1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

Black Arrow Quest in Ardoris (broken again)

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations & NPCs' started by Raven Swiftbow, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

1. Title: Black Arrow Quest in Ardoris (broken again)

2. Reproducible? Yep.

3. Blocker? Only for the questline.

4. Details:
    - I know that this questline has been broken, fixed, broken, fixed. I know that tonight I spent two hours on it and kept hitting walls.
    - my quest journal would not clear the "search the tower" portion of the quest - even though I searched *both* towers, confirmed that I could see the market and the docks, saw all of the 'evidence' in each one, etc.
    ^-- that seems to be where the questline broken - at least for me.

- Despite the journal not registering that I had searched the towers, I was able to get Rolf to confess.
    - I spoke to Cugel, but he just acted like Cugel and did not acknowledge what I was trying to tell him and kept telling me about how Rolf's son died, etc. After that I tried speaking to the other NPCs involved in this quest, to no avail.

And then I searched, and searched again here in the forums to see if there were other open threads on this particular quest, but all I could find was threads which were archived. (Correct me if I'm wrong, @Alley Oop, lol. If I ever get to meet you in person, I have an oatmeal cookies on the rocks recipe that I need to share with you. . . . [i.e. I need to buy you a drink])

Thanks....

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Raven Swiftbow, off the top of my head, i think you're good on this one. sannio will know better, but i suspect you have to TAKE the evidence, not just SEE it.

Anpu likes this.
  3. Raven Swiftbow

I thought about that - but all of the "evidence" shows as red - as in 'do not take this' . . . . and, actually, I think I tried to take one of the red items - but it wouldn't let me pick it up.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The quest Investigate the Tower will complete when you click and drag the An Official Notice of Recall paper to your inventory.

I don’t recall this item or any of the papers being red.

I am standing right now in the tower and the item named An Official Notice of Recall is green and can be taken just fine.

On top of the paper is a key named Ardoris Guard Tower Key. That item however is marked red. There’s also a Pyramid Bottle near it that is also marked red.

You possibly aren’t moving your mouse specifically on just the paper, and seeing the name of the paper An Official Notice of Recall , your mouse pointer will be colored green, and then click dragging that item to your inventory?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  5. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

perhaps it would be easier to place the note in a few places and maybe one or more of these don't need to be under something. That, or make the key "green".

I've seen this trip up many people on streams before. It seems the key on top is tripping up a good number of people.

While I personally like hunting for quest items, that's not the case for most people. I think ideally, it would be good to have the "glowy quest item color" for all items required for any quest. But, I imagine there are tech limitations for some of these.

Raven Swiftbow likes this.
  6. Raven Swiftbow

Thanks, @Anpu and @that_shawn_guy. Yes, I did see the note, but when I hovered on top of it, it looked red to me - likely because my cursor just happened to be on the key. And when I read the note, it didn't say anything that Cugel hadn't already told me. Now, if I had found a 'journal' type of note where Rolf was reacting to the recall letter I *would* have taken that - as that would be proof. And another thought that kept going through my mind - where is Rolf's wife?? Is she dead? Did she leave Rolf because he went off the deep end? And why wasn't *she* watching out for her own son? Did Rolf kill her for allowing the son to die? Did she die giving birth to Rolf's son or what? (This is definitely the author coming out in me, I know, lol - but there seems to be many loose threads in this questline.)

7. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

The worst part about it is he keeps his job. Why not do what they did with Min Liang Tan? If quest is complete, the NPC has a different name and chat dialog.

Anpu likes this.
  8. Raven Swiftbow

Well, I do cut them some slack on the Ardoris quests. I know that the Ardoris quests are some of the earliest quests they did (right after Hidden Vale), and most of them are much more complex with multiple, multiple steps. It was a grand idea - but hard to really implement because there are sooo many variables - such as the one I stumbled across. And sure, they can fix them, but it almost has to be fixed one variable at a time. Since those early days, they've seemed to learn a lot more about how players interact with this world they've built, and as a result, many of the newer quests are simpler, with less variables - and they generally work better.

So those are my thoughts on it all. But I do also sorta cringe anytime I realize that there's something I want which involves questing in Ardoris, lol.

Anpu likes this.
  9. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

This is correct. You do need to move one specific piece of evidence into your inventory to advance the quest properly. Also, taking that piece of evidence is not considered stealing. (Your cursor will not highlight red when hovering over it.)

Earlier this month, I coincidentally made some tweaks to this section of the quest. I'm not sure it'll specifically address the issues mentioned here, but it's another step to make things go a little smoother.

Anpu and Raven Swiftbow like this.