Three Specializations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Nov 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Would having three specializations be a great or terrible thing? What do you all think?

Ysold and FBohler like this.
  2. Vero

Vero Avatar

i would like it but probebly it opens the door for some 'unbalanced builds' again. Perhaps enable multiple leveled spec's but only 2 active ones at the same time? that would enable some more fun with multiple builds without some builds getting to OP

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I feel 2 is fine.

necronut likes this.
  4. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

I think 2 is fine. Maybe some tree adjustments to bring some of the less picked specs up to create more aggressive choices would be beneficial. Nothing trumps tactics as far as pure DPS for PVE, in my opinion.

Chatele, Anpu and FBohler like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think that ship has already sailed.

Anyway, I feel that most specializations are not very powerful. I think that once your adventurer level is high enough (say 100), you should be able to do a quest that would unlock a third specialization. It would give people more incentive to play and advance their characters. Since grinding is what this game is all about, might as well indulge.

Chatele and FBohler like this.
  7. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

How do you think a 3rd spec is "not very powerful" ? I would like to hear your explanation. What goal do you have now that is only achievable with 3 specs that also is "not very powerful" ?

8. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i have no issue with only 2 active specs at a time but i personally would love to be able to have as many specializations as we would like but only have 2 active specializations. UO had soul stones where we could stash a skill for later use so maybe we could do something like activate/deactivate our 2 specs once a month or something. i have been a regular user of the unlearn scrolls as i try out new specs and new things. i have rearranged my specs several times over the years. i didnt think i would ever do it but i dropped my heavy spec to try out air and sun at the same time where previously i have only messed with one of my specs. its fun to try new builds and craft gear to suit. its also fun to learn to work without a spec as i am still having fun with taming but just not spec now. the problem is i know i will go back to heavy as i miss it dearly but will be yet another unlearn scroll and mad training sessions to get my spec back up. is that process really needed? if we can only switch specs once a month and still have only 2 active specs is there really any difference than having to unlearn/relearn specs?

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Well, that's not what I said, but what do you think is super powered regarding specializations and how do you think it would unbalance the game?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    FBohler likes this.
  10. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Let me quote myself first:
    I mention, and I quote - "Maybe some tree adjustments to bring some of the less picked specs up to create more aggressive choices would be beneficial."

And you said, and I quote -
    We are in agreement, as far as I can tell, some other specs need some love. I believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that some balancing is in the works for other specs.

I can imagine a handful of specs combos that adding a third would be a vaste jump in power for the player. I can also see several specs adding a third doing very little because of how low benefit those specs are.

Barugon likes this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm not opposed, but as others said, it could make some builds crazy. Though, it kinda sucks that if you want a weapon and an armor, you have to give up magic and strategy. Or weapon, armor, and shield. Or two magic schools and a strategy. But coming with a system that allows things that kind of make sense but disallows abuses would probably be overly complicated.

Barugon likes this.
  12. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

This suggestion won't generate power creep for the sole reason of not replacing any system. It actually expands on the current system, which is quite the opposite of power creep.

Barugon likes this.
  13. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Look at individual spec trees first and then compare them to others. If you want a build that does, let's say for instance, hits hard with an AOE, there are several specs you would instantly discard. If you want to do great single target damage and survive, only so many specs there. Some of the diversity is also in what you sre fighting. A spec for AOE farming tier 15+ spiders is gonna be different than farming multiple tier 15+ eleven wizards. Then throw PVP into the mix.

Balancing all of this is definitely not easy, and personally I'd give wide platitudes of change to the Devs when they consider these changes. Having one build that can destroy AOE elven images, spiders, demons, and also PvP would become meta overnight.

I'd be happy to see some changes to some of the less picked specs though.

14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Depends what you mean. If you just kept everything as it is an allowed a 3rd spec, player power would go up quite a bit all at once. It would also help some archetypes a lot more than others.

Now that I think about it, it seems like the builds that would benefit the most are things that aren't currently top tier, so maybe it would actually be pretty interesting, but it's pretty hard to guess just what would happen. It would definitely be a big power jump though.

15. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Better to spend the development time elsewhere IMHO - the time to program it, bug fix and balance .. IMHO that time might be better spent on polishing the existing specializations, systems and content, hooking new players, etc — and new things like treasure maps, boats/sailing, etc.

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Given the size of the dev team - I would say that they have more than enough on their plates already - so I'd say terrible thing.

Agree with @Echondas on this topic for sure. ;)

Barugon and Time Lord like this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe we need an exp power sump, like a place where exp can be burned up forever for a reasonable gain of stuff, instead of just creeping to be creeping, because creeping is always what we're doin ;)~TL~

18. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Let’s not bring back the death penalty :mad: But remember the dread artifact spells that take XP to get more reagents for? There’s your XP sink, just need to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze to keep players spirits up and keep things fun?

Barugon and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well, I guess there's always the giant's mom & pop to consider... Ep #5?

Level gear is also something that's a possibility. Some high level characters have not increased their crafting to match their hunting abilities.

Many constantly insist that this is a fighting class system game, which specialization then fits into, yet we have a classless game (or have had) and thus the multi-specialization's wished for then do fit into. So, currently we are a classless game, with the acception of having 2 specializations, "of class". In that way, the OP is correct, that we should have the ability to have multi-class // specializations.

But there we go into Ep #5 again?
    Everything creeps always, it's managing that creep which is always the topic when playing our game at the top of it's content's envelope :D~TL~

Echondas likes this.
  20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The reagents for the Dread Artifacts only lowers virtue (a small amount). Tested using the Heart of Sorrows then getting another reagent. Did not check the other 2. Offline.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.