Questions and Answers from the 9/17 Ask an Epic Swordswoman event.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by necronut, Sep 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. necronut

necronut Avatar

Haven Ridge was host to Sara Draygon for a Q&A on Bladed Combat yesterday. The following is all the questions an answers from that event. MASSIVE thanks to @Sara Dreygon and Governor @Leucian for putting this together.

Coswald Dirthmire: Not sure if you planned to talk about it already, but I was wondering if you went back and looked at the affect of Bladed Combat on glyph damage, since it seems it was changed to start affecting it again
    Sara Dreygon: Not yet Coswald but I plan to... been away for a few weeks and just getting back into the swing of things.
    ==========================================================================

Bridge Troll: Why aren't axes blades?
    Sara Dreygon: Too axey

Nemhain: DO you think a non-magic blades user is viable?
    Sara Dreygon: Nemhain... yes, it is viable but takes a lot of discipline
    Sara Dreygon: I have never cast anything in game
    Sara Dreygon: No heals, buffs, etc. and I do quite well. I've gotten used to when to run, when to attack, and take advantage of everythin I'm able to

Vaiden Luro: Dual wielding or single two handed sword?
    Sara Dreygon: Vaiden... dual wield unfortunately
    Sara Dreygon: They made 2-H better but even with a super uber double-thrust 2-h sword (best you can have) it still lags behind my dual wields

Arthus Dimpleton: Will I ever get better at hitting ghosts, skeletons and liches with blade spec? Or is there a trick to do more damage to those?:S
    Sara Dreygon: Arthus... yes you will but don't discount dex... helps a lot with crits too but because you're missing a lot the crits matter that much more
    Sara Dreygon: I hit them enough but a few 1-2k hits go a long ways
    Arthus Dimpleton: ok thx :)

Slicktricks: when using Coup De Grace, how much does the threshold raise with specialization?
    Sara Dreygon: Slicktricks... good question. I'm not blade spec anymore... I do tastics and heavy however when specializations started it was 30% at L80 spec and I believe 37.5% at L120 spec
    Sara Dreygon: I heard recently that they may have halved the bonus though

Cowboy Bill: do you parry reposte?
    Sara Dreygon: Cowboy bill... riposte is still... lacking. Vesper and I tested and if I was scene master it worked for me and not for him
    Sara Dreygon: When he was scene master it worked for him and not for me
    Sara Dreygon: When it works it is amazing though

Vaiden Luro: What do you think are best materials for weapons and armor when speccing in blades?
    Sara Dreygon: Vaiden... best materials I believe are elven hilts (slight crit boost over meteoric)
    Sara Dreygon: Had a friend test it and the extra crit from Elvens did more damage in the longrun over meteoric
    Sara Dreygon: For blade
    Sara Dreygon: Meteoric for the longsword blade (main hand) and sylvan for an offhand dagger

Nemhain: What (except Dex) did yu do to get your crits up?
    Sara Dreygon: Nemhain... for crits
    Sara Dreygon: 168 vital points
    Sara Dreygon: 152 armor weak points
    Sara Dreygon: bonus from elven hilt and sylvan dagger

Cowboy Bill: do you parry at all and does the offhand dagger enhance it?
    Sara Dreygon: Cowboy Bill... I believe the offhand helps but have never tested
    Sara Dreygon: I go insane with defense (levels of defensive skills are obscene) and between parry, glancing, and dodge I get hiteith big crits or big hits very seldom
    Sara Dreygon: Especially since my super-parry and super-glancing last over 5 seconds each
    Sara Dreygon: With specs
    Cowboy Bill: aah nice

Lebu LionHeart: eagle eye?
    Lebu LionHeart: is your eagle eye 150+?
    Sara Dreygon: Eagle Eye 143 however doesn't affects blades (unfortunately) ;-)
    Lebu LionHeart: is there a reason why eagle eye does not work for blades?
    Sara Dreygon: Required equipment "Ranged"
    Sara Dreygon: Would work if you could carry and bow and a sword at the same time ;-)
    Lebu LionHeart: but it also says melee and ranged?
    Lebu LionHeart: its misleading.
    Sara Dreygon: The name of the skill buff is melee and ranged crit
    Sara Dreygon: They didn't make a stat for one and not the other until recently
    Sara Dreygon: But since you couldn't have both equipped at the same time it worked fine

Enfo Enfo: What changes would blades spec need to make you want to spec into it instead of lets say tactics?
    Sara Dreygon: Enfo...
    Sara Dreygon: Tactics is BY FAR the best spec
    Sara Dreygon: Would never give it up as...
    Sara Dreygon: Stacked crit bonus with berserker when tactics specced is now 145%
    Sara Dreygon: But...
    Sara Dreygon: Heavy is great for body slams (I can 6-stack stun for 20 seconds) so make killing bosses much easier
    Sara Dreygon: And great for PVP
    Sara Dreygon: Heavy and Blades spec are close though
    Sara Dreygon: I do miss blade spec a lot... it's still good

Cowboy Bill: do you use the backstab at all?
    Sara Dreygon: Cowboy Bill... the skill backstab or the innate?
    Cowboy Bill: the passive
    my XP) I body slam and attack from behind with swashbuckler and swashbuckler gems for an additional 22.5%
    Cowboy Bill: aah nice
    Cowboy Bill: yes you have a stun so makes sense

Coswald Dirthmire: How much effort do you put in to increasing attack speed? How much of your overall damage is from auto-attack
    Sara Dreygon: Coswald... I hate busting up my sword with autoattack... I actually turn it off sometimes when fighting easy stuff
    Sara Dreygon: But... I've attentuated twice today and auto attack did...
    Sara Dreygon: 96k compared to thrust 163k
    Sara Dreygon: double-slash 147k
    Sara Dreygon: Rend 112k

Lebu LionHeart: do you craft your own swords or buy them from crafters?
    Sara Dreygon: Lebu... I craft everything myself. Armor and weapons. I took blade masterwork to 152 a long time ago as it gives even numbers... 17%, 17.5%, and 18% for bonuses

Enfo Enfo: What scenarios do you see polearms or bludgeons having a use over blades ?
    Sara Dreygon: Enfo... polearms is AMAZEBALLS in PVP
    Sara Dreygon: The armor avoidance is insane and without that blades hit hard but armor mitigates that a lot
    Sara Dreygon: Other than that... polearms
    Sara Dreygon: Great against super heavily armored mobs like the lava boss, rock boss
    Sara Dreygon: I use polearms against them instead of swords
    Sara Dreygon: Also... if fighting the giant I often use polearms so other people can do swords so I can ensure we have the skewer and punture debuffs on it the whole time... other people can get the rends

Volgarr Despleigh: Dual daggers? Yay? Nay? Pointless?
    Sara Dreygon: Volgarr
    Sara Dreygon: At my level with my crits and a couple of great daggers, I kill ABOUT as fast as I do with my normal deck
    Sara Dreygon: It is very close... might be a tad behind but not by much. Daggers are a lot more expensive to bust up though than a longsword

Nemhain: DId you get magic resistances and if yes, how?
    Sara Dreygon: Nemhain... magic resists
    Sara Dreygon: I took the requisite attunement (like 93 in each so an average of 93 between the top 10 skills)
    Sara Dreygon: I also took each warding in the schools to between 100-120 except for life
    Sara Dreygon: I also had tactics warding which was great in PVP
    Sara Dreygon: I remember a fire made attacking me once... a very good one... and arrows were ticking 0-0 and fire circle thingy was ticking like 8
    Sara Dreygon: But dropped it because there was a bug where I was taking 1000/tick in lava and other stuff was behaving weird, too
    Sara Dreygon: 20x more than other people
    Sara Dreygon: Yeah... magic resist is great. I also have a lot of magic resist armor and stuff...this deck
    Bridge Troll: magic warding?
    Sara Dreygon: Yeah, magic warding
    Bridge Troll: one of us just GMed that - now lava will torment me?
    Sara Dreygon: Jump in some lava BT:)
    Volgarr Despleigh: Is Tactics warding fixed?
    Volgarr Despleigh: Or no?
    Sara Dreygon: Volgarr.... not that I know of but never heard it was and haven't tested lately

Leucian DeMorte: how do you handle dark areas with resist, and the low time of night vision or light
    Sara Dreygon: Leucian... some scenes are dark for me:-D
    Leucian DeMorte: i wondered
    Sara Dreygon: I allow others to cast buffs, heals, light, etc. on me
    Volgarr Despleigh: You need a torch of Jerik? I might have a few... hundred... thousand.
    Sara Dreygon: But I also carry light stuff like this deck
    Sara Dreygon: Nice mining helm and cloak:)

Slicktricks: does rend damage scale with stats?
    Sara Dreygon: Slicktricks... for rend
    Sara Dreygon: Yes, it scales with STR
    Sara Dreygon: Rend something and look at the damage and then add a brittle brawn and you'll see the damage if the rend increase
    Sara Dreygon: Make sure you take rends to 101, 121, 141, 161, etc. as you get an extra tick (2 seconds) at those levels
    Slicktricks: but the tick doesn't stack if you reapply?
    Sara Dreygon: yes, it'll overwrite the oldest rend. The ticks are set so mine lasts...
    Sara Dreygon: 26 seconds with no stacking...
    Sara Dreygon: Double or so that 6-stacked... with flails twice that again
    Sara Dreygon: If fighting bosses, I often apply rends with dual flails and then switch to my main weapons.
    Sara Dreygon: The time from the flails stays but the damage updates when you switch back to main weapons

Coswald Dirthmire: What is your strategy for situations where one would normally use a lot of purify, like fighting Xen?
    Sara Dreygon: Coswald... I have a lot of unicorn pots just in case... they clear pretty much everything but they're spendy so I only use as last resort

Arthus Dimpleton: Does combos really not worth it?
    Sara Dreygon: Arthus... combos are unfortunately not worth it to me... some are good like sawblade and hamstring for extra DOTS
    Sara Dreygon: But each takes up an extra spot in my deck for a rotating whirling or trip

Slicktricks: how do you 6 stack if you don't specialize?
    Sara Dreygon: Good call Slicktrick... meant 5-stack

Nemhain: do you use separate attack and defense decks?
    Sara Dreygon: Nope... I have a buff deck that I really only use before PVP and a potion deck I use when I start killing mobs or PVP... other than that and when doing PVP I use the left side of my bar for attacks and the right side of my bar for the best available defensive buffs for that scenario
    Sara Dreygon: My whole build is built on KISS
    Sara Dreygon: Keep it simple stupid
    Sara Dreygon: If you're thinking you're doing less damage
    Sara Dreygon: If you're healing you're doing less damage ;-)
    Sara Dreygon: This actually being helpful?

Coswald Dirthmire: Have you tried wicked king gems to increase the rate of glyph attacks?
    Sara Dreygon: Coswald... yes I have a deck with all 3. They're very nice.
    Sara Dreygon: Have to add filler attacks which I usually don't need to do as 14-15 is enough
    Sara Dreygon: With wickeds I do like 20 or so
    Sara Dreygon: Many gems are underwhelming but I really like wickeds... rends... and swashbucklers depending on what I'm doing
    Sara Dreygon: For jewels... dodge is amazing.
    Sara Dreygon: Says my dodge right now is 50.5
    Sara Dreygon: With all 3 and whatever base is

Lebu LionHeart: do you use bladed combat gems or would you do rend over those ones?
    Sara Dreygon: Lebu... I use the other gems as bladed wasn't really adding anything to damage (bug now fixed) but I haven't tested since then as I was away
    Sara Dreygon: Should contribute to damage now and will be worth a look
    Sara Dreygon: I'll have to test
    Sara Dreygon: I also dropped bladed from 170 to 160 as a result and may now take it back up

Arthus Dimpleton: I've heard bladed combat gems only added dmg to basic attacks, was that the bug? Does they now add dmg to skills aswell?
    Sara Dreygon: Arthus... yes and that's the rumor
    Leucian DeMorte: I missed that.. so bladed combat does affect glyph damage now?
    Sara Dreygon: My understandign was that half the damage from a glyph came from the glyph level and half from the base weapon leve;
    Sara Dreygon: Because in development people coule make bladed L40 and Thrust 160 and save XP as thrust is all that mattered
    Sara Dreygon: So they made is a split... 40+160 / 2 = equivalent 100 thrust damage
    Sara Dreygon: Needed both base skill AND glyph to maximize glyph damage but this was not the way it was working apparently.

Nemhain: do use use crafted jewelry? or artifact?
    Sara Dreygon: Nemhain... I use mainly crafted since imbued jewels appeared... but an epic lagomorph is great
    Sara Dreygon: Brittle brawns work great if you're stunning and attacking from behind or killing with rend
    Sara Dreygon: Pretty much crafted though

Coswald Dirthmire: Ah! Speaking of, what foods do you use, and what are your thoughts in general on the ones avaialbe to blades players?
    Sara Dreygon: Coswald... I currently use all three crit foods
    Sara Dreygon: Spiced tea, Ysa..., and Coel...
    Sara Dreygon: Ysaranth's stew is 10% crit which is amazing
    Coswald Dirthmire: Ysaranth should be 10% Thrust
    Sara Dreygon: So tea for the 5% crit, Coel... for the 7.5% crit, and Ysaranth's for the 10% thrust
    Coswald Dirthmire: Ah, very nice\
    Sara Dreygon: Aye... typo:)
    Sara Dreygon: During last two attenuations today... thrust was critting 1074 plus/minus 428

Arthus Dimpleton: What are your main active skills (non-situational) or which one would you recommand?
    Sara Dreygon: Arthus... Thrust and d-slash and offhand
    Sara Dreygon: Mainly those... Coswald has shown riposte is great if something meleeish is attacking you
    Sara Dreygon: But I don't get hit a lot with what I'm killing

Vaiden Luro: What is best armor material to use?
    Sara Dreygon: Vaiden... I like constantan (plate if not casting and chain if casting)
    Sara Dreygon: Gives the weapon bonus and gives focus
    Sara Dreygon: Epic for boots, gauntlets, and helm
    Sara Dreygon: Augmented for leggings... for optimal bonuses\
    Sara Dreygon: If use attacks... I'm always been successful with...
    Sara Dreygon: Offhand in slot 1, and thrust and d-slash in slot 2
    Sara Dreygon: Mash... I have button set for each and just mash it

Starkonja: better to mash than to charge?
    Sara Dreygon: Yes Starkonja
    Sara Dreygon: Much
    Sara Dreygon: Except for rend of course... and coup sometimes
    Starkonja: i was wondering about that, thank you. If you specialize in blades, do you know how much coup's minimum health is affected?
    Sara Dreygon: Coup WAS 30% at L80 and 37.5% at L120... heard they cut it
    though but not blades spec anymore

Sara Dreygon: Gift bags good?
    Volgarr Despleigh: This dagger doesn't have parry, I got robbed. lol
    Sara Dreygon: Heh... none have parry noob

EDITOR'S NOTE: I did my best to put this together in a couple hours this morning, if you were at the event, feel free to take a look at your chat logs and send me any I've missed, or post them below.

Finally, @Sara Dreygon I have put together the unanswered questions here at the bottom. You were very diligent as there were very few questions left unanswered.

Coswald Dirthmire: What do you think accounts for the difference between 2h and DW power. Offhand attack, sylvan daggers etc.

Arthus Dimpleton: Any tips on which gems/jewels to chose for a dual dagger crit build?

Coswald Dirthmire: Was that contrary-effect bug only on tactics warding as far as you can tell?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Hahaha yeah that Volgarr fellow got scammed

Thank you very much for this, love to read resources like this, and thank you so much for all 3 of you, Lucian and Sara for this kind of event! I really hope we can get the ball rolling on masters of their arts sharing their knowledge!

3. Leucian

Leucian Avatar

Violet Ronso (your still my hero), I am all about the masters of this game coming to speak at the Lute/Haven Ridge/Pavilion. I really would like to do Meet and Greets every couple of weeks. If anyone is interested in coming to speak/chat/hang out. Drop me a message on the forums or in game.

4. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Thanks for taking the time to format and post this. Great resource!

There might be more to add to the Tactics Warding question you tagged as unanswered, but I think it was at least addressed in the course of conversation:

[9/17/2021 3:24:08 PM] [3:24 PM] Sara Dreygon (To Zone): But dropped it because there was a bug where I was taking 1000/tick in lava and other stuff was behaving weird, too
    [...]
    [9/17/2021 3:24:43 PM] [3:24 PM] Coswald Dirthmire (To Zone): Was that contrary-effect bug only on tactics warding as far as you can tell?
    [...]
    [9/17/2021 3:25:49 PM] [3:25 PM] Sara Dreygon (To Zone): Yeah... I was with people who had everything else I had and they would chill in lava with 50/tick
    [9/17/2021 3:25:57 PM] [3:25 PM] Sara Dreygon (To Zone): I dropped tactics warding and now 50/tick

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  5. necronut

necronut Avatar

Yeah, I started working on it around 5am while I was still drinking my first cup of coffee, using Notepad++ Find > Bookmark > Delete and Find > Replace to handle a lot of the formatting.

Because there were a lot of lines in between questions and answers, I was moving things around and up and down in the document, I'm sure there's a few chunks missing. Good catch.

EDIT: More specifically, I tended to just glass over and look for lines near when Sara would say a person's name, and take that for the answer.

6. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Amazing thread with great info! Thank you all for taking the time to hold the event and share the results.

7. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Tested this today... Results below and quite interesting:

Level 10 Bladed Combat
    Thrust @170 - 257 attacks for 107.90 non-crit average
    D-Slash @170 - 426 attacks for 65.60 non-crit average
    Auto attack - 1071 attacks for 8.78 non-crit average

Level 160 Bladed Combat
    Thrust @170 - 257 attacks for 151.25 non-crit average
    D-Slash @170 - 426 attacks for 90.60 non-crit average
    Auto attack - 1071 attacks for 34.94 non-crit average

Glyph damage increase per Bladed Combat level: about .22% or 2.2% per 10 levels which isn't horrible
    Auto/charged attack damage increase per Bladed Combat level: about 0.925% per level or 9.25% per 10 levels which is actually pretty good

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

My math was bad... fixed it on previous post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.