Make the ruleset more comprehensible for all people.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Platyna, Jan 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platyna

Platyna Avatar

Hello,

I do not discuss politics in game, but I have recently learned that politics is not allowed on public chats, it is a problem that has no good solution - on one hand - it is censorship, on the other hand people long-lost the ability to discuss current politics in a humane manner, which is annoying for everyone and turns people on to each other. Maybe creating a different channel for adults, where you can discuss whatever you want, would be a solution.

However - there is nothing in the rules that states so, I know there is a warning on a chat window when you log in, but it is really easy to miss - if the chat is active it will scroll up very fast, also there are few other problems:

1. It is a very long text - while people in my generation are used to reading long texts, I am afraid not much people in younger demographic will actually read it.

2. It is not written in simple English, which is recommended writing for an international community with varying fluency levels of English (usually A1 - 500 words or A2 - 1000 words is recommended for such texts).

3. There is no clear distinction between forum rules and in game rules - which should be - as forums and game chat are two distinctive means of communication.

4. What made me to write this thread, as an ASD person, I am concerned that it uses vague terminology such as "excessively". What does that means? We not only have to deal with neurodiversity, but also cultural diversity - and people in different cultures may place completely different goalposts at "excessively". Honestly, I always have problems figuring out what is excessive for Anglo-Saxons while not having any problems figuring out what is excessive for e.g. Finnish or Russians - as they are closer to my culture.

5. I think there is a try to make this game children friendly, however - looking on chats - most of the people playing it are adults. I was present when one player told that people are not supposed to talk about subject X because his children play this game - he was shut down and told to disable universe chat for them. Well, maybe this would be a good idea to implement changes in the client for underage, however in the time of the Internet, does it really have a point? However, it would be the option for parents to consider. Many adults don't like the situations where they need to modify their behaviour to accommodate someone's parenting methods, and it causes conflicts too.

These are not an attack in any way, just some observations and suggestions. I do like the game and I do support it. The above should be treated as an attempt of impartial analysis of current situation and nothing more.

Regards,

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Mingo and FBohler like this.
  2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

It's a simple and easy to understand request for someone speaking native English. I agree with the OP tho, that it should be written out in very simple and easily translated text.

From what i read, if you just don't talk politics in the game, you will have no issues. This has absolutely nothing to do with children.

I have zero interest in talking politics with anyone on the internet, it usually leads to a toxic discussion. I was happy to see a message like this. There are countless other platforms that you can talk politics on. And if you must do it in game, you can always do it privately in a respectful manner.

Please leave the rest of us out of it. I log into this game to relax and enjoy my free time. I don't want to hear your opinion about politics, even if I agree with it.

Owsley, Lily Byrd, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  3. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Using this thread to comment on some issues that have been on my mind for a while. I'm addressing this to our dear development team.

Yesterday I also noted the message at login about discussing politics in general chats. As a european, it sounds a little odd to me. I am quite able to discuss politics in a mature way and do so frequently with friends. I understand american politics is quite heated up at the moment, and I understand you don't want angry yelling is chats and I see you might want to avoid that. But I still think it's odd to ban the whole subject.
    You say you want to keep the chats carefree and without reminders of real life. That's a hard thing to do. Am I allowed to say I can't play much because I'm moving house? Got a new job? Or got sacked? Or feeling depressed?
    Theoretically, am I allowed to mention I have Covid? Apparently I can't comment on my country's pandemic policy. But I then also I can't answer people if they ask me how I got infected.
    It's very hard to keep real life out of chats. It's what on our minds and we what want to communicate about it.

And yet, a while back, you actively encouraged us to join activities for a charity to fund american children's hospitals. It's a good cause, of course, but I can't understand why that isn't real life and most of all, why that isn't politics.

Thanks for listening,
    Ysold.

FBohler likes this.
  4. Platyna

Platyna Avatar

To clarify: I did not wish to discuss the content of the rules per se, especially, that as I mentioned, there is no correct way to address politics talk, so less harmful for the overall wellbeing of the players should be chosen, and it seems it was (censorship is not good, but constant political wars in a software created for us to have fun and relax are not good either, lesser evil applies here). What I wrote were a few observations concerning the technical delivery of the rules, that's all. If politics is not allowed, it should be clearly stated in the rules.

@Ysold You can discuss politics in a mature manner, but many people don't. Twitter is the example. Even nice and usually polite people can turn into Mr Hyde when it comes to the politics, and this is not pleasant to read.

Mingo and Adam Crow like this.
  5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I believe Universe and Local chats should probably always stay free of Outlander politics, but as for Novian politics, I think that should be embraced and encouraged, especially with potential Novian factional (or whatever they do) developments that could occur in the future, We would imagine as these things potentially occur you would think creating new Chat channels would be very much considered, although I believe at least initially there would be an embargo on anything Outlander Politics related.

Important to consider as the Outlander and Novian realms are interwoven through inescapable shared context.

But alas, the future is a big place... with enough time who knows what else we Outlanders might bring through with us into the Novian realm.

//I personally wouldn't like to see political campaign material, but as for the discussion of ideas, In the appropriate context, seems reasonable.
    (Ideas, politics aside, imagine Outlander hobby embassies, and yes that's as crazily awesome as it sounds)

Lily Byrd likes this.
  6. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I think that some of you are missing the point :) I think the idea is that most the gamers want to leave RL behind... I dont want to play my game and hear about all the stuff going on in the real world.... thats not to say that one cant take things private or to group chats or even to discord rather than the universe chat. that is all I believe they are trying say.

Owsley, Adam Crow, Lily Byrd and 5 others like this.
  7. Platyna

Platyna Avatar

Well, your input is insightful and valid, but I would like to stress it that I didn't make this thread to discuss whatever politics should be allowed on universe chat or not. It is only a suggestion to redact rules, so they will be shorter, easily accessible at all levels of English and more clear.

Mingo, FBohler, Xee and 2 others like this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Community Rules & Guidelines

CODE OF CONDUCT
    Do Not...
    4. Post excessively sensitive topics, including direct/indirect debate of Religion, Race, Orientation, or other matters of a political or personal nature.

Lily Byrd, Xee and that_shawn_guy like this.
  9. Platyna

Platyna Avatar

Now define how much "excessively" is and what does that mean. Do you see no problems here?

FrostII, FBohler and Xee like this.
  10. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

"To a greater degree or in greater amounts than is necessary, normal, or desirable; inordinately."

Of course, it is open to interpretation. Like most language is.

For me personally, when it comes to games and related communities, I focus on the "necessary" part of the definition.

11. Platyna

Platyna Avatar

Yes, I can use a dictionary, that the word is in the dictionary does not mean it is not vague, this is why you avoid certain words if you want your communication to be clear, also current login message says it is not allowed at all.

Mingo and FBohler like this.
  12. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

What is the english word that would meet your requirements for the precise level of Religion, Race, Orientation, or other matters of a political or personal nature you think the community would deem allowed in a fantasy game?

13. Platyna

Platyna Avatar

It is not possible to do so, political discussions are often biased, hence this is why the rule got modified to "zero tolerance", however it is still not posted on the official rule set.

Mingo, FBohler and that_shawn_guy like this.
  14. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Simple rule --- DBAD ?

Sean Silverfoot and Barugon like this.
  15. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--No one here mentions that you can BLOCK players whose chat you do not wish to see. I have a big problem with this "no political speech" ruling, especially the part about banning "without warning". My main character, Mingo TheBard is not so much one to troll or give into argument, but his former apprentice (now journeyman bard) Frida is quite outspoken with pointed comments from time to time.
    --As a result of this recently addressed "no politics" announcement Frida renamed her pet Wisp, "Brandon's Brain" (It was "Biden's Brain") but that probably won't pass muster either..
    --Few people play this game. Fewer still actively use chat and most of the chat I see is sales related. Woke Nanny State tactics limiting freedom of expression are of course within the purview of the game Publisher, but choosing to pay $9 per month or not is within my purview.

Spinok and that_shawn_guy like this.
  16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m completely fine with this decision. I do not like seeing political discussion in chat at all when I’m playing. Thank you.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  17. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Do people not realise that Politics isn't just something that exists in the Outlanders realm?

Sure ban Outlander campaigning / politics / references in main chat channels and the public places in the world, but we should really leave the door open when it comes to democracy and discussion of ideas in this game, especially those relating to the Novian world.

Elective democracy exists in guilds in all virtual worlds, If we lose the ability to discuss Novian politics and idea sharing in game, then are we building a virtual world or button bashing a doll house game?

Embrace the complicated, or we will just be going around in circles.

For all I care, the MAGA folk can meet up and have Outlander politics discussions, just keep it private, as most are here to build the Novian world, not the Outlanders world.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Mingo likes this.
  18. Platyna

Platyna Avatar

But I didn't make this thread to discuss if the no politics rule is bad or good. It went completely South now. And I did not plan for it to do so.

Mingo likes this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I don't come to SOTA seeking a political platform and I don't think others should either, because I pay for my playtime here in New Britannia.

So if you want to talk politics, then talk New Britannia politics.

Everyone knows "The Fellowship" secretly rules New Britannia.

It's sort of an open secret :cool:~Time Lord~

~The Fellowship~
    [​IMG]

~a cult you can believe in~

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello all. Well we did finally after so many years get a chat inside the game that is free for all. Personally I leave most of my real world topics in the real world. I consider the Universe chat channel as a place to delve into the game,easily get answers, provide game help, and light humor as mostly my character Majoria. She is part of me true but I don't feel the need to bring tons of RL topics onto her and into the game. I prefer The game to be a light hearted fun time for me. For more serious conversations I say take those conversations out of the game to discord, teamspeak, or whatever other venue is preferred. Let's keep our game a game not too much in depth real life stuff needed. It's playtime. So just my opinion. I'm always happy to help for in game stuff. I'm Majoria in game and I accept all friends requests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.