Video TDR Failure and freeze

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by tomhardly, Nov 9, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomhardly

tomhardly Avatar

I couldn't find this in a search, when running Shroud of the Avatar (it's been fine for at least a week before this) I am encountering an occasional blue screen of death with the error "Video TDR Failure" and alternatively the entire system halts with both displays frozen and the sound of USB devices disconnecting/disabling in Windows.

I tried checking the video driver which was updated before I first launched SotA last week and installed an older version, I didn't get the BSOD message with the older driver but the whole operating system seems to freeze with the devices connecting/disconnecting windows sounds in the background.

It had run fine up until I reached the Artifice zone not sure if that's somehow related.

Temperature reaches a maximum of 58c, it runs hotter with other programs. Memory usage does seem to slowly creep upward and hit 6.4GB used right before the most recent crash after starting at something like 4GB. GPU power usage hit a maximum of 82%

I have:
    1080Ti
    Core i7-4790k 4GHz
    16GB DDR3

2. tomhardly

tomhardly Avatar

Searching for the specific error logs and event viewer logs, someone with the same errors being generated and the same computer restarting/freezing had the exact A6210 wifi adapter driver that I used to have and I see it wasn't completely uninstalled. Uninstalled the driver and before doing that had dismantled and reseated all hardware in case something had come loose.

Whether it was needing to reseat the hardware or the wifi adapter driver (shown as having crashed before 4 out of 5 recent crashes of the game) I think it's resolved the issue.

Though now I seem to be running at a much hotter temperature o_O

FrostII likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'd open the case and make sure all the fans start and run like they should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.