1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

[Fix Needs Testing 70035] Kobold time machine causes flickering

Discussion in 'Items & Inventory' started by Xee, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

09/26/2021 15:12
    Title: Kobald time machine (Sunrise causes flickering when changing from noon.
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? yes
    Details: Kobald time machine (Sunrise causes flickering when changing from noon machine
    Steps to Reproduce: place kobald time machine noon. wait for change. Then pick up put in inventory than place the sunrise one an boom sky strobe effect. epilepsy warning
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16) System RAM: 40762
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 GPU RAM: 5980
    SotA.Win.64.1448.Date.09.20.21
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_01c_template/Silverdale Market
    Area Display Name: Silverdale Market
    Loc: (-146.1, 74.9, 199.0)
    Debug: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxY190ZW1wbGF0ZXxTaWx2ZXJkYWxlIE1hcmtldHwoLTE0Ni4wOTUsIDc0Ljg4LCAxOTguOTgpfCgwLCAwLjY1NSwgMCwgMC43NTYpfC01ODUuMTk4NHwxMC43MjcwNnwxLjk4ODYxNg==

Jay Nord likes this.
  2. Fiero Nord

Fiero Nord Archived Account

11/28/2021 19:44
    Title: Kobold Time Machine (Noon) also causes flickering and screws up the time on your compass
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No, unless you're sensitive to flashing lights
    Details: The Kobold Time Machine (Noon) causes flickering like an ongoing lightning storm.

Steps to Reproduce: Place the Kobold Time Machine (Noon) on your POT. Leave the zone to an NPC town, not another POT. Wait at least 6-7 minutes then return to your POT. (Note while you're at it that your compass in that NPC town still says Midday even if it's really Evening or Dawn! It isn't resetting to real time, but carries on around the clock from Midday and never corrects itself until you log out.)

Upon returning to your POT, voila, flickering light!

Putting the Time Machine back in your inventory doesn't make it stop, nor does the time on your compass go back to where it should be.

To get rid of the flicker, zone out to either your basement or another town and come back.

Now when you set the time machine back on the POT, it starts flickering again almost immediately.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8809G CPU @ 3.10GHz (8) System RAM: 32686
    GPU: Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics GPU RAM: 4042
    SotA.Win.64.1490.Date.11.23.21
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_01a_template/Norstead
    Area Display Name: Norstead
    Loc: (106.9, 38.0, 300.9)
    Debug: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxYV90ZW1wbGF0ZXxOb3JzdGVhZHwoMTA2LjkzMSwgMzcuOTk3LCAzMDAuODg1KXwoMCwgMC4yNTksIDAsIDAuOTY2KXwzODkuNTgxOHwyMS4wNzM1N3w4LjE4NTk5MQ==

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

verified. i didn't even need all the steps: i entered town, placed the noon machine, waited a few seconds for it to kick in, and:

switching to sunrise did not fix it. switching from there to sunset DID fix it, and switching from there to midnight did not cause it to reccur.

placing the sunrise machine from a clean start did not cause flickering.

i'm not sure which machine, or both, is broken, since @Xee and i got the effect different ways

also confirmed that placing the sunrise machine and then leaving town shows it as sunrise on the overworld too; it's not reset on sceneload.

Jay Nord likes this.
  4. Fiero Nord

Fiero Nord Archived Account

On QA, I had never seen this flickering behavior before, but I've always had both the noon time machine and clear weather machine placed in my POT there. Tested further on QA to see if I can recreate the flickering with either of my weather machines in place. (All times in US Eastern)

10-ish: Logged into Norstead POT with Kobold Time Machine (Noon) and Kobold Weather Machine (Clear) already in place from my last session. No flickering, a beautiful day in Norstead.

10:07a Took the boat to Central Brittany to do a bit of shopping. No flickering.
    10:16a Took balloon back to Norstead. No flickering. Picked up Time Machine to inventory and exited game completely, leaving Weather Machine in place.
    10:41a Restarted client and logged into Norstead. Placed Noon time machine. No flickering.
    10:44a Took the boat to Central Brittany again, loitered for a bit.
    10:52a Took the balloon back to Norstead. No flickering.
    10:54a Picked up Clear weather machine, no flickering, went back to Central Brittany.
    11:06a Took the balloon back to Norstead. FLICKERING!
    11:08a Placed Kobold Weather Machine (Foggy). Flickering stopped!
    11:09a Exited the game completely to repeat this test with Foggy instead of Clear placed in conjunction with Noon time machine.

11:16a Logged into Norstead POT with Kobold Time Machine (Noon) and Kobold Weather Machine (Foggy) already in place from my last session. No flickering.
    11:19a Took the boat to Central Brittany, loitered for a bit.
    11:26a Took the balloon back to Norstead. No flickering.
    11:27a Picked up Foggy weather machine, when the fog cleared, the flickering started.
    11:28a Placed Clear weather machine, flickering stopped.
    11:30a Picked up Clear weather machine, no flickering.
    11:31a Placed Foggy weather machine, no flickering.
    11:33a Picked up Foggy weather machine, no flickering.
    11:34a Placed Clear weather machine, no flickering.

...a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  5. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Submitted: Issue 70035

Jay Nord likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I tried the sunrise version and it's unusable due to the flickering. I didn't have to place any other version of the kobold time machine first, just the sunrise one.

Perhaps if it was set to mid dawn instead of the start of morning then it wouldn't flicker.

7. Maluca

Maluca Avatar

• Title:Kobold Time Machine (noon) makes the syes flash constantly
    • Reproducible? Yes, by placing the machine
    • Blocker? rather ennoyng, and bad for the eyes
    • Details: I placed a Kobold Time Machine (noon) in Gobi Rose. Since then the sky flashes and keeps flashing until I remove the machine
    • Steps to Reproduce: place the Kobold Time Machine in my pot. I placed it again in the clock tower and indeed the sky started to flash again.

Thanks for checking this.
    Maluca

8. Alley Oop

@Belladonna Rose noted this happening with the sunrise machine in mossrest and noted that it stopped as it got later in the morning. perhaps these machines only flicker when they're trying to force the time of day to something it already is

Belladonna Rose and Anpu like this.
  9. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Yes i left and went back . It started doing it again even worse than before. I could not stay there long.
    this could cause some serious affects on folks who are prone to seizures from the strobe affect.

10. Alley Oop

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Can anyone provide the name of a Player Owned Town in which a Kobold Time Machine (Sunrise) is currently placed on Live?

12. Alley Oop

the one the spurred the last round of work was mossrest. i THINK it was flickering between around sunrise and maybe 20 after

Anpu likes this.