Thoughts and observations on PvE Fire Elementals and Xavra, the Fire Pillar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anpu, Jan 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I understood what you said, and in fact I effectively repeated the point you made as a way of making mine. I did not mean to be intentionally obtuse, but rather point out why your point is, well, pointless. We both agree that "There is no reasonable logic under which the fire magic is dealing only non-fire damage." It's self-evident, so why make silly nonsense points about flamethrowers that are easily contradicted when matched with similarly silly logic?

The reasonable thing to do is discuss it from a game mechanics perspective, and once we have solid footing there it's trivial to backfill it with plausible logic that gives good lore and a fun story.

2. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

It obviously isn't self evident, as I was responding to someone who was literally arguing the opposite. Also, whoever most-recently set the attacks apparently doesn't realize it either!

FBohler likes this.
  3. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I've not known unanimity to be a requirement for something to be considered "self-evident"... certainly those folks wot broke from England didn't. Anywho, to me "damage from fire magic should be considered magic damage (of the fire type)" seems obvious enough. Anyone down for a conversation on what that might actually look like, in terms of game balance and all that fun stuff?

vulcanjedi and FrostII like this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Well if they do change mobs that cast from physical to elemental so that the resistances work better they will have to adjust a lot of death again or this would be a big nerf on heal backs from attacks for death mages. hehe I will watch this thread to see where it goes :)

FBohler likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It seems like a good solution would be for hits to do multiple damage types? So for fire elementals, a mix of physical and fire. Death mages could still get some health back; fire warding would negate a chunk of the damage, but not all of it.

Though, combat is such a mess of 7-8 years worth of band aids and patches, the best solution would be a complete ground up rework of all systems. Unlikely, though.

FBohler likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I believe the original reason for the change was because people would do things like set their summoned fire elemental to fight other fire elementals (being fire elementals, they were all immune to fire damage) and then happily mine all the ore in the area.

7. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Considering how intricate and complex SotA's systems are, I suspect that fixing this issue would generate a lot of undesirable side effects.

But yeah, that was a cheap way to "flex tape" the game's problems in the first place.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.