1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Lower requirements for shadow potions

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Barugon, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The requirement (eight shadow essence) for shadow potions is too high. Please either reduce the number of essences required or make the drop rate higher. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Anpu and FrostII like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Great timing, @Barugon - 'twas just today when a friend asked me if I could make Shadow Potions. I told her I could, but then told her that it wasn't worth to time it takes to collect 'em.
    Like Barugon said:
    I hadn't ever "farmed" for these Shadow Essences, so I went to Spindelskog Normal and then Extreme.
    Mind you, these are Tier 12 and Tier 16 - so not for the majority of our people here in SotA.

Long story short - I killed 10 Feram Cavas and Vigorem Cavas - and ended up with 3 Shadow Essences.
    With the requirements for the potions at 8 Shadow Essences for 3 potions that last from 20 seconds to 1 hr - I'm thinking Barugon is "spot-on" with this request........ :)

Barugon likes this.
  3. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

This is one of the only potions I have to consider whether I want to use, and save for special occasions. Personally I enjoy having a buff that is situational; that is only for the times when I need every extra advantage. It's fun to be right up against the toughest challenges you can face, and have a trick or two up your sleeve outside of the "oh yeah, that's one of the dozen consumables I take every time I do anything" set. The Shadow Form potion is very powerful and I think it would be a real shame to make it a commonplace item.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I fully disagree. None of the high-end potions are "commonplace" but it's particularly dreadful having to grind for shadow essence. This is a real low spot in the game. They need to lessen the burden a bit.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Which potions are rare for anybody for whom they're a reasonable (as opposed to overpowered) buff? Even if we ignore that there are a lot of stockpiles potions from when they all dropped as loot, pheonix talons are a 100% drop rate, lich and troll skull rates have been increased, I stock Aether potions by the 100 stack for all types just from what's left after personal consumption, and so on. These potions can certainly be difficult to get; I tried a character from scratch and it was a while before I could afford regular dex potions for general adventuring, let alone aether. But that's on a character for whom an aether potion would be a near doubling of Dex. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

6. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I agree with @Barugon and @FrostII that the drop rate for shadow essences is pretty low and farming shadow creatures can be prohibitive for mid level players.

On the other hand, you can always buy the components from other players.

I never looked for shadow essences or potions in vendors, is there a lack of supply? I can work that if needed.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Maybe mid level players do not need unlimited access to top-tier situational potions? Everyone doesn't need everything all the time. Let's please keep a few items in this game a real challenge to acquire, and not just everything on tap for everyone all the time, regardless of skill, level or playtime.

8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

also, shadow creatures are not the only source. i know i've gotten them from storehouse ctontainers before and i wouldn't be surprised if there's a chance for them from atos' grill chef

Coswald_Dirthmire and Margaritte like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm not suggesting thst they become easy to get, just increase the drop rate a bit.

If killing one shadow creature got you one shadow essence then that would be fine. You would still have to kill at least eight of them.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

But killing 8 is a damn easy feat for anyone who can gather in that zone, that would devalue shadow essences and their derived products by a lot, due to the way too increased supply

Shadow essence is one of those rare-ish materials that maintain a decent value thanks to their rarity. This is exactly one of the points I was making about why the game gets boring, nearly everything is so readily available, that everything loses value. Me and Coswald had made ourselves a mission to keep a Shadow vendor stocked up in Arlia, so I would spend a few hours each week maintaining its stock at a very fair price, and it was one of the most rewarding shops I helped maintain. Increase the drop rate of Shadow essences, especially to one per monster, and that shop becomes nearly useless with such a low profitability that it wouldn't even be worth doing it.

I'm against this 100%

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The game is boring because it's all grinding.

FBohler likes this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Genuine questions, what will making shadow potions more common change to that grind? What are you going to do once you get those potions? And is it because you want to make them yourself or is it because you can't actually find stocked up vendors to buy them?

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It would make it feel less punishing and I make them for myself. I've never actually seen them for sale on a vendor. Admittedly, I don't spend a lot of time "shopping".

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    FBohler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.