+1 Wild Lightning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Nov 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What exactly does this do?

FrostII and FBohler like this.
  2. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

I believe it increases the number of targets of air tree attack spells by +1. (Lightning would hit 2 targets instead of 1. Chain lightning would hit an extra target etc.)

Cordelayne, Anpu and Barugon like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Not saying you're correct or incorrect, @mystarr - but would like to hear what you're basing this on .
    I've searched the Release "Patch Notes" from the current back to R94, as well as Chris's tweets, and can find no mention of the new "Wild Lightning".

4. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's correct. Wild Lightning wand and bonus was just a rename of the wand of static discharge.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

From the R90 Release Notes
    • Wand of Static Discharge has been renamed to the Wand of Wild Lightning. The Static Discharge Bonus present on this wand was also renamed to Wild Lightning and has received extra functionality to boost various aspects of Discharge, Lightning, and Chain Lightning.
    • Chain Lightning’s base damage has been increased by about 20%. Additionally, it can no longer be blocked by shields and the max number of jumps it will make has been increased from 4 to 6 targets or 8 targets with Wild Lightning boost.

StarLord, FBohler, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Man, I wish air didn't fizzle so much.

7. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Lightning Storm has 0% fizzle chance.... (probably a bug)

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Lots of things have 0% fizzle chance.........

9. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Definitely a bug. Fixed, just needs to patch in. It was intended to have a very high fizzle chance penalty to armor.

FBohler, Xee, Alley Oop and 2 others like this.
  10. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

No it's not a bug. C'mon man!

(Just kidding)

11. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

:p

FBohler and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Angelique DeVailly

Angelique DeVailly Avatar

Why is it a bug? Air isn't for casters not enough firepower, as a caster we run out of spells and mana. Also SOA is harmful as a caster makes you run out of mana faster then your stuck in clothing and attacking with your wand. Especially if we use dex gear to get more damage. It takes more regs than ring of fire but doesnt come close to same damage. Also more fizzle chance why?

FBohler and FrostII like this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The Air school as a whole is high-fizzle, as is Death. As to why that's the school's nature, that was before my time.

Chris mentioned months ago in a stream about an alternative to fizzle, as he had noted that instead of it being a fluffy trade-off for some skills, it just resulted in people avoiding those skills. But, typically, he hasn't ever brought it up again that I'm aware of.

FBohler and Angelique DeVailly like this.
  14. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

That sounds like a great diagnosis from Chris.
    Let's be honest, the fizzle chance from equipment seems like a great idea on paper, but it ultimately kills the variety of viable builds and make people avoid certain spells.

A good compromise solution would be "fizzling" be replaced with penalizing the spell's crit chance / crit damage. This way the top DPS would still be cloth + wands and spell casting tanks would become a thing.

Of course, I'm all in for removing the fizzle system for good if Chris suddenly decides to.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I vaguely recall the idea being Life would have the least/no fizzle (because it would really suck for heals to fizzle) and Death would have the most, being somewhat more powerful as a mainly damage school. The rest would sort of be in the middle, with the closer they are to Death in the wheel glyph equaling more fizzle, and closer to life being less fizzle. I agree; cool idea on paper, not so fun in practice.

And, as I said, that explanation may not be correct, it's just something I sort of remember from a stream probably five or so years ago.

FBohler likes this.
  16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That explanation is spot on, but it also correlates to DPS output (although fires Damage over Time took the lead for most PvE content). Death, air and fire are all 3 very high DPS magic schools, for those who doubt it, Aleksander, someone who was a Taming archer for the longest time, decided back when Lightning storm was hinted on QA to make a mage build. He kept his Croc, as he is a tamer at heart, but changed everything else to be a oure air mage, and he mentioned having a DPS output quite similar to when he was an archer (more or less, I'm not sure, it's a few months back, but it was similar), but his survivability went up the roof.

When you compare magic schools between each other, that's the outcome, the further left you are, the more damage you do, and the further right you are, the less you do, and the fizzle chance accompanies that.

Obviously then comes Physical damage where nothing is immune to it (or almost), and then why even waste your time being a mage when you can get as much or more DPS all while being able to kill absolutely everything instead of anything not resistant or immune, and that's where the whole story shifts, but that's something else.

So yeah, just an FYI, if you think air magic isn't competitive, you are wrong, it's very competitive, within magic comparisons...

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I personally feel that specialization in any magic school should grant you a fizzle bonus for that magic, not just death magic.

FBohler and FrostII like this.
  18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I remember doing an Airship run with a very strong air mage that could rival my DPS, not sure if it was Aleksander or not. After some changes were made to Lightning Storm, its DPS went down by a considerable amount, not sure if they still can rival my DPS as Lightning Storm was a relevant part of their DPS.

19. Angelique DeVailly

Angelique DeVailly Avatar

I can tell you when lightning storm came out i was doing about 7k damage with a fully charged lightning storm, i do a lot of crits... then they changed it with parry mods i was doing 0- 500 dmg , they removed that and now im doing about 1.5k damage as it is now and im spe'd and have decent attun , thats why i was wondering why all the fizzle chance is so high for now seemingly low damage compared to other aoe.

Xithar and FBohler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.