Mastering Armor crafting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Umire Moon, Oct 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umire Moon

Umire Moon Avatar

I have been working on Armor crafting and search Google , YouTube and wiki . Some of the information I run across is 4-5 years old .
    Anyone care to help me with some questions I have ??

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Ask away, people with the knowledge will answer.

3. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

hit me up

4. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I've made a couple videos on it, still wanting to do some more and also write up a text guide. I've put the links below, and happy to answer any questions here or in game (Coswald Dirthmire) or wherever is convenient.

Enchanting and Masterworking: Part One (Includes info on how materials stats and other basic crafting concepts work)
    Enchanting and Masterworking: Part Two (Includes info on gem-specific enchants. They work similarly for chest pieces)

Time Lord, FrostII, FBohler and 2 others like this.
  5. Umire Moon

Umire Moon Avatar

Ok on weapons , I noticed you can make a exceptional Hilt but it doesn’t show as exception looks like the others . But I have been able to keep it separated and make an exceptional blade then make a sword but it only comes out to a plus 3 . How can this be raised higher ? Or do you have to raise this with masterworking ?? Same with armor . Can it be raised above + 3 without masterworking it . Also I have experimented with enchanting and not master working the item and I lose less durability .

Time Lord, FrostII and FBohler like this.
  6. Coswald_Dirthmire

Any craft can be "exceptional", and the rate is determined by your level on that table (the Blacksmithing skill in this case). Exceptional crafts give 5x the "normal" XP as a bonus, but in most cases (refining ore, making potions, or crafting hilts) the resulting item is no different from non-exceptional versions.

In the case of swords, armor, and gear in general, an exceptional craft gives an added Durability Effectiveness bonus that will help items last longer when used. Whether the components that went into the sword were exceptional crafts or not won't influence how likely the sword is to be exceptional, that's determined only by your blacksmithing level. You can raise this level directly, by using the blacksmithing devotional, using engraved tools, or using +5 stations.

Some items can be more than +3 without masterworking or enchanting, or even without being exceptional crafts, depending on the material used to make them. An exceptional craft just adds +1 to the "default" value of that item (which is based on the materials used to make it). The truth is the + number means very little, and some pieces that are +14 might be much better than others that are +18 for instance. It's a matter of how much one values durability, which masterworks/enchants make sense for the piece or your build, etc.

7. Umire Moon

Umire Moon Avatar

Does not durability affect the quality of the armor ? Better durability better protection ?
    So as I see it masterworking adds bonus to the armor correct ( like speed , deflects armor augments , blade augments by percentages and enchanting adds resists Or atunements To spell trees With gems . Does it add any other bonuses ?

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

No, durability's only effect is how long the gear lasts before breaking.

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  9. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Your goal is to build the base item (weapon/armor) with the components that give you stats you want and to have it be Exceptional so it gives it the Durability bonus. Then one you have a few of the base items, you set off to Masterwork (on the respective table), Socket with gem (chest piece or weapon) on the Alchemy table, and Enchant on the Alchemy table.

Now personally, I do it in the following:
    1. Create the components I want to use in the piece
    2. Create the base piece (I salvage ALL non-Exception items). If I'm making a bow then I have at least 5 base bows created.
    3. Socket all the bows with the Attunement Gem I want
    4. Masterwork x2 (salvage any failures)
    5. Enchant x2 (salvage any failures)
    That right there gets you a 2xMaster/2xEnchant item. I make and store like 10-20 of these. In my case it would be bows. Then when I need a bow to use.. I grab these and go for the 3x on Masterwork and maybe 3x on Enchant.

NOTE: If you don't have higher skills then it is not worth the try of 3x.

The thing here is that crafting in SotA is super TEDIOUS with all the failures. So I build up a supply one level at a time... lots of components, lots of base items... and so on. That way when it is time to actually make an item, I'm grabbing the base items and just taking it or adding one more level.

Time Lord, FrostII and Umire Moon like this.
  10. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

I would not bother salvaging all non exceptionals anymore if you just plan to use attunement gem/jewels. The change to the way exceptionals work means you no longer get extra masterworks or enchants on a piece that is exceptional, they only get a very small durability modifier so they wear down a little less quickly. If you are using one of the rarer artifact gems maybe it makes sense, and of course if you have tons of mats to spare go ahead. But probably not the best advice for a new crafter just starting out.

Time Lord, Adam Crow, FBohler and 3 others like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is totally not important now. +1% item durability is not worth salvaging items for.

Time Lord, FBohler, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  12. Umire Moon

Umire Moon Avatar

Thank you all for the insight . I am sure to have more questions later . thank you all again .

Time Lord, FBohler and FrostII like this.
  13. Coswald_Dirthmire

I wanted to second (or, uh, third) that there's not much reason to salvage non-exceptionals these days, and I tend to take a less ruthless route in destroying less-then-perfect items. Especially with the new durability numbers, most things can tolerate a fail, or in some cases many fails.

I wrote a reply a while ago that talks a little about some of the crafting strategy I use (specifically for belts, but much of it is general strategy). I do tend to drone on (crafting is one of the harder things to get me to shut up about, I think it's a load of fun!) but there might be some useful info in all the waffle:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...d-enchant-option-weights.169394/#post-1326745

Time Lord, Xee, Umire Moon and 2 others like this.
  14. Umire Moon

Umire Moon Avatar

Thank you so much for the Vids and the information I am going through it now .

Time Lord likes this.
  15. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I don't sell / make damaged stuff. And yes... after all this time I have buckets of materials, especially the base gems.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You made it pretty clear with this comment that you either aren't playing or crafting anymore. Only using exceptional base items went out the window months and months ago when they revamped the crafting system. When was the last time you crafted any armor or weapons?

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  17. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I crafted my set that I used for my 4 week stint about 3 weeks ago. My crafting is to give me a weapon, maybe to list one or two for sale. But more important is that the goal is for me to actually craft "more" because I'm still raising the crafting skills up toward 120.

Making a judgement about how someone plays without understanding what they are trying to do is... well... is ignorant. Don't be ignorant, we have enough of that in the world. If you feel it is wrong then present what you feel is actually right.

18. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Ignorant is my middle name :D I just didn't understand your reasoning to salvage non exceptional and jumped to the conclusion you didn't know about the change of durability. My apologies!

FrostII, FBohler, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  19. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

No worries. Not mad or anything, just explaining what I didn't make clear in my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.