1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

[Submitted 69742] VFX on some skills wearing off early

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills & Magic' started by Garfunkel Humperdinck, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

09/28/2021 13:32
    Title: The VFX on Many Skills Not Working Properly
    Reproduction Rate: 50%, as in they won't display about half of my play time.
    Blocker? No
    Details: The vfx on Shield of Ice and Solar Flare will often not display or stop displaying after playing for a few minutes. Other players report that Immolation and Shield of Crystal are also affected. I've also noticed that sometimes Solar Flare displays twice with one cast.
    Steps to Reproduce: Can't figure out why it stops working. Sorry. It seems to be completely random from my perspective.
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 32661
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU RAM: 6052
    SotA.Win.64.1448.Date.09.20.21
    Area: Novia_R6_Forest01_03
    Area Display Name: Far Hinterlands
    Loc: (-38.5, 15.4, 111.3)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjZfRm9yZXN0MDFfMDN8fCgtMzguNTAyLCAxNS40NDQsIDExMS4zNDIpfCgwLCAtMC45ODYsIDAsIC0wLjE2Nil8LTI3MjEuMzExfDMxLjE4OTY1fDYuMjg4MDk0

Edit: I would like to add that since R94 that I'm often missing the vfx on Cone of Cold and Ice Field as well.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Aleksander likes this.
  2. Aleksander

Aleksander Avatar

Can confirm immolation has this behavior too. After a few (usually at about half of the runtime) the vfx disappears but the skill is still active. Makes it hard to see visually when it goes off for real and needs recasting.

3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’ve been trying and trying to find any way to replicate the vfx disappearing, but haven’t figured out how yet. It seems to only disappear during combat in an adventure scene.

If you stand in your home, and cast immolation, either a 1 stack or 2, and then stand there and do nothing, the vfx will display the full amount of time the spell is still active.

My guess is then some action (a specific melee combat glyph?) can cause it to disappear, even if the spell is still active. Also possibly using some melee combat combo glyph.

4. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Try turning off GPU Occlusion in video options?

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I have that turned off.

6. Echondas

Doh. I noticed immolation VFX disappearing on me, so I turned it off and that fixed it .. was hoping that would help here too.

I just played with shield of ice for a bit and didn't notice it disappear.. I had GPU occlusion on tho -- so I turned it off, quit the game, and reloaded - but still didn't see it vanish.

I'll fiddle around a bit with this tomorrow on my other desktop during my downtime.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  7. Garfunkel Humperdinck

I would like to add that since R94 that I'm often missing the vfx on Cone of Cold and Ice Field as well.

8. Echondas

I verified that Shield of Ice, Shield of Crystal, and Immolation VFX disappeared after some time even though the skill was still active.

I cannot reproduce the issue mentioned with Cone of Cold, Ice Field, and Solar Flare.

@Garfunkel Humperdinck Solar flare and Ice field both seem to work OK for me. Can you think of a common denominator for when you experience this? For example, is it only when in a party, when wearing certain gear or a weapon, maybe a particular scene, etc?

9. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Unfortunately not. The only thing that seems to coincide with it is the use of Night Vision or Night Vision expiring, but even that isn't consistent. Could just be a coincidence. I've chatted with other players that are losing the vfx on these spells as well. I'm paying close attention to try to note any patterns that might reveal some information.

It's also possible that the problem with the buff spells is totally unrelated to the AoE spells. It might be a hard nut to crack.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Anpu likes this.
  10. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Submitted: Issue 69742