Bow Testing - Xen ,Envy , Crossbow of Accuracy ,Crafted Bows and Crossbows

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

[​IMG]

I guess the lesson is - don't trust the formulas, just believe what the dummy tells you :)

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Oh wait, maybe the dummy is broke......

3. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

What are you doing don't post this. Atos will just nerf Range Skill again.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Time Lord, Elrond and Boris Mondragon like this.
  4. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Update - Rock Maple Longbows put to the test.... Rock maple crossbows coming soon .

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

I am still waiting on Muskets and Blunderbuss.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Please remember to take every single word in sota to heart.

Weapon Critical chance =/= Weapon Critical Modifier.

These are 2 different things and interact differently with the Crit chance of the weapon. Also, the dexterity of your target will influence your chance to crit.

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Though this thread is 2 years old, does it still hold true o_O?'

As some here may know, I have a character named "Auto Swing", who uses Auto Attack as his main source of attack damage (for RL physical disability reasons).

My question is this:

• Crossbow vs Bow, which would be better in using Auto Attack?
    • Which of all the crafting materials is best to craft a bow or crossbow from, for Auto Attacking damage?
    As technical and introcate as our game's controls and craft enhancements have become, I believe it's of vital importance for we as a community to develop "levels of competence" within our new player character development advice to players, for the purposes of making our game more new user friendly, by way of a better sloping on-ramp onto the highways of our SOTA high-tech.

:rolleyes: This is what the "Auto Swing" (chr) project is all about. We need to better see and accomidate differing player's levels of tech-tolleration & physical enjoyment, and know those steps up our ladders so we can accomidate those of lesser ability players and also aide those who will climb to our highest levels, using the steps we need to more properly describe and subscribe to.

Imagine trying to teach a (for instance) Thai person, who reads little to no english, to play our game. If there are clear steps, then this can be very possible. SOTA in this way is an English language learning game, who's enticements are the steps to avatar power.

And... Being the Time Lord, I love resurrecting old threads and this is a good one! :D~TL~

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Auto attack is a big part of my character's makeup. I know that others probably get significantly more DPS using unlocked decks and charged attacks but micro-managing everything and having to be on top of it quickly sucks all the fun out.

Aldo, vulcanjedi and Time Lord like this.
  9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I think it would depend on all the other gear the character is wearing too. I'm not sure if there is a general answer to that, because there are other variables. You can wear armor with high crit or high base damage, or a mix. As well as using Imbued gems and jewels. There are many different setups to try and test out, and most everyone uses attack skills as their main damage output, so Id be surprised if anyone has done extensive testing on what would be best for only auto attack damage. I'm not an archer though, so hopefully one of them has a better idea of what would work best for Auto attack.

That's the beauty of this game. There are so many different ways to accomplish the same thing. What's tedious for some could be fun for others. I personally like both, sometimes I'm in the mood for easy combat, other times I really enjoy using mind lock and stacking glyphs like crazy. It can be very satisfying and fun once you get to the point where you can stack multiple skills without even thinking. Eventually it becomes second nature and you realize you're doing it without much effort.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm going to use your comment as a sounding board :) so I can babble onward :D...

@Adam Crow , basicly what we need to do is to think of our new players as "minions" and what we ourselves would like to see our minions wearing and using in order for them to gain a respectable slot in our higher content public (Alt-f) hunting parties. It's this question which needs to be overcome for our public hunting parties to grow to a point where we can (for instance), fill a public hunting party for the "Airship", when our game audience falls at certain parts of our game's full circle 24 hour day, thus the reference to "paving the way" for an audience who may not speak print or read English well enough to make their own way. The "Airship" is a perfect target for such training, as archery is easy and to fill the Poop-Deck and it's stairways with archers, with an Ankh very near by, even newbie archers, would be an asset to those times when our game is at a low player volume and in need to fill a large enough party to take on the DPS demands of "the Airship". It would then be to the newbie just a matter of a few public hunting party trips there, to have enough exp accumulated to have built a personally endearing character, enough so to wish to repeatedly return to our game.

The information within this thread begun by Elrond is important to many "great players", which is self evident by all the great players who have commented here, yet to the English skill challenged newbie player, this information is vital, yet would never reach their understanding which means that it would be a producer of nothing but frustration, unless this information is boiled down to becoming "a first step" (as it is within our character creation), the first step of defending one's self with a bow & arrow. And, just the same as @Barugon and I, a more comfortable play, translates in any language a more enjoyable play time. This is where once learned, our "Skill Glyphs" become their own language and thus the need to read much more English is relieved and the desired "Skill Glyph" takes over.

:rolleyes: There's allot of information here and deep SOTA/applied math data, which is why the question of...

• Crossbow vs Bow, which would be better in using Auto Attack?
      • Which of all the crafting materials is best to craft a bow or crossbow from, for Auto Attacking damage?
    becomes a matter of importance, yet viewed from the perspectve of great players, who may not have enough players to recruite into such a high level/high exp yielding content as the "Airship" is.

*Special Note: When the western players are on durring their peak playing hours, it's a lucky thing to hold a spot on that public 8-12 player party, yet when Asia is having it's peak hours, it's very difficult to impossible to find enough players even to mount an attack at all, and thus the most popular exp party spot cannot be touched and the same can be said to many of our other high content/high exp popular hunting areas.

'And that's awkward o_O'
    [​IMG]
    "What should such minions be using?"

~Time Lord~

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Aldo likes this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That area isn't for new players. There are plenty of great areas in the game new players can earn xp if they group up. It is not necessary to gain 15 mil xp an hour to enjoy the game.

I've never suggested for new players to jump into end game parties to level up, and I never will. I don't have any problem with players that do it, but in my opinion it's not good for the game or the new player.

Hit Girl and Alley Oop like this.
  12. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Okay, enough suspense.

*drum roll*

Crossbow + Rock Maple + Imbued Elven String of Speed.

Socket the Crossbow with 2 Deadly Bandit Gems if you can.

Make sure to build good DEX in order to get more crits!

Hit Girl, Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

• Longbow uses two strings; crossbow uses more wood
    • Crossbow shoots slightly slower than a longbow
    • Longbow gets slightly higher strength bonus
    • Crossbow has longer range.

Hit Girl and Time Lord like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

FBohler, Hit Girl and StarLord like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What are the properties of those gems?

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And what arti bow has to be salvaged to get them ?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

+7.5% base weapon damage, salvaged from Leather bandit chest armor

18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

As @Violet Ronso mentioned, it's 7.5% per gem, so for any ranged weapon it's 15% base damage bonus.
    Downside is that you'll need average 8 Common Bandit chests to get each gem. If you're short on gold, this would take quite a grind to loot by yourself.

StarLord, FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

One of the things I've been running into (refering to all that's in these last few above comments), is that once the mention or additives of special gems, and things to find to get those gems (= allot of time), are we not then begining to speak of the creation of a bow that a player may not wish to burn up it's durability hunting common everyday game and wish to save it for shooting at something like Pele in the Breach.

At some point (differing with each player's crafting skill level and amount of playtime availible) 2 or three bows of differing quality may be better, each for different game. "Auto Swing" (the chr) for instance can burn up a bow or sword in no time due to his attack speed, meaning that weapons of any type will never last long and thus fall further into being better described as "Archery Consumables" o_O~TL~

"Auto Swing" the chr, now goes through 3000+arrows per att Airship Party Raid
    [​IMG]
    This means that with each hunting raid there's an extremely noticable wear&tear.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    StarLord likes this.
  20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Agreed, as with all things in this game, someone with enough resources (time, money or actual stockpiled resources) can afford to create and maintain multiple sets. Some pieces of gear I own barely have 20 max durability, I do not use these for anything I can hunt down easily, I use them when I need that extra boost, and quickly take them off after.

Still, these suggestions are generally to help you push to the next tier of activities, one change might not do much, but start stacking all these different suggestions and all of a sudden you hunt 2 or 3 tiers higher than you used to!

I did a full respec this week, dropped all my skills to their lowest level, took off all my gear and started using vendor bought gear, and my gosh is there a difference in power that is immediately noticeable, just crafting my first wand made a noticeable change in my power, and I haven't even gemmed or Enchanted it yet, I want to see the progression each time I add something, one thing at a time, and see what's useful or not, what is necessary or not for my build, and it's proving to be quite fun and challenging, one small step at a time, until the cost is not sustainable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.