attendance. Big prizes get people to step out of their comfort zone. That's the whole point of risk vs. reward. Talk to Elgarion, 'supposedly' Chris will give you trophies to hand out and perhaps even some other trinkets if you beg him. He promised to give me some, but never did. I supplied the majority of the prizes myself, but I did also have some donations from interested parties, which helped. So, if I was you, I would also ask in the forums or your guild for anyone interested in promoting pvp action who might want to throw some gold/cotos/items in the prize loot to help.

2. Needs to be interesting. 1v1 arena duels are boring and not an even playing field for mage or ranged players against dexxers, so design something with some space and obstacles or cover/traps.

3. Your event should try to match similar levels amongst the contestants. You are trying to attract people new to pvp as well, so there needs to be a beginner level if possible.

4. Once you have your plan and course ready, you need at least a month of heavy promotion in the forums and discord to give enough time for enough people to muster the courage to enter (enticed by big prizes).

5. Don't expect much support from the devs, that way you wont be disappointed like so many others before you. Elgarion gives it a good try, and will certainly promote it in his weekly posts, but so far they haven't been much help beyond that.

6. Make sure everyone understands the rules and have a contingency plan for what happens if someone disregards them.

7. Have someone stream it, if possible.

8. Good luck.

16. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

@Adam Crow If another example will serve, my Tuesday group started doing some PvP in the Obsidian Trial this last Spring. One thing we did to make things interesting was to set down a Magic challenge, no weapons in hand, other than wands or staff. The Trial is No Ransom all the time, regardless of whether they turn it back on for the rest of the world, and some in-game prizes are possible.

If you're willing to front some of those excess Obsidian Medallions you offered to unload last November as stakes for event in your town, I will show up, possibly with friends. Tuesdays work best.

True.

We did have two guys show up, claiming that "pole-arms counts as staffs". We had no means of enforcement and decided not to press the matter. They inevitably won the next two fights with melee more than magic, and then left.

In our case, it was Dinheru on Twitch. Every Tuesday and Thursday, 7-9pm CST. After a Summer Hiatus, he restarts tonight.

Good fortune to your efforts, Adam

17. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

If only they had chosen hammers or something, same school of skills... what a bunch of...

Time Lord likes this.
  18. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

I remember that night :p

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the feedback so far. It's been really helpful and after thinking about this for a while I'm leaning towards some sort of duo arena duel. In the past I would never enter these events because I knew I wasn't going to win and I hate losing. I'm curious if other players feel that way too? Would any of you be more likely to enter a team pvp match as opposed to a 1 on 1? I know I would.

What I'm picturing is a 2 on 2 tournament with randomly matched up teammates. I've played a bar game called washout washers for years and when it first started out, we could choose our teammate. My wife ended up buying me a set for my birthday, so me and one of my friends practiced in my basement like crazy. A couple weeks later my friend and I won all the $ six weeks in a row, less and less people started showing up during that time, so we decided to go to a random draw for our teammates. That was probably like 7 or 8 years ago and the group still plays every Wednesday night. That change was great for everyone, I loved it because it made it much more challenging and it gave everyone a chance to win.

I think something like that could work well here. I still suck pretty bad at pvp so the chance of being matched up with someone good each week would be rather enticing. Thoughts?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Unfortunately, I haven't even logged in for about a year now. Just offering some input.

Adam Crow, jrs99 and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.