Wanted to clear something up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

the skill system as well as enchanting and masterworking esp when things broke was amazing. The risk vrs reward of the early implementation was fantastic. I was really disappointed they removed the risk vrs reward aspect of it.

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I wouldn't say they copied SotA, though it goes in a lot of similar directions that you would inherently see with a skill-based system, and with trying to mix PvP with PvE.

But from some things I've read, they sure seem to be making the same kind of stumbling steps with open-world PvP that SotA settled five years ago. If they had been trying to copy SotA, they only looked at it once in 2014 and never came back.

I hated the deck system at first, because locked glyphs had a 30-second warm-up after you drew your weapon. So I had to learn how. I said something about it to Chris, and he said everybody must love it because everyone uses it. Then I pointed out to him about the warm-up time. The good part was he didn't just fix that, he came up with the charging system too.

But I still use a dynamic deck because it took me so long to learn it.

I have the same issues trying to get other various bugs and bad UX fixed, even when they get a JIRA number. Their priorities are with making new stuff in general.

That was driven by choices back in 2013 or so. Unity did not have the ability to do that (it only has for like 3-4 years now), and I don't think Unreal's engine did either. Making their own engine was right out. That it aligned with the overworld model from Ultima made it less bad. NW started after that had become demanded by game devs.

3. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Folks liked the grind, but at some point it changed from grinding to get to the point you could play, to grinding being the game you played, and well, 55 concurrent users. Well, I don't think the creepy dance parties helped much, consenting adults and all, but folks trying to drag you into their fetish play due to your outfit is cringy as hell.

FBohler and Brass Knuckles like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Is housing in NW instanced? I think game engine limitations were a lesser consideration than some of the other design goals, like non-instanced housing.

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Nw housing is instanced, but you can see out side the instance aka if you near a blacksmith you can watch people doing what ever there doing see them converse etc. you can even interchange with them though they cannot see you unless they enter your house.

The coolest feature to housing and something sota should do @Chris is they make housing functional aka when players place throphies those throphies give real world benifits. Like a trophy that you place in your house gives you chance to find extra ore and rare stuff while mining. They have some amazing features to housing and crafting sota could copy ;) add storage chests to your house and it expands your banking also stuff like that. Obviously those are hard to get and they have different rarities etc. the house size caps they amount you can place in a house. Totally rewarding people who work for larger housing. Also the feature sota should have done vrs the terrible teleport scrolls. You can recall to any house you own the larger the house the shorter the cool down on the skills. This makes picking spots for housing logistically important.

The whole world is open except the sudo housing it’s part instanced and part not, most the dungeons are instanced but on a couple of occasions I was in one and a random player went running threw (hero’s duty)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    FBohler likes this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Housing is semi instanced. There is a reputation system, based on Territory activity (doing quests or other things around the territory, crafting and what not) as well as decoration score, so the person who puts the most effort into the town and his house can have his house showed off, a way to reward those who put a lot of effort, and a little competition involved.

FBohler, Anpu and Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.