What makes a good game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Osunn, Jan 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osunn

Osunn Avatar

IMHO. I've been playing online rpgs for a long time. I started on Gem Stone Warriors II. I really enjoy SOTA and here is why.
    An old programmers quote. "I knew it was time to move on. They had started inviting Marketing to the design meetings."

It is the downfall of many games from UO to SWG Online and many more recent games it has been the main reason for failures.

Thanks SOTA for the fun and just keep it up.

Lily Byrd, Xee, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  2. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I wouldn't say Ultima Online had a downfall especially considering they still have 100k+ players after 20+ years.
    It's mind blowing how they could keep it for so long.

Many of us came to SotA because we wanted a modernized UO-esque experience. Myself included.

3. dayero

dayero Avatar

I am very confused right now about what you think a kickstarter campaign is and what Richard Garriotts role in this game was.
    Imho marketing wasn't invited to the design meetings, marketing scheduled and ran the design meetings.

4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I came here because I loved UO a lot... played for a long time until the age of iso imo got old and 3d worlds were born which drew me out... back when they first announced that a 3d version of UO was coming I was ready to come back.. but it got canceled and until SOTA came along I didnt think we would ever see a UO 3d version which is why I am here today. I think that in time we will get our UO successor.

I think like the OP stated keep in trekking the way you are and we will get there. but that is just my thoughts over the last 7 years seeing where things have gone. they have added a lot of what players have asked and that wishlist grows so fast in comparison hehe so one day... is all I can say :)

Duke Gréagóir and Anpu like this.
  5. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

why came to sota:NO SKILL POINTS!!!!!![insert echo over grand canyon](ie a proficiency based skill system, and classless to boot)
    why i stay:because most mmo's use linear level, boring hand holding, and so much numbery in following a main quest to get max level(have 8 eso characters at 50 thanks to freedom on how to level), that your journey is the same as every player... though i do have some phone mmos with infinite automation[laziness]

Duke Gréagóir and Xee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.