Wanted to clear something up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

A good analysis from Violet.

New World's two chief strengths, for me, are its visuals and game play 'flow'.

The visuals speak for themselves. The game looks amazing. The flow manifests itself in a few different ways:

+ A seamless world with a well integrated map (By comparison, SOTA's flow is broken into zones and a separate, old school Ultima overland map)
    + A largely zoneless experience. Its easy to follow quests across the map wherever they are, never feeling bound to a zone (by comparison, SOTA is confining in its zone experience).
    +Engaging exploration-driven crafting system, one that easily leads non-crafting types to use it out of necessity. (by comparison, SOTA's crafting feels like a more hardcore, more esoteric option.)
    + Gameplay is not broken or paused due to story very much. One engages books and letters throughout the word for story, much more than NPCs. These can be read at any time later instead of during midst of a quest (by comparison, SOTA's earlier game play hinges on NPC text interaction much more heavily).
    + PVP is dynamic and integrated at a territory level. It has geographic meaning and is integrated with the quest system (By comparison, SOTA PVP is just dueling oriented).
    + Its this feeling of fantastic gameplay 'flow' for me -- across its entire world -- that makes the game for New World 'fun', at least until Level 60 so far. (By comparison, SOTA feels like more of a D&D modular experience, one module per scene).

I'd agree with the OP that New World did not copy SOTA at all. SOTA has strengths of its own that are different (housing, skill system, story choices, etc.). If I was Catnip, for SOTA's future I'd be considering how to keep those while sewing together the many disparate scenes into one world, and coming up with a next generation overland map for it. SOTA has features to be a New World competitor if it was a seamless world (not a mini-scene game linked by a 1980s old school Ultima map). Fix that, and the door to more flow is opened as New World demonstrates.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Time Lord, FBohler and Lained like this.
  2. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I agree. Lack of meaning for PvP and the scene patchwork that scatters the population are the worst problems in this game.

Terrence Phillip likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

As always thanks to all who give examples of experiences and feedback on a new game. As gamers it is appreciated.

The thing is many players rarely stay with a game. Some will but many will keep looking for the perfect adventure and experience for themselves. The important thing for devs on any game to do imo is to keep trying to improve the experiences players have to the best of their abilities. Players will come and go always but coming back one day is the important part. What do they miss? What do they come back to?

Leaving doesn't have to mean leaving permanently. So keep up the feedback to improve. Everyone appreciates different aspects of a game. Some will check the waters and enjoy it. Some will stay in the newness. That is a fact. Others will return to visit to check out new and improved here as that occurs. Sota does still have a lot of unfinished, untapped, and underdeveloped that can be done. As seen this game keeps on going.

One day there will be boating in Sota and hopefully a good treasure hunting system. Who will provide that feedback to make sure they are enjoyable experiences?

Now imo if Sota focus goes on improving and adding detailed fun and rewarding aspects to its systems instead of constantly tweaking players character just tweak items to forward players goals such as pvp items, gear etc.

Sota could finally become more of a gear game as others are even if this was trying to be avoided it is an important aspect in games and games loot systems.

Constantly nerfing and buffing of our characters takes that aspect of game play out of our hands. Let the items we choose do that for us. Then we get on with the show.

Anyway best of the best to all. Enjoy the journey and the newness in whatever game is being played. These experiences can give insight to provide feedback for game improvements. Some are useful and possible improvements here others are unique to each game and player preferences.

Beaumaris, FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  4. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Personally, I have not left Shroud. My monthly subscription is still active and my two homes are still being used. There are many reasons I have not left Shroud. The main reason is because I want it to succeed. It has potential to be fantastic!

But it completely fails at PVP. This is the main reason I hear why people moved to New World. At the risk of being banned, I will say that I was completely disappointed that it took two months to move a res ankh in Ardoris Arena. This spoke volumes where the priorities were regarding PVP.

The zone system has potential to really do different things for PVP...but progress has been slow.

Beaumaris, FBohler, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  5. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

In general it does not.

But all the changes and nerfs over the last months lead my whole guild to leave the game. In our opinion most of the changes did not make the game better. So SotA lost about 20 players and their Subs.

I still look into the forum and follow other news. And i have to say all the picking on New World especially does nothing to make me come back. On the contrary. These are really cheap moves in my opinion.

Sota has to have appeal and stand on its own

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh and I'm not picking on New World at all. Players should absolutely play what they like.

It's always been my journey here to suggest Changes and additions for this game and also rally for stopping the madness of nerfing and buffing character stats. It's a game breaker for many. Put more of the control in players hands by Focusing on item choices to allow us more choice in how our character works.

Anyway sorry to see you and your guild go. Have a great time. Hopefully one day this game will get a grip well however that looks to great improvements.

Edited

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  7. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

Sorry Majoria, i did not mean you with the picking. I was referring to the leaving permanent part.

With the picking i meant some players, Devs and Chris.

FBohler likes this.
  8. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Botocks, I cannot hold a grudge against you if you no longer exist in the game. So now I hold a grudge against you leaving because I can no longer hold grudge against you in game.

FBohler and Botocks like this.
  9. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

I miss you holding a grudge against me in game Bee :)

But i am relieved that your grudge extends over the boundaries of a game. Life would not be the same without you holding a grudge against me. Wherever i am :)

Anpu and queenbee like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The development budgets are totally different. Our development team fits into our budget with a future. Games developed like NW have budgets much the same as a blockbuster movie, which need to recoop their development costs, then hope to survive afterwords when the next big thing (game) comes out.

Go ahead and try to make a suggestion in NW and see how much impact you can have within it's development.

Personal attacks on our developers is a cheap shot, which reminds me of the time when Legends of Ellaria literally scammed players away from SOTA and left them with nothing. LOE took much of what should have been our development $ through personal attacks on our developers as well as our game.

I'm really happy for those who enjoy NW, but personal attacks and attacks on our game's own fun in a recruitment cause for NW is something I don't need on our forums.

This thread has descended into cheap shots as troll bridge to NW.
    [​IMG]
    At least Legends of Ellaria was a scam and not a sota vendetta o_O
    (Hamlet) It hath made me mad. I say, we will have no more marriages.
    I will officially never re-enter New World if I hear any more of this personal attack garbage.

I'm happy for those who enjoy New World, but personal attacks are what's cheap!

They are different games with different qualities.
    ~TL~

11. Katu

Katu Avatar

Personal attacks?

The point of this thread, is exactly what you said. NW has so much bigger budget and level of polish ( with the systems in it ), that you just can't compare these.
    But, its the devs who try to compare them.
    Suggestions for NW team? Look at where we are here, after the devs listened the players instead of their roadmap. So many backtracked features, to undo the requests of the players, who have long before left.

Beaumaris and FBohler like this.
  12. oplek

oplek Avatar

How did you determine that it has a bigger budget and level of polish without comparing them?

13. Katu

Katu Avatar

Are you serious now?

Chris, Anpu and FBohler like this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

well if you have stepped into new world or seen any trailers or have talked to a person who had done or seen these things you would know :)

it’s very very obvious Amazon has a bigger budget and also thier talent pool is substantially deeper . I don’t think budget is everything but it does help a ton. Ultima online is a game that it transcends budget. What an amazing game that many new and untested devs turned into a game that still lives today. A game that’s been out since 1997 thats still played by lots of people. Amazing games can be better then unlimited budget games. Sota has or had potential. That’s all it ever ended up being a game that at one time could have been great but was unable to deliver.

@majoria70 I remember a post you made about 2014 or 2015 ish. Showing what you’d like to see combat be like. It was a good post that’s why it stuck with me for 6-7 years, you wanted a game where you had interactive combat. You showed and example of two swordsmen fighting. When I first played NW I thought to my self OMG this is what she was talking about and I found it fantastic.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Terrence Phillip and FBohler like this.
  15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I got to try it out first hand at my buddies house and I'm not sure why New World has this many players right now. I must be missing something. :p It just goes to show how much advertisement, hype and money really does help in developing a game.

Not once, in the few hours I watched/played did I think, "oh this is cool, I need to buy this game immediately. " I was planning on giving it a shot after they added some content and ironed out bugs, but now I don't think I'll even do that.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Huh? I reread the thread, including my post, and don't see what you are talking about here. I saw a thread about thoughtful comparison and input, and provided that.

But if that's not the case, if the SOTA community has descended into attacking thoughtful commentary all to protect its own game, then, wow, I'm finally out of here. Good luck all.

FBohler likes this.
  17. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

It has not- you are A Ok

Anpu likes this.
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sota has always had the best community, well after ultima online of course. People can be passionate about the things they like, and emotions get bruised easily but I feel this has been a good thread. Sota has some cool stuff in it for sure. It’s just not apples to apples vrs NW their very different games with different objectives. For example I’ve never seen a New world dance party or any fishing contests.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Adam Crow likes this.
  19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Its true it isn't the main thing that drives players in NW... but I have seen both :p

20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I just gotta say I love the deck system in sota. I guess ultimately that is why I'm still playing. It strangely enough reminds me of eve online and ship layouts. I haven't found that in any other games I've tried recently. Not even close for new world. Combat is a big miss for me in that one, in its current state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.