LFG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Nov 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

thought groups already have group roll on all loot 1 gold value or higher automatically?

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The overall gold value of loot, since they adjusted the value of many items, has gone way down for me. Loot really sucks bad now.

Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

No, I meant that each player gets their own roll when they loot. As opposed to one roll when the boss dies, the everybody gets that result. Maybe not what you meant, but I wanted to clarify exactly what I meant. My point being, if 8 players kill Suutak, that doesn't mean 8 recipes drop. It'll still be hard to get stuff, but you'd get more chances per hour, as opposed to getting (maybe) one chance per hour.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I've always found it terrible. Actual gold value is meaningless to me, it's "did I get something I wanted" or not. And the answer is usually "not." But that's a quirk of this system.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

"Adventuring" is how I get gold for everything else.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

I want to approach this slightly differently. The loot discussion really needs to be had, but this is about an empty LFG. I am curious, what is it that stops people from making a group? I think that if we could figure out how to address what holds YOU back from starting a group to take down the giant or whatever lofty goal you have...
    I have heard the following:
    1. Loot is unfairly distributed or "not enticing enough" for individuals on a team (for all but one, and that one is at the whim of RNGesus). << I would propose that this get tackled in two sections -- first fix the reward items like Phoenix and Ulfheim dragon to distribute to all who are qualified and need it, then fix the other overarching issues.
    2. People AFKing/macroing during team efforts discourages some from leading/participating.
    3. "Double" XP is the only enticement that makes groups happen.
    4. Server population is too low to support groups.
    I am just a guy with an opinion, but it is my opinion that groups don't exist because we do not make them. I have a psychological issue that stops me from leading, although I push through that often in order to make the game more fun for me and others. I am not alone, I guarantee you 3% of the game population has the same issue, and likely more because people with my disorder tend to congregate in videogame "alternate worlds". But there are many other personality issues and communication challenges that make it so challenging or awkward to run a team -- to make progress I think we should attack the challenge of being the group leader/instigator.

ARE THERE TOOLS WE COULD ADD TO THE GROUPING PROCESS THAT WOULD MAKE IT MORE APPEALING TO LEAD A TEAM?​

In relation to the observed issues above:
    1. There are some controls over the distribution of loot already. The issue that remains to be addressed is loot value to individuals on a team. (not likely to fix this with a UI change...)
    2. This is tough. I have watched people be accused of macroing that I know were not doing so, and it gets ugly. I do think that the devs should look into a method to ban an individual from a particular team. Maybe if each team had a temporary internal ID that lasted while the team ran, we could have a ban that was related only to that one team?
    3. I don't think double XP is the only enticement, but it obviously is the most effective one. (Many will shoot me for saying this, but I alwasy felt that this shows that gameplay in 1x reward times is not rewarding enough. (again, loot discussion/reward is needed)
    4. While it is logical and not arguable that a larger population should be able to support more groups. We are getting an average of ZERO to ONE groups running in 1x exp times. Our population can push many more groups than that; the most rewarding approach to the issue would be to identify what makes the people present right now are afraid to start a group.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

A lot of people stopped making groups because nobody would join them. I've spent hours in a Suutak group without anyone joining. Eventually, you just give up trying. I don't think enticing people to create groups will be what causes group play to take off. It'll help, certainly, But I think low player population and low reward are still the bigger issue.

FBohler likes this.
  8. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

The small population is the main root cause.
    Basically it's all about statistics:
    There's a probability Popen for each player online to start a public LFG group.
    There's a probability Plookup for each player to look up the LFG window (of which many aren't aware).
    There's a probability Pjoin, given the player looked up, that they got interested and clicked join.

The probability to have a group in LFG would be estimated with an equation like this:
    PLFG = 1 - (1-Popen)^nplayers
    Where nplayers is the server population at any given time.
    Yes we can handle the probability of an individual to open a LFG party (P
    open) by increasing the rewards of playing in a party, but ultimately the term containing Popen is raised to the power of nplayers, so no matter how good is the reward, the probability will be low if there are too few players online.

Second step is to assess the likelihood that the newly created group will have any attendance. Empty groups are useless after all. The simplified equation would be something like this:

P
    not empty = 1 - (1-Plookup*Pjoin)^nplayers

And ultimately, the overall probability would be approximated for PLFG*Pnot empty.
    As both equations rely heavily on number of players, I consider this is a case of low population.

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if i see one person in a group for a high-level fight, i tend to assume that they've already done it and the last person left just forgot to close the group. maybe add a target time for the run?

10. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

I guess I can word this differently. There is one sure cure to the lack of groups. Make a group! What is stopping you?

I know Cora stopped cuz nobody joins. Is that the only reason groups aren't being made?

11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Time Lord Ahh - Kinison and Rodney - classic!! You know Kinison used to be a priest? o_O

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  12. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Yes.

The exception here seems to be groups for lower level stuff with new players.

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

At least he got respect.

Time Lord and Echondas like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Oh yes, a "holly roller" according to him. I think it gives us his dramatic flare to his performances, which he uses most within his punch lines like an explosion!

:cool: My view of life is, If you're going to miss Heaven, why miss it by two inches? Miss it! :confused: (Sam Kinison) :D~TL~

(ps: my taxes are almost completed and I get some cash so it's soon going to be time some more of that SOTA Pixel Crack from the COTO Store and playing more SOTA! :p)

[​IMG]
    Coming soon to a customized POT near you! :)

Echondas likes this.
  15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

No one is interested. When I first played the game, around release, my guild used to take folks on tours of the paths beneath the map, we'd do 2 or 3 runs a night, meet some cool folks and maybe get a new guild member or two. Now, everyone knows about the tunnels and doesn't care because none of those scenes can compete with the ore per hour or gp per hour or xp per hour of other scenes. When I last played, every group I joined was doing control points with pets doing the lion's share of the work, folks just sat around and used bard abilities while pets killed everything that moved.

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i would very much like to see something like "A new public group has been created" messages whenever someone creates an LFG with maybe a reminder of ALT+F to see the available groups. maybe "hot" group messages or other ways to get the LFG groups in front of players. this alone could fix a lot of awareness issues by putting LFG at the forefront of everyones mind with the messages.

i think there is a lot that can be improved for the LFG interface. i would really like a way to better indicate who the LFG party is for or to maybe forcefully restrict the group to certain level of players. a lot more options on the interface with checkboxes to give information would be nice but simply making the text box for the group name much longer would be a huge win as we can more properly describe what the group is for.

FBohler, FrostII and Anpu like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Great ides @Tirrag!

Tirrag, FBohler and FrostII like this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, here's my 2 cents on this topic:

Of all the in-game, on-screen, available for all to see icons or in the drop-down menu under the stained-glass icon , LFG appears NOWHERE !
    It is unrealistic for Portalarium to "assume" that new (or even seasoned) players know that they have to hit Alt/F just to find the dang thing !
    It IS important enough (most especially for new players who are looking for others that they could "join") to have LFG as a separate icon, just like your inventory (backpack icon), character (crossed swords over a shield icon), or any of the other 6 icons - important enough to have it's own quick-click icon ON-SCREEN.

Something like what I've added in the pic below:

[​IMG]

LFG is a very important "tool" for all, but especially for newer players to at least know there are people ingame looking for other people.
    It should have it's own icon... It wouldn't take up much screen space, and all of these upper-right screen icons can be already be hidden if desired .
    IMO

19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ideally, it should also show the number of groups available, like the social one does.

Cordelayne, Colgarra, Bayard and 4 others like this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Absolutely, Cora... good call !

Colgarra, Tirrag and FBohler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.